2011 F-250, CC, SRW, 4X4, 6.7L Diesel With 2014 Sundance 3400QB

chapmcd

Hello all, I am interested in recommendations in finding a bunkhouse fifth wheel. I have researched hours of time trying to find the perfect fiver. I am looking for some opinions of fifth wheel owners out there that can tell me what kind of camper I can tow (safely). I am currently considering the new Sundance 3400qb. Website claims pin is 1,750 & dryweight is 11,200. I'm not trying to tow the biggest heaviest beast on the road, I just want a bunk house for my family that I can safely enjoy. I believe my truck can pull the rv, but is the pin weight going to exceed the limit? (this being my main concern)

Anyway, I have a 2011, Ford F-250 6.7 L Diesel, CC, SRW, 4X4. The ford website references a total towing weight of 14,400 lbs. based on a fifth wheel configuration. I am not trying to tow the limit, besides, you have to be able to safely stop what you are towing. I would like to know, if anyone has the same truck setup or any opinions about the fifth wheel I would like to purchase in regards to my tow vehicle? Too much, just right, whatever??? Thanks in advance.

danemayer

Hi chapmcd,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

You're right to be concerned with pin weight. You should focus on the GVWR of the trailer rather than the empty weight. The weight going out the factory door is often quite a bit higher than empty weight. And by the time you add your stuff and a little water and propane, you'll probably be closer to the GVWR. So with that being 13,800, you should expect around 20% of that, or 2,760 lbs to be sitting on the hitch, and the remainder on the wheels.

Your F250 payload is probably printed right on the driver door panel label. It's probably between 2,000 and 2,600 lbs. Once you add the weight of the hitch, bed cover, bed liner, tools, firewood, pets, and passengers, you'll almost certainly be over your payload spec.

I'm sure you'll get opinions on whether it's safe to tow that way and what you might do to mitigate the potential problems.

Let me also point you to Fifth Wheel Safe Towing, a website where you can get detailed information on how much you can tow with your current truck and find out more about safety issues.

Btw, I deleted your other post so the answers will all be in one place.

Bohemian

Sundance 3400QB

GVWR 13,800 lbs.

Expected pin weight when loaded (20%-25%): 2760-3450 lbs.

Pin weight is only one of many components that add to the truck payload. All need to be considered.

Most 5th wheel hitches weigh between 250-500 lbs. including the frame mounting components., some more.

Pickup Trucks Max Payloads

A 1/2 ton 1500/150 pickup typically has at most 1,000-1,500 lbs. max payload

A 3/4 ton 2500/250 SRW pickup typically has at most 2,000-3,200 lbs. max payload
A 1 ton 3500/350 SRW pickup typically has at most 3,000-4,400 lbs. max payload
A 1 ton 3500/350 DRW (dually) pickup typically has at most 5,000-5,600 lbs. max payload

Payload includes not only the pin weight of the 5[SUP]th[/SUP] wheel trailer and the 5[SUP]th[/SUP] wheel hitch but also includes anything loaded into the towing pickup truck reducing the amount available to the 5th wheel trailer

.............................people, tools, bed covers, bedliners, any truck modifications, air bags, toys, dogs, cats, snacks, etc.

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.ph...Truck-Payloads?p=386013&viewfull=1#post386013

ncrzrbk

I pull my 3400QB with 2012 Ram 2500 CTD CC short bed. You shouldn't have any problems with weights.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Birchwood

I believe the GVWR of your truck is 9900 lbs (2015) or less.The dry weight of your truck will be 7500 to 8000 lbs.You can have around 2000 lbs of payload.
Your Sundance loaded will at least have a pin weight of 2400 lbs.You will exceed the GVWR of your truck and if involved in an accident it won't be good.

caissiel

Just don't overload your tires. The F250 is the same truck as the F350 SRW, derated for registration issues.

Jim.Allison

BINGO, fact is stranger than fiction. BTW, 20 inch rims and 3640 3680 lb tires make the difference. Just got back from trip with new 20 inch transforce AT and I could not be happier about how my rig tows and performs. If one is stuck with 17 inch rims and 3190 psi tires, 18 and 20 inch OEM "take off" rims can be had off Ebay for a reasonable price.

Just don't overload your tires. The F250 is the same truck as the F350 SRW, derated for registration issues.

Last edited:

Bohemian

Yep, it's the same truck on top of the frae and a very similar trucks underneath, same type but but different strength and capacity components.

Jim.Allison

A side by side comparison of a F250 and F350 show the same driveline and braking components, the brake booster is different, one is a vacuum booster and the other is a hydraulic booster. The chassis are identical. The springs are different. This is why they call it the F250/350 chassis. The differential is bullet proof anyway, but there is some rumor that the splines and diameter on the axle shafts are different.