2009 F150 + Northtrail 31QBS?

irvin56

Sorry about works

But I did not think the "he--" word was a bad word

(Heading was suppost to read sorry about words)

and i won't reply to this thread anymore as everyone has been desent and honest.
if he takes it wrong OH WELL

flee27

This makes me wonder even more than I already was. I am also trying to decide between and 31qbs and a 32qbss. I ahve a 2009 silverado 1500 with HD trailering package. If you run the numbers I am below them with the 32qbss (not by much) but am hesitate.

Is there any members that have pulled a 7200# trailer with a 1/2 ton truck. I know gas mileage will not be good but are there any other concerns.

Never had a RV so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Foster

charlie51

I just bought a Sundance 310QB which is the same trailer except for the decals. I have a quad cab dodge 1500 with just a 4.7 V-8. I pulled it across the mountains of Virginia and east Tennessee with no problem. I agree it didn't pull like a 3/4 ton truck would, and will probably upgrade in a couple of years as my mileage reaches 100k, but it did fine. It actually pulled the new TT better than it did my 24ft. TT I had that only weighed 4200#. You are not going to be able to go 65 - 70 MPH in mountainous areas and your gas mileage will suffer some. I checked my mileage coming back from a trip to Gatlinburg, Tn to north central Alabama and I still got 10 MPG in average road conditions ( not overly hilly). Your truck would be fine it just might take you longer to get where your going. Mine drives and pulls nice and level with the WDH and turns about 2300 RPM at 60 MPH on the interstate. Good Luck. If you choose this floorplan you will love it. Get the A/C upgrade to the 15k BTU though. I'm glad I did.

enthuz

As for camping with children, I had to chime in. I have a big family with kids from 9 to 18. They all love camping and find camp friends to hang out with at every site we have visited. I enjoy the mixture of young and old. The things I have learned about camping and life from them all is priceless. My kids now have vowed to get trailers themselves when they get older to share the same experiences with their families. I do agree with the fact that larger family floorplans are lacking, but the 32QBSS fits my needs and then some. I don't want others viewing this thread that are new to camping to think the wrong thing about taking their young family camping. It is a blessing all should enjoy and appreciate.

charlie51

I definitely agree with Enthuz. The only reason we started camping in the first place is because of the kids. Mine are 11 and 7, and love camping. We are biased to the state parks. Every time we have went the kids have seemed to make friends with someone before the first day is over. The family sitting around a campfire at night making smores and looking at the stars without having to worry about getting in bed for work or school is priceless.:D

techman

It does make me wonder why so few layouts are suited to families. Perhaps RVing is just for retired folk mostly. Of all heartland's RVs only 4 or so floorplans are really good for families. The rest seem to be set up for a retired couple. Kind of makes me wonder if my kids will really have fun doing this. It will really stick if we go RVing and they cant find other kids to play with.

Reading this and some of your other posts makes me think you have little experience RVing. Before purchasing your $30k RV you may want to try renting one. This would let you try towing; take the kids with you to see if they like camping; and generally get the feel of what is involved. If you decide RVing is not what you enjoy you won't be saddled with an RV you won't use. Plus it would give you experience in an RV which will help when shopping for a new RV.

Good Luck with your decision.
Mike