Trailer Brakes and RAM Integrated Brake Controller

SNOKING

I have currently a 2015 ram 3500. IBC works great compared to my previous 2010 ram 3500 also with an IBC. I read up on the 2010 problems and concluded it was designed to handle just what the frame receiver hitch was rated for. #5000. I towed a #7000 tag trailer without a problem but when I hooked up my 5th wheel for the first time. It felt like I didn't have any trailer brakes at double the weight.

The 2015 has options other than just gain control like the 2010. I have it set heavey electric and 7 without an issue. If I remember correctly. It is a proportional controller.

As as far as the voltage. I read on a different site that because it's a PWM controller. Rapid cycling of 12 volts. Your voltage meter will indicate an average voltage so you may never see 13 volts which makes sense to me.

Big thing is sorting it out. I think it would be difficult to lock up four tires carrying #14,000 on dry pavement without air brakes. But if you can stop the extra weight of the trailer your doing better than what I've read that extra distance will be required to stop when towing.

I did replace my 2010 IBC as soon as I got the rv home. I really like the 2015 controller. Might be the ground circuit or the 12 v power circuit or even glazed brake shoes. But if it takes replacing the controller or even upgrading to disc brakes. You should feel confident you can stop.

The fact still remains that the 2014, 13 brake controller worked great and in 2015 RAM changed the code on the PWM signals that greatly reduced the controllers capabilities. At May Madness last year this was addressed with the RAM reps who went off to get it fixed. A friend had extended contact with a RAM rep who was working the issue, and then learned that RAM moved the problem/solution to a different group and nothing has happen except the Nov TSB that only addresses part of the issue.

My friend kept his Max Brake controller from his 2011 RAM and I let mine go when I sold my 2001.5 RAM. I am kicking myself for doing that, as the Max Brake is a great controller that makes the rig appear as one seamless unit when braking no matter what speed you were going.

I am going to see about getting the Nov TSB and any others outstanding done.

Chris

danemayer

If you believe the integrated trailer brake issues constitute a safety issue, you should open a case on the NHTSA website. Provide enough detail that NHTSA could act on the problem. If enough people do that, they'll investigate and it could lead to getting a more satisfactory fix.