2014 CY3100 Power Issue

Ladiver

I have an issue where shore power does not work, but Gen power does. This should isolate the issue to the transfer switch. I am going to look at that this morning. The second issue, not sure if it is relates or not is that I have a 20A fuse that is blown. I replaced the fuse and it immediately blew again. This is the only 20A fuse in the fuse box, does anyone know what it is for? I don't see anything that is not working while running the generator.
Any other ideas for troubleshooting shore power? I am sure the people at the campground are "thrilled" to be in 50A sites with some dude in a toy hauler running his generator all day!

fuse.JPG

Thanks,

Jeff

Last edited:

Ladiver

Hey, how about that? LOL
Handed wife panel before looking at it.
That fuse is identified as FP. Still not sure since fuel is still flowing to the generator. Could be the fuel station (which I have never used).
CCF8199B-A2AF-4937-A4AD-0DB419DE30DD.jpeg

Ladiver

I think a Doctor was working for Heartland when my coach was built. That writing is almost as legible as mine. 🤣

david-steph2018

In the control panel there are different switches for lights, water heater, fuel pump. Open it up and see about disconnecting the fuel pump switch and then replace the fuse. If you reconnect the switch and it blows again you will have a good ideal what could be the problem. If it does not blow then you can start tracing that circuit.

Ladiver

Ok, I disconnected power then the switch and replaced the fuse. As soon as I reconnected the battery, fuse blew even without the switch connected.

Ladiver

Regarding the first issue, no shore power, I was able to identify that the transfer switch has an issue. The contactor on the generator side (blue) moves freely while the shore side (red) is stuck up.
1F0ADD54-82E5-43E0-AAD4-BF8D3862FB5A.jpeg
Anyone know if this is repairable or need to replace entire transfer switch?

Last edited:

Dahillbilly

should be able to get the # off of the contactor block & purchase another one. You can see the label on side of block in the picture. Make sure all power is OFF!! Just make sure where the wires are connected before & after.

Ladiver

I will disassemble everything Sunday when we get back. At least I have a generator and batteries connected to an inverter. The only thing I need the generator for is A/C.

david-steph2018

Ok, I disconnected power then the switch and replaced the fuse. As soon as I reconnected the battery, fuse blew even without the switch connected.
Did you disconnect both sides of the switch? If so good. Our unit has a fuel gauge that toggles between both tanks. You will need to check both of these, the switch and the gauge(s) in there. If these are okay start looking near the fuel tanks at the, pump and/or the wiring. Chasing an electrical issue can be a pain sometimes, take your time. But to me I would think it is more toward the pump area.

Ladiver

@danemayer thanks, I'll call them on Monday.

@david-steph2018 I did completely disconnect both sides of the switch but I didn't touch the gauge wiring. That can be my next step. I hadn't thought about the gauge as being a place for a short.

david-steph2018

@danemayer thanks, I'll call them on Monday.

@david-steph2018 I did completely disconnect both sides of the switch but I didn't touch the gauge wiring. That can be my next step. I hadn't thought about the gauge as being a place for a short.
Just narrowing down what could be wrong. If checking all of these and they are okay then that eliminates them as the issue. Plus side is you get to learn about that system while chasing the problem. Our gauge reads both of our fuel tanks, the switch toggles between the tanks.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Hello
Did you use a meter to check voltage coming into the transfer switch from shore power ?? If you have a plug issue or a power cord reel issue the transfer switch will not switch over. you should have approximately 114 to 119 volts coming in on L-1 & L-2 (The Red and the White wire)

Ladiver

No, I did not test with a meter. I unplugged shore before I ever opened the box. Somewhere on the internet (so it must be true) mentioned that the contactors should be able to be pressed down easily. This happens on the generator side but not the shore side. That's where I stopped. To be honest, working around live electrical is not my favorite thing to do. Low voltage is one thing but 120v 50a, that will bite.

If there is no power at the transfer switch, then there is an issue between that and the connector on the side of the coach. I did try different power cords (50A and 30A with adapter) and even different power sources.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Ya mine was not easy to push down.

Need to carefully text those bottom wires i circled in the picture.
If you have power there its the switch. If no power then start tracking it backwards.

Dahillbilly

No, I did not test with a meter. I unplugged shore before I ever opened the box. Somewhere on the internet (so it must be true) mentioned that the contactors should be able to be pressed down easily. This happens on the generator side but not the shore side. That's where I stopped. To be honest, working around live electrical is not my favorite thing to do. Low voltage is one thing but 120v 50a, that will bite.

If there is no power at the transfer switch, then there is an issue between that and the connector on the side of the coach. I did try different power cords (50A and 30A with adapter) and even different power sources.
Both should move easy, contactors do go bad & will move. Seen it many times as a retired industrial electrician. Willing to bet that's the problem.