2012 Ford F-350 and disc brakes on rig

Tundra2084

So I guess this question is for the Ford people out there that have disc brakes installed on their rigs.....

We are having disc brakes installed on our rig in September. My question is.....is there anything I have to change in the truck to co-incide with the newly installed brakes. We have a 2012 Ford F-350 XLT with the Tow command integrated brake controller.
The instrument panel in my truck is standard not the advanced and shows only that a trailer is connected and the gain. I can scroll through the different applications but can't stop and see what is in each selection.

I would think that the installers will know if I need the extra box so the brakes can talk to the controller, so it's not a question about that......again is there anything on the instrument panel in the truck I have to set?

BTW we are having the brakes installed by Titan Guy

Last edited by a moderator:

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
I too have a 12 F350. You'll need to change your controller from electric to electric over hydraulic. Likely the Titan guys will do that for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

travelin2

On the Command Center screen...
Settings
Driver assist
Trailer brake mode
Elect. Over Hydraulic

Tundra2084

I see you have a Lariat......it probably has the more suffisticated screen panel. Mine is only the standard and don't have all of the options, thus the question on this matter

- - - Updated - - -

Ok Found it!!!!!! Thank you. (What a duffass I am sometimes)

jnbhobe

I've had disc brakes for 7 years and you do need to cut back on the gain. I like a heavy pedal and Mine are set at 6.5.

travelin2

I've had disc brakes for 7 years and you do need to cut back on the gain. I like a heavy pedal and Mine are set at 6.5.

I'm at 7.5 now so I'm thinking I would have to. Time will tell...

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
I have mine set at 8.5. Cheaper to replace trailer pads then truck pads. That being said I also am trailering a Landmark which is probably heavier do I need more gain.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I don't have a F*rd, but the important thing to remember is that you need to set your gain for your particular truck/trailer combination.
Just because John Doe is set at 6.5 doesn't mean that number is the only number you can use.
Set it for what feels right for you.
When I stop with the trailer hitched I have about the same pedal pressure as if I had no trailer attached. Truck is not stopping the trailer and the trailer is not stopping the truck.

Jim, as far as pad replacement goes I have had mine for about 5 years and this year when I repacked bearings I decided to change the pads as long as I had everything apart. I have a lot of miles on them, 30k ish, and they were not even half way worn. So they have worn well on my 16,400 pound trailer.

Peace
Dave

porthole

Retired
I have mine set at 8.5. Cheaper to replace trailer pads then truck pads. That being said I also am trailering a Landmark which is probably heavier do I need more gain.

I'm not going to talk about weights, but I tend to run mine at 10, and as Jim mentioned, it is easier and less expensive to change the brakes on the trailer. So I let the trailer earn her keep.

Every rig - weight is going to be different.

Titanguy

When you go to disc brakes the gain will be different. Keep in mind it takes more voltage to activate all electric/hydraulic actuators and with the newer variable voltage controllers you may actually need to increase the gain to get the lower speed normal braking to feel comfortable. For those with the menu option for electric or electric/hydraulic settings, don't be afraid to try different settings. On my 2014 Ram, I run electric heavy on the controller just because I feel I get slightly better response. Don't be afraid to try different settings.
Set it where you feel comfortable.

DougS

Doug S
On the Command Center screen...
Settings
Driver assist
Trailer brake mode
Elect. Over Hydraulic

I am installing disc brakes this week on my BH and heard I had to change settings to "Elect. Over Hrdraulic" so I did a Goggle search and this thread came up, perfect, answered my question in less then 3 minutes. I was so surprised to be lead back to this forum from Goggle.