2011 BC 3510RL --- Two questions about brakes

OldSlowHans

CinC of Everything Else
Found a very nice 2011 3510RL, essentially "unused"! Pick it up Wednesday after they detail it out and check all the systems, then we do a PDI etc....

Looking through some online specification site (which no I can't re-acquire, maybe RVT or one of those guys --- not a Heartland) it said the rig has hydraulic drum brakes.

Question 1) Do they really come hydraulic brakes (not regular electric brakes)? (Dealer isn't open to ask)

Question 2) If it DOES have hydraulic, will it work off my existing electric brake controller (2008 GM built in "integrated" controller)?

Thanks!

jimtoo

None of the units come from the factory with hydraulic brakes. If it does have hydraulic brakes that would be something the owner added and would most likely be disc brakes.

Jim M

Garypowell

And...if it was upgraded to hydraulic disk brakes there is a good chance you'll need a $100 converter to work with your truck.

I know my 2015 Silverado needed one can't believe it would have been possible in the past and not now.

I think even the other truck lines back in your vintage did too....not real sure. But I do believe everyone but GM has converted their integrated systems over.

But it the bottom line is you better figure this out before you pull the rig.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Like Jimtoo said, if it does have hydraulic brakes then it would be disc brakes. Disc brakes were not a factory option in 2011.
I have a 2011 Bighorn and it came with regular old electric brakes.
I know it's a bit cool in MN now, but the best way to get an accurate answer to your question would be to pull a wheel and hub and take a look.

Peace
Dave

danemayer

You could also take a peek underneath to see if there are wires going to the brake assemblies, or if there are hydraulic brake lines.

OldSlowHans

CinC of Everything Else
This mention of hydraulic was on some "specification" page like NADA or RVT, not about this specific unit, so I'm sure just inaccurate reporting. Thanks.

dewwood

I have a 2011 Bighorn and it did not come with disc brakes. I have installed them and they are well worth it. You can see the discs by just looking from the outside through the spokes of the wheel, they are very evident.

mlpeloquin

Found a very nice 2011 3510RL, essentially "unused"! Pick it up Wednesday after they detail it out and check all the systems, then we do a PDI etc....

Looking through some online specification site (which no I can't re-acquire, maybe RVT or one of those guys --- not a Heartland) it said the rig has hydraulic drum brakes.

Question 1) Do they really come hydraulic brakes (not regular electric brakes)? (Dealer isn't open to ask)

Question 2) If it DOES have hydraulic, will it work off my existing electric brake controller (2008 GM built in "integrated" controller)?

Thanks!

I think only Landmarks come with them as a added option. Big Horns do not.

If your 2008 GMC has a built in controller, it will work with it so long as the fifth wheel has a load resistor installed. The load allows your controller to sense that the 5er's breaks are connected.

http://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...tml?feed=npn&gclid=CLuE9Zik29ECFYJpfgodKeYLbA

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
That is not a Heartland Spec sheet. It also says it has a 20 gal water heater. Not! :)

I think Heartland originally advertised a 20gal per hour quick recovery water heater. If run on propane and electric, it could warm water fast enough to deliver 20 gal an hour. The tank is 10 gal likely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigGuy82

I think Heartland originally advertised a 20gal per hour quick recovery water heater. If run on propane and electric, it could warm water fast enough to deliver 20 gal an hour. The tank is 10 gal likely.

My Bighorn water heater said 20 gals on it. It was a large sticker on the cabinet door. Don't remember seeing anything about recovery rate. The online spec sheet for my model says 12 gal. Go figure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

danemayer

Atwood designed a high-recovery rate water heater by changing the shape of the tank to provide more heating surface area. From a marketing standpoint, the idea was to provide the hot water capacity you would find in a conventional 20 gallon water heater.

It was not explained very well. So where it said 20 gal recovery, people just saw 20 gal and expected a larger tank and didn't realize they were getting the equivalent capability without having a much larger appliance and without carrying the extra water weight.