2012 Ram 3500, Pullrite 20K Superglide, 2011 Cyclone 3950... comments needed!

OtterMN

I'm finally making the trip from MN to TX (near Dallas) to pick up our new (to us) 3950. I've never towed anything that large, or any 5th wheel and I'm starting to get freaked out that I will get all the way there and have some kind of problem preventing me from towing our new toy hauler home! Does anybody out the have this combination of truck, hitch and trailer and can assure me that it will work!? I'm mostly concerned about the overhang of the front cap over the kingpin, and the height of the trailer over the bed rails... how do I adjust the height over the bed rails if it is not the 6" minimum stated in the Pullrite manual? I'm going to be 130 miles from the nearest Pullrite dealer, so Im trying to do my home work... any and all tips would be much appreciated, thanks!

jnbhobe

I'm finally making the trip from MN to TX (near Dallas) to pick up our new (to us) 3950. I've never towed anything that large, or any 5th wheel and I'm starting to get freaked out that I will get all the way there and have some kind of problem preventing me from towing our new toy hauler home! Does anybody out the have this combination of truck, hitch and trailer and can assure me that it will work!? I'm mostly concerned about the overhang of the front cap over the kingpin, and the height of the trailer over the bed rails... how do I adjust the height over the bed rails if it is not the 6" minimum stated in the Pullrite manual? I'm going to be 130 miles from the nearest Pullrite dealer, so Im trying to do my home work... any and all tips would be much appreciated, thanks!

You will have to adjust the pin box for bed clearance, since the superglide doesn't adjust up and down, also make sure you have the right adapter for the pin box.

OtterMN

Jon, I did verify that I had the correct adapter plate...how do I adjust the pin box for clearance? Is there anything additional needed to do it? What tools would I need? Thanks for the help!

Last edited:

jnbhobe

Jon, I did verify that I had the correct adapter plate...how do I adjust the pin box for clearance? Is there anything additional needed to do it? What tools would I need? Thanks for the help!

I think you'll need 7/8 and 15/16 sockets, wrenches, breaker bar and a torque wrench.

jimtoo

I would think your dealer should adjust the pinbox for you at no charge. They need to make sure your towing safely.

My nickels worth of opinions.

Jim M

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
OK, actually 200 miles east in Tuscola, that's practically neighbors in TX terms, right!?

I think you mean west, not east. And it's south of Abilene, which is not near Dallas, about 3 hours from Dallas/Ft.Worth.

Not really neighbors for me, I'm 30 miles east of Dallas. Maybe some other members are closer. ;)

Erika

OtterMN

I think you mean west, not east. And it's south of Abilene, which is not near Dallas, about 3 hours from Dallas/Ft.Worth.

Not really neighbors for me, I'm 30 miles east of Dallas. Maybe some other members are closer. ;)

Erika
sorry, you're right... west, just south of Abilene. thanks!

scottyb

Well, if your going to Tuscola, you might as well slide a few miles west to Buffalo Gap and try some smoke tenderloin at Pirini Ranch. BTW, Colt McCoy is from Tuscola.

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired

Erika

East of Dallas? Where? I have family in white oak and mesquite and south of you in Bullard. Spent many summers in Jacksonville too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We are in Terrell. East of Mesquite on Hwy 80, about 20 miles. Holler if you're nearby! We love to visit with other Heartlanders!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
We are in Terrell. East of Mesquite on Hwy 80, about 20 miles. Holler if you're nearby! We love to visit with other Heartlanders!

I was down the road from you a ways recently in Kilgore and Marshall but next time we are through there I will let ya know.

gpshemi

You should have at least 5", but I prefer closer to 7"-8". You have to adjust that first, then raise or lower the coach to level it out.
Pullrite does have a lift if you need to raise the hitch. It's a set of rails that go on top of the rails you have.

OtterMN

Well, if your going to Tuscola, you might as well slide a few miles west to Buffalo Gap and try some smoke tenderloin at Pirini Ranch. BTW, Colt McCoy is from Tuscola.
Funny, the seller told us we would pass through Buffalo Gap on the way there, but not to go thAt way on the way home because there is too many low trees and tight turns! (had to google Colt McCoy BTW)