2012 F350 CC SWB FX4 - DEF error messages

Joebethlamb

Hello all,

Just bought a 2012 F350 6.7 4x4 in the beginning of March. After about 500 miles the "Exhaust Fluid System Fault - In 50 miles, speed limited to 50 mph" message displayed. So first thing that occured to me was maybe it was low on DEF, so I added approximate 1.5 gallons as it had some already in there. I also called the dealer who said "well it just needs to be driven on the highway" hmmm, that sounded weird but I did it anyways. After that I started the truck and the message was gone. I thought that fixed it. - Nope, at about 1480 miles I got the same error message again.

So after getting the message again I just kept driving and the message went away. I thought ok. Yeah right! Now in the past few weeks I have been noticing that the truck almost wants to stall and begins to shudder when going over a slight incline and shifting from 5th to 6th at about 45mph. When I accelerate it makes a knocking noise. If I let off the accelerator, let it slow down, it downshifts into 5th and I then accelerate and it goes away.

And today... I decided to go for a nice ride. After about 10 minutes of driving I get the ole "Exhaust Fluid System Fault" error again. Crap! Again, I keep driving and after another 15min - I get that shutter and knocking noise. Now I am thinking "WTF". :mad: anyway I drove until the the truck displayed "Speed limited to 50mph on next restart. I just kept driving and the error message mysteriously disappered again.

Oh and I did call the dealer that I purchased the truck from. They cannot see it until Tues.... Crap! The dealer did mention that TSB for the RECALL 12B33 had already been performed. I had him print me a copy.

Anyone else have any of these problems?

Sorry for being so verbose...

scottyb

I have not had the problem you described, but i have read and heard of people who claimed that their DEF tanks were not filled at delivery. That might explain some of your symptoms. I would definitely fill the DEF tank, and if the symptoms continue, take it in for service. Mine is in the 500 mi warning now. I plan to add 5 gal or whatever it takes to establish a baseline. I added 2 1/2 gal before my last trip because it showed to be less than 1/2 full. I have 6500 mi, so far.

I just bought a Volvo Excavator for the company. It is Tier 4i ("i" being "interim") compliant and does not yet require DEF. It has the particulate burnoff system. Now we have to train our operators and foremen as to how to use these new machines. When it says it needs to regenerate, they can overide it. The consequences of several overides is the filter becomes clogged and has to be manually re-generated and re-set by the dealer. This is both costly and creates down time. Also, when it is in burnoff mode, they have to be careful not to get close to brush or trees. They literally caught a sheet of notbook paper on fire within seconds when held in the exhaust stream, during a test. Ultimately when Tier 4 is in full effect, practically every diesel engine on the market will be using DEF. DEF is a nuisance, but we are stuck with it.

porthole

Retired
On the Fords - when you get to the DEF less then half message you can add a full 2.5 gallon jug,
If you drive long enough, down to the 200 mile warning you should be able to get two 2.5 gallon jugs in.
If you try to put more in then what the tank will hold the odds are you will spill splash it all over the side of the truck. If you do that it needs to be rinsed rather soon.

If you drive long enough to get the speed limited to 50 mph warning on next restart odds are you have run the tank dry. Drive long enough like that and it will throw a code that will light up the CEL - check engine light. That light will stay on until it is reset.

So perhaps Jose you have a problem with your DEF pump or wiring issue. Either way it sounds like what you are experiencing should have thrown a code and the dealer should fix it.

BTW, Ford pays the dealer to fill the DEF tank.

And you paid the dealer to fill the fuel tank. Although you won't know that unless you can see the internal sales order, which will show the fuel in the vehicle breakdown of costs.

MTPockets

I suspect the tank may have not been filled. My new truck got just under 3000 miles when I got the 500 mile warning, so I don't think mine was full from the dealer; guessing less than half. I put in 5 gal. and will see how many miles I get now. So far about 2000 and still no "under half full" message when I check.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
How fast you use DEF is partly dependent on how you drive. You use DEF faster if you tow or drive under hard conditions (mountains, stop & go).

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Had the same issue with my dealer."we always fill the tank when you buy it". WRONG, the 500 mile lite came on at 3100 miles. I put in 2 gallons, drove it 500 more miles and had to add 4 more gallons. GM trucks hold the same 5 1/2 gallons.

Last week I had at the dealer...went to the service manager and insisted that he give the 2 2 1/2 gallons. He did with a smile.

I guess they all use lots of DEF when pulling hard all day. At least at NAPA, 4 gallons is less than $20.

jnbhobe

Hey Bob , I'm getting two 2 1/2 gal jugs at NAPA for $15 but I haven't bought any since the beginning of winter.

mikeandconnie

I only got 3000 miles before I got a light when I first bought my GM and every 2500- 3000 miles there after. I called my dealer and he said it was normal and depends on how you drive it. I called GM and they told me a recall just came out on my build date truck and it requires a software update. I'm very happy now and get around 6000 miles towing per tank. I normally fill it up at a bulk station around 4500 - 5000 miles and it only takes 3 to 4 gallons. Or if I'm in a bulk lane I always top it off and set my trip counter.

Joebethlamb

Thank you all for the info. Today was scary though. I got a message saying "Engine idled soon" Exhaust Fluid System Fault. But yet the exhaust fluid level is ok. So tomorrow I am taking it to the First Ford Dealer that I can find that has a diesel tech on duty. Will keep you all posted on what happens. Oh and btw after driving for about 10 min after the messages all messages cleared by themselves again.

porthole

Retired
Just in case whatever the issue is, and the possibility that there are no codes, take a picture when the fault pops up. Try and make sure the odometer is clear.

jmgratz

Thank you all for the info. Today was scary though. I got a message saying "Engine idled soon" Exhaust Fluid System Fault. But yet the exhaust fluid level is ok. So tomorrow I am taking it to the First Ford Dealer that I can find that has a diesel tech on duty. Will keep you all posted on what happens. Oh and btw after driving for about 10 min after the messages all messages cleared by themselves again.

In my owners manual it says that message will come up if the "Cleaning Exhaust Filter" was on-going and you stopped or idled before it was finished. If I remember right you should continue driving at 30mph or more or RPMs above the 30 mph range until the "Cleaning Exhaust Filter" mode is complete. This has nothing to do with the DEF level. Also if you stop before finished then I think you will get the message when you start the truck again and it should complete the next time you run the truck. Check with the service department of your dealer and they can explain this better.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Mike, your sig does not say what year your truck is. Mine is a "13". I put in a little over 2 1/2 gallons yeaterday and I had only driven 2K miles since I put in 6 gallons.

John, maybe your NAPA store is a little cheaper. You forget I live in California. The 2 2 1/2 gallon case is $25 here.

Joebethlamb

Okay, here it is.

Dealer says, the TSB 12-6-5 update was needed and they checked all sensors. They also took it on a 17 mile test drive and all seemed well. So I left the dealer with 3889 miles on the odometer. Drove it home without a hiccup. So all seems well for now.

Joebethlamb

Okay folks,

Update. Still no def error messages. However, driving home today I noticed the cleaning exhaust filter message came on and after about five minutes of getting the message I am going about 40mph in fifth gear on a slight incline and noticed the truck began to shutter a bit. I let off the accelerator and it went away. I am starting to think this only happens when it's doing a regen. Any thoughts on this one?

jmgratz

My owners manual talks about keeping the RPM and speed above 30 mph when in the Cleaning Exhaust Filter mode until complete. Is is possible you let off the accelerator causing the RPM to drop off? That CEF mode is really a PITA.

dave10a

The Ford dealer is misleading you. Either go to another dealer or call the Ford area rep.

Joebethlamb

So, Still no DEF warning messages. but the shuddering issue is still there. I found this on another forum and this is exactly what is occurring: http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...fire-during-exhaust-regeneration-process.html . I also notice it mostly when it goes into regen. I took my truck to the dealer and it has been there since yesterday morning. I am going to call them tomorrow for an update. I don't believe they need to drive it 500 miles for the issue to occur.