2012 Ford F350 Superduty DEF useage

pegmikef

Gee, I don't know about all that, but when everybody talked me into a diesel, all I know is that my gasser was getting 8 to 11 mpg, and my diesel routinely gets 12 to 14.5 mpg pulling the same trailer over basically the same terrain and I really don't care if it is the DEF or not. Truck needs DEF, I give it DEF. Simple and end of story (for me).

wal_mart

Does anyone know if Ford overfuels like Dodge, or do they inject it in the exhaust like GM, to clean the dpf filter?

Rickhansen

Neither.
A regen of the DPF involves, both on Ford and GM, raising the EGT by injecting fuel into the exhaust. DEF is injected into the exhaust a constant rate (Ford and GM) to perform Selective Catalyst Reduction for lowered Nitrous Oxide emissions.

Two totally different processes.

Currently DEF is selling for $2.899 at most Pilot/Flying J truck stops. I just pull into a DEF labeled lane in the trucker area and fill up with fuel and DEF at the same time. I don't plan on carrying a jug of DEF until heading to Alaska this summer. Bulk DEF is easy and cheap. Good luck.

dfk009

To you owners of the new Ford 6.7 diesel. I understand what and how you add DEF, to the DEF tank. In the past, Ford has ALWAYS recommended adding their PM22A additive to the diesel fuel on older model engines. Does this advice still hold true to the new 6.7 on PM22A?

Don

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
Asked my service manager that very question... his response was "it can't hurt" but there was no official position from Ford at that time. I'm going in tommorrow for service and intend to ask again. As far as the DEF goes a full tank (so far at least) lasts between services but this is only the third time so we see if that holds up. I have it serviced at 5,000 mile intervals.

porthole

Retired
Does this advice still hold true to the new 6.7 on PM22A?

Don

More so then ever with the fuel lubricity standards in the States a bit lower then what Bosch recommends for their pump.
You will not hurt it by using it all the time.