F-250 gasoline--- should I switch?

WalkTheLine

I've thought about an extra tank, but I don't want the extra weight.

My 2500HD has a 36 gallon tank, which gets me about 300 miles in the mountains and 400 miles on the flatlands when towing.

I usually need to get out and stretch my TA (tired @$$ :p ) around 200 miles, and there aren't many places where I can't find a gas station within 200 miles.

I have two 5-gallon gas tanks that I can take for a little extra range if I think the need is there.

View attachment 54718
Me in the middle in Las Vegas, NM . . .

Yeah, my MPG isn't anywhere as good as what you have though. Nice picture but could you get into that space pulling your 5th wheel? That's what I have trouble with...all the stations around here are laid out just like that and it's next to impossible to get in there and when I do I always end up having to back up onto the highway to get out which never will go well. I look for stations that have the pump islands oriented parallel relative to the building as opposed to the perpendicular ones shown above.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Yup . . . can't always go to the cheaper priced gas stations with the trailer in tow . . .

I always try to get at the outside gas pumps so I don't get the squeeze play from someone.

ProwlerAtUtahFlyingJ-P1020222.jpg

WalkTheLine

Ok, I finally was able to get on the road (you can read my trip review under "Where are you now" Trip #3 Eureka Springs, AR.

https://heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/69042-Trip-Report-3-Eureka-Springs-AR

I calculated fuel consumption over the 1,341.5 miles which includes 172 miles of driving around without the trailer. My MPG average is terrible!

FUEL MILEAGE AT FILL TIME
27.7g 0
22.7g 175.5
20.8g 326.9
16.37 451.9
20.56 601.0
13.1 762.4
20.3 904.7
20.46 1046.4
26.0 1209.5
---- 1341.5 total miles
187.99 total

AVG MPG 7.14 including 172 miles without trailer. At some points we were getting only 4.5mpg. The dash readout showed 7.3mpg average which was higher than actual. I was pulling at 65mph on interstate and around 55-60 on 2 and 4 lane highways. There were hills the last 100 miles into Eureka Springs and back out which obviously had a negative impact but still crappy MPG in my opinion.

For financials, we spent $432.38 which translates into $0.32/mile fuel costs.

BigGuy82

Ok, I finally was able to get on the road (you can read my trip review under "Where are you now" Trip #3 Eureka Springs, AR.

https://heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/69042-Trip-Report-3-Eureka-Springs-AR

I calculated fuel consumption over the 1,341.5 miles which includes 172 miles of driving around without the trailer. My MPG average is terrible!

FUEL MILEAGE AT FILL TIME
27.7g 0
22.7g 175.5
20.8g 326.9
16.37 451.9
20.56 601.0
13.1 762.4
20.3 904.7
20.46 1046.4
26.0 1209.5
---- 1341.5 total miles
187.99 total

AVG MPG 7.14 including 172 miles without trailer. At some points we were getting only 4.5mpg. The dash readout showed 7.3mpg average which was higher than actual. I was pulling at 65mph on interstate and around 55-60 on 2 and 4 lane highways. There were hills the last 100 miles into Eureka Springs and back out which obviously had a negative impact but still crappy MPG in my opinion.

For financials, we spent $432.38 which translates into $0.32/mile fuel costs.

just as a comparison, I’ve got a 2016 Ford diesel dually pulling a 15,000 lb Bighorn. I average about 8.2 over a variety of terrain. This is all with trailer.

WalkTheLine

just as a comparison, I’ve got a 2016 Ford diesel dually pulling a 15,000 lb Bighorn. I average about 8.2 over a variety of terrain. This is all with trailer.

Ok thanks! Then it is probably comparable as my TT is about 7,000 lbs and I have a gasoline engine. It checks out close. Thanks!

HOOKERUP

I did not get my truck for economy but to pull my 5er. MPG is what it is. Something about spending $$$$$ in after market items to go from 9.5 to 10 MPG.

WalkTheLine

I did not get my truck for economy but to pull my 5er. MPG is what it is. Something about spending $$$$$ in after market items to go from 9.5 to 10 MPG.

Haha yeah you have a point there. In spite of my complaining about MPG, my 250 has absolutely no problem pulling or handling my TT. It rides well and sometimes I forget there's 32 feet of trailer behind me. Since it is a gasser, it hits high RPMs on the steep hills and declines but that's where the torque lives. Oh well. I am already planning my next trip....maybe Kentucky area but now I have my data I can budget accordingly.

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
I have not owned a gasser pick up since I was a kid. Back then we pulled haying implements, horse trailers, etc all over with gassers without issue. Now with diesel technology being so advanced, pulling with one seems to be the way to go. I would say if you are not full timing, you do not need one. If you plan to go full time in the near future, bite the bullet now and get a diesel. As far as fuel mileage is concerned, is it nice to get great fuel mileage? Sure is. My thought is that if you are that concerned with fuel mileage, leave the trailer parked. We just did a trip from CO to AZ and averaged 9.5. Much better than the trip before coming from IN to WY pushing into the wind getting 7.4. Neither one of those is as good as what I am getting with it parked in front of our rig right now. :p

Dawnnira

New Jersey Chapter Leaders-Retired
If fuel consumption was a real concern the RV Market would close down... we all love our trucks and we all love our RV keep on hauling

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

WalkTheLine

Y'all make me laugh. Ok now I know its all comparable as far as fuel mileage goes, I'll think of something else to complain about. We are just part timers with maybe 1 trip every 3 months but am planning one to KY soon. Haha thanks again.

Lloydg

I'm kind of in the same boat. I have a 2013 F250 with the 6.2 gas engine. In August I sold my SOB and bought a 2017 Big Country and just love it. It's 3000 lbs heavier and I've just about maxed out my tow weight, but it pulls great today, and I get about 7.5 MPG. My truck just turned over 30,000 miles and is just like new. I always have people ask me if it's new. I'd like to have more towing capacity so I don't have to be concerned about loading, but spending the dollars to step into a diesel just doesn't make sense at this time. What I think I'm going to do is replace my rear end from a 3.75 to a 4.30. This alone will increase my towing capacity by 3000 lbs. Ya, I know this won't give me the torque that a diesel has but I think I can live with it. I drove a similar truck with a 4.30 from a dealer lot and I loved the acceleration. Gas mileage will probably go down a bit when not towing and likely will go up a bit when towing. I've talked to two Ford dealers and one gear and axle shop and have gotten a lot of information that has helped me understand what needs to be done. I'm leaving for Florida in a few weeks and the gear and axle guy told me to wait until I get home and see how it performs on a long haul. He thinks it will be ok, but I still may go for it after I get home.

JohnD

I get between 6.5 and 7.5 MPG pulling my Prowler with a 2015 Chevy 2500HD 6.0L gasser with the 4.10 rear end.

Just around town without the trailer I get around 12 MPG.

TrucksAtGasStationLVNM-P5020662.jpg

By the by . . . a born and raised Michiganderer . . . (Jackson).

Lloydg

By the by . . . a born and raised Michiganderer . . . (Jackson).

If I change gearing the gas mileage doesn't bother me, it's the towing capacity I'm trying to gain. I'm a firm believer if you're really concerned about gas mileage, you'd ought to find another hobby other than RV'ing!!! I'm originally from Ypsilanti and raised our kids in Saline. Spent several years servicing medical X-ray equipment and Foot Hospital was one of my customers and I also had Jackson State Prison. Loved getting a hamburger at Schlenkers.

JohnD

If I change gearing the gas mileage doesn't bother me, it's the towing capacity I'm trying to gain. I'm a firm believer if you're really concerned about gas mileage, you'd ought to find another hobby other than RV'ing!!! I'm originally from Ypsilanti and raised our kids in Saline. Spent several years servicing medical X-ray equipment and Foot Hospital was one of my customers and I also had Jackson State Prison. Loved getting a hamburger at Schlenkers.

Yup!

WalkTheLine

I'm the OP--- yep, gave up the MPG fight and just not gonna worry about it any more haha

ATM

If your main use for the truck is commuting back and forth to work and the truck pulls your trailer fine, I would stick with the gas engine. The diesels are designed to pull heavy and long. They do not handle daily commutes all that well and maintenance costs are sky high in comparison to a gas job. Fuel filter change costs alone make me choke with the diesel. We have two trucks the F350 with a diesel for pulling and my so called dump truck (1977 GM 1/2 ton) for commuting to work and around town.

WalkTheLine

If your main use for the truck is commuting back and forth to work and the truck pulls your trailer fine, I would stick with the gas engine. The diesels are designed to pull heavy and long. They do not handle daily commutes all that well and maintenance costs are sky high in comparison to a gas job. Fuel filter change costs alone make me choke with the diesel. We have two trucks the F350 with a diesel for pulling and my so called dump truck (1977 GM 1/2 ton) for commuting to work and around town.

Yes- I only drive her maybe 10-15 miles a day so that's why I went with the gasser to begin with but that was before I got the Prowler...in any case, it's all good and I am trying to figure out where to go next!

JohnD

Yes- I only drive her maybe 10-15 miles a day so that's why I went with the gasser to begin with but that was before I got the Prowler...in any case, it's all good and I am trying to figure out where to go next!

I recently started a Heartland Prowler Owners Facebook page since all of the other Heartland's have one.

Only four members now . . . we need more!

Please come over and post some photos and such!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/307339586436356/

- - - Updated - - -

Yup!

I like the $40 oil change instead of the $250 one.