2010 Leaf Spring rating.

WilmanJim

I have a 2010 Bighorn 3670rl and am looking at replacing the leaf springs and axles. I have 7000# Lippert axles and just found out the 4 leaf double eye 25.25" springs from Lippert are 3000# rated. I have always under the assumption they were 3500#. I'm not over on my weight, last scales were at 15270# with 3180# pin weight. That puts me at around 12090# on my axles. I'm wondering if that is why i'm chewing the tires up on the insides on all four. I have taken the weight completely off the trailer and with a level their is the same amount of camber in the axles. According to Heartlands Manuals on the springs I would have thought with 16000# gross trailer there would have been 6 leaf 3500# springs. Or am I looking at it wrong.

Jim

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Question for you. Do your axles have an arch to them?
If not then that could be the reason your tires wear on the inside.
The axle beam should not be straight.

Peace
Dave

WilmanJim

Yes Dave, With the weight off the trailer I have about the same amount of arch. Slightly under1/2" on both.

I was just wondering if I should replace them with 3500# or go with the 3000# like they came from the factory, which kind a surprised me. According to the chart the 3000# eye to eye are 25.25" and the 3500# are 24.875" .

Jim

Apropdoc

Utah Chapter Leaders-retired
Springs are supposed to add up to equal the capacity of the axle, so in your case, each 7k axle should have two 3.5k leaf springs. If 3k springs are on it, then there was a foul up during manufacture. You should also replace the shackles and equalizer(s) at the same time. The Lippert Correct Trac system will keep your axles true to the direction of travel as well.

WilmanJim

Thanks Rory.
That was my thinking. I should have looked at them closer over the years. I would have checked with the factory to see why they put lighter springs on it.
I have new equalizers and wet bolts as well as shackle hangers. Just thinking about changing axles and springs.

jnbhobe

If I were looking at that kind of money I would think hard about Mor-Ryde IS and disc brakes.

WilmanJim

Thanks for the reply Jon. If I was sure we would be keeping this RV I'd think about the IS, Disc Brake system. But for between $4 - $5 it's not worth it for me. I've decided to go with new 7K axles with 3.5K springs. I can get 7K axles for $650/pair with new hubs, brakes, bearings, springs and the works. I have a new Equa Flex with Morryde shackle hangers with wet bolts to put on too. I'm also replacing my 5 year old G614s with 5 new Sailun S637t. Got them for just under $800 with mounting and balancing. This is the first major thing I have done to our Bighorn since we got it. With the difference I could go to Disney World. lol

Thanks again for the reply.

Jim

richheck

Seasoned Member
Jim:

On one of my former RV's I changed over from Lippert 6K to 7K axles. After checking with my local Lippert component dealer I was informed that the actual axles are the same, the only differences were with the springs and brakes. I ended up ordering brake replacements (replaced total backer plate out, was cheaper and easier than replacing all parts piece by piece) and spring parts only.

Things may have changed from then, but at that time it was much cheaper to go the route I took

Best of luck

WilmanJim

Thanks Rich,
I new the axle tubes measured the same, my main concern was the springs. I think the 4 leaf springs are for 6K axles and the 6 leaf are for the 7K axles. The brakes are the same the magnets are stronger on the 7K. I think the black wired magnets are stronger than the white wire magnets.
Again thanks for the reply.

Jim

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
After checking with my local Lippert component dealer I was informed that the actual axles are the same, the only differences were with the springs and brakes.
A while back I considered swapping axles on my last trailer. I spoke to Lippert Engineering and was told that the axle tubes were not the same. The difference was the wall thickness of the tube.
On my current trailer, after one spring broke, I replaced all of the 7K spring packs with 8K. That was four years ago.

Peace
Dave

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
WillmanJim,

When I started noticing the springs looking a little flat on our 2010 ElkRidge in 2011, we decided to upgrade to EMCO 3500lb springs. Not long after we discovered one of our axles lad lost its arch, so we upgraded to Dexter 7k axles, and TrailAir 7k equalizers. Never had issues with springs or axles, but did have to replace the equalizers, shackles and bushings in 2014. The ElkRidge did not have shocks, so the ride may have been a little stiff for its weight. (FYI We were never overloaded.)

Upgrading is a good idea, Better to have more than you need than barely enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Gary521

The number of leaves can vary in the same pound rating of a leaf spring. The eye to eye distance can also vary. You can find #3500 springs in the size you want. Even if you have Lippert axles, get Dexter springs. A few years ago, there was a problem with Lippert springs.

WilmanJim

A while back I considered swapping axles on my last trailer. I spoke to Lippert Engineering and was told that the axle tubes were not the same. The difference was the wall thickness of the tube.
On my current trailer, after one spring broke, I replaced all of the 7K spring packs with 8K. That was four years ago.

Peace
Dave

Dave,
Was your replacement 8K spring 8 leaf or 7 leaf and do you remember the arch size.

Thanks
Jim

Domi

When you get the new axles in you might want to check the wheel bearins and make sure they are packed. We replaced the axels on ours and I did not check anything. The RV tech that did the bearing grease at just over a year later found 3 of 4 were pretty much dry with one of them starting to over heat. I was disappointed to say the least that the new axles did not have enough grease in them.

When we get a new rig I guess one of the first things to check is that the wheels bearing are packed correctly along with everything else.

Just my expierence.

John