2012 F350 Exhaust Brake

Eddhuy

Portal you are correct about that, but it still works well if you keep the speed under control before starting the decent at least with a 14K Gateway; although, it will get the speed under control if going too fast it requires some brake initially. It is just easier to do that on the level or upgrade. I have found 65 is too fast for 6 percent or steeper but 60 or less is no problem.

scottyb

Maybe something is wrong with my truck, but I am not feeling any exhaust braking at all, only downshifting and engine braking. My 07 Chevy D/A did the same thing in Tow Haul, and had no exhaust brakes, but used engine braking. This truck does not feel any different. I have played with it in the hills driving home from work, placing it in Tow Haul, tapping the brakes, and nothing but a down shift and the truck (empty) continues to accelerate. I tap the brakes again, it down shifts again (4th), and continues to accelerate. If I force it in to 3rd gear, it will downshift and begin to slow, but doesn't feel like anything more than using the engines compression. With the Cyclone in tow, I have to go all the way down to 2nd gear for it to maintain speed. Are you 6.7L guys finding a different result than this? If so, I need to head to the dealer? I will be adding around 5500 mi to it over the next 5 weeks.

porthole

Retired
Maybe something is wrong with my truck, but I am not feeling any exhaust braking at all,

Because the 6.7L Fords do not have an exhaust brake - no matter what Mike Rowe says on the video. Or any of the media hype.
The trucks use engine and powertrain management along with dumping even more exhaust gas in to the intake.

One of the worst things to inject into a turbo diesel is a portion of the exhaust gas, which is done for emissions. What could be worse? Dumping even more in with the premise of slowing the truck down.

I really like my truck, best truck I have owned since my first PU, a brand new 1978 Dodge Powerwagon

But I would really, really, really like it if it had an exhaust brake!

TedS

scottyb, my experience is the same as yours. The downshift and engine braking in my 2011 F350 is no different than the downshift and engine braking in my 2004 Duramax 2500. I took the truck into the dealership soon after I got it to see if it threw any codes indicating that the turbo was not working in exhaust braking mode. Found everything 'normal'. But I don't feel anything more than plain old engine braking and not as good as the old Duramax.

scottyb

Because the 6.7L Fords do not have an exhaust brake - no matter what Mike Rowe says on the video. Or any of the media hype.
The trucks use engine and powertrain management along with dumping even more exhaust gas in to the intake.

One of the worst things to inject into a turbo diesel is a portion of the exhaust gas, which is done for emissions. What could be worse? Dumping even more in with the premise of slowing the truck down.

I really like my truck, best truck I have owned since my first PU, a brand new 1978 Dodge Powerwagon

But I would really, really, really like it if it had an exhaust brake!

Exhaust brake or whatever you want to call it, it doesn't work. At least it doesn't work like the GM or Dodge. Their guys talk about engaging the exhaust brake and never having to hit the brake or downshift while fully loaded.

I agree, I love this truck. The power, the drive, the finish, the high tech gadgetry is the best I have ever owned. It's not like Ford to get left behind on something this.

I took the truck into the dealership soon after I got it to see if it threw any codes indicating that the turbo was not working in exhaust braking mode. Found everything 'normal'.

TedS, I feared this may be the case. I suppose since I never had exhaust braking on my Chevy or Fords before that, I shouldn't miss it, right? I know how to downshift going down grades, so I'll get past it.

porthole

Retired
I took the truck into the dealership soon after I got it to see if it threw any codes indicating that the turbo was not working in exhaust braking mode. Found everything 'normal'

Everything came back normal because it is.

There is no "exhaust" brake on the Ford. There is also no Turbo brake.

GM and Dodge have a switch because they do have the features and it is easy to turn it off, which is something you want to be able to do in slippery conditions.