2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee DIESEL

We recently upgraded our TV to the new Diesel. Tow capacity of 7400 pounds and 420 lbs torque.
On way to pickup our new North Trail 28 BRS TT, with a 15 mph tail wind, we achieved 32 mpg at 75+ mph.
Heading back with our 5200 pounds in tow, same windy conditions, 15-17 mpg at 60-65 mph.

This is far better than an average of 10 mpg at 60 mph with our other gas truck and TT 4300 pounds.

We're heading out this coming weekend and looking forward to the new rig setup.

jimtoo

Hi bogeyman2b

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

Sounds good for the Jeep. Join us at a rally when you can and meets lots of other Heartland family members.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

priorguy

What kind of hitch setup do you have. A trailer that size should be a handful for that wheelbase without a good weight/sway combo. I pull mine with an F150 which some say is too small. With the wide-trak axel it must follow along really nice. If you got the Calibre Edition like mine you're closer to 6K# empty. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do. Happy camping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scottyb

Your tires are speed rated for 65 mph.

He said he was towing 60-65.

Bogeyman, that is exciting news. Its the same engine as offered in the Ram1500, soon to be on the lots. Ive been looking for the day of 1/2 ton trucks with modern diesels for a long time.

Enclosed pics has our WD and sway bar moved over from our last TT and truck.
FYI...we have been out twice since upgrading our TT and tow vehicle...both local.
There was some noticeable sway and felt like too much liquid in tanks.
Well, after some investigating and not relying on the new tank level meters, I discovered the dealer or someone had 20-25 gallons of fresh water. The tank was reading 2/3 full after returning home. Drained the tank and delivered to our storage location via the highway. Not a real test yet, but the sway was not noticeable at all.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    694.4 KB · Views: 205
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    363 KB · Views: 239
Rig looks nose high to me, that will cause swaying.

Good eye...The ball was dropped 2" after that pic was taken. Dealer didn't account for "normal" travel height on the jeep (equipped with Quadra-lift that can increase 3.5-4" from park to off road)
Very level now.

priorguy

More questions for you Bogeyman2B. How was your mileage increase while towing. And I noticed a power tongue jack. Can you open the hatch with the trailer hitched? I can't put my tailgate down on my truck with my power tongue jack. I have the same trailer and the diesel Cherokee is tempting.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

More questions for you Bogeyman2B. How was your mileage increase while towing. And I noticed a power tongue jack. Can you open the hatch with the trailer hitched? I can't put my tailgate down on my truck with my power tongue jack. I have the same trailer and the diesel Cherokee is tempting.

Thanks.

We are getting 15 MPG with the Jeep GC Diesel towing (26 MPG local driving). 420 lbs of torque...far better choice than the Hemi V8.
Have not opened the hatch yet...looks close as you noticed. could not put our tailgate down on the other truck either.

Last edited by a moderator:
hatch clears by 3-4".
Just serviced our JGC Diesel...Not only does it take 8 quarts of oil, the new oil filter is $60 MSRP (dealer was stunned and dropped down to $43) AND we discovered the DEF (Diesel Exhaust Fluid) tank holds 8 gallons x $14 per gallon.
LOF is pretty pricy, but we really like this vehicle.

danemayer

hatch clears by 3-4".
Just serviced our JGC Diesel...Not only does it take 8 quarts of oil, the new oil filter is $60 MSRP (dealer was stunned and dropped down to $43) AND we discovered the DEF (Diesel Exhaust Fluid) tank holds 8 gallons x $14 per gallon.
LOF is pretty pricy, but we really like this vehicle.

If you're paying $14/gallon for DEF, you're buying it at the wrong place. At auto parts stores or Walmart or truck stops, a 2.5 Gallon jug of Peak Brand DEF goes for $13-15 (about $5/gallon). If you stop at a truck stop like Pilot/Flying J (and others big chains), in the truck fuel lanes, many now have bulk DEF dispensers that charge less than $3/gallon.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Re: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee DIESEL...my .2 cents!

While that new Jeep may have a tow rating high enough for that trailer . . . I wouldn't do it.

It is too small (IMHO) for that size of trailer . . . no matter what the dealers may have said.

I see more and more people towing monster trailers with SUV's designed to pull small speed boats and to take kids to soccer games.

And I've seen a couple of them on their sides up in the mountains.

I test drove a Dodge Durango a few years back that boasted the same tow rating that my Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 has . . . and I loved it!

Until I drove by my house . . . backed it up to my old trailer (which was smaller than our new trailer) . . . and shook my head as I realized at that moment that no matter how much a truck is said to be able to pull . . . that doesn't mean that it can pull that load safely!

That Dodge Durango was sweet . . . but was way too small for the task of pulling a large travel trailer!

tmcran

If you're paying $14/gallon for DEF, you're buying it at the wrong place. At auto parts stores or Walmart or truck stops, a 2.5 Gallon jug of Peak Brand DEF goes for $13-15 (about $5/gallon). If you stop at a truck stop like Pilot/Flying J (and others big chains), in the truck fuel lanes, many now have bulk DEF dispensers that charge less than $3/gallon.

Saw DEF at Shell station today 2.99 per gal.

szewczyk_john

While I am glad that the smaller vehicles are going with diesel technology, I just wonder why Chrysler/Dodge/RAM/Jeep could not make it work with Cummins for a smaller 4 cylinder engine. With the great success of the Ram & Cummins marriage one would thing that they would have stayed with brand. I have no use for these smaller vehicles but I think that more and more diesel powered vehicles will be in the works from all vehicle makers. Maybe they can start lobbing politicians to reduce some of the taxes that are imposed on diesel which is why is cost so **** much in some states.

scottyb

I drove a Ram 1500 last week with the new diesel and I have to say that it was impressive. There was nothing missing in acceleration. I have read that they are struggling to meet the demand of the orders that have been placed. One of my friends is expecting delivery of his any day now. The dial for shifting the transmission is on the dash board. That would take some getting used to.

I'm on a Jeep Diesel forum as well. Very useful.
There have been issues with the injectors when using non-Mopar branded DEF.
Even though there are competitive products with same or similar specs.
Vehicle too new to experiment just yet.
But feedback greatly appreciated.

scottyb

I'm fairly certain that Ford and GM are not using Mopar branded DEF. When DEF was 1st introduced, it was called AdBlue. As long as it meets ISO 22241, it will work fine. They are just stealing your money at $14 / gal. Most of us buy it at Walmart or whichever parts store has it on sale. Usually around $12 / 2.5 gal. It's not like it something that's going into the engine.

My "day job" is working in the chemical business, but not fuel. The company I work for (23 years) is 137 years old. Although small, it's the largest and oldest in our industry. So I get the branded aspect of various chemicals and the difference in "snake oil". However, being very new to this engine and diesel, wanted no issues at the start.
This feedback is greatly appreciated and will seek other DEF sources.
I still find it hard to believe the oil filter is $60 MSRP and discounted at dealer or online for about $43???
I'm not an engine guy, but that's sounds like another "hosing" as well.

scottyb

My "day job" is working in the chemical business, but not fuel. The company I work for (23 years) is 137 years old. Although small, it's the largest and oldest in our industry. So I get the branded aspect of various chemicals and the difference in "snake oil". However, being very new to this engine and diesel, wanted no issues at the start.
This feedback is greatly appreciated and will seek other DEF sources.
I still find it hard to believe the oil filter is $60 MSRP and discounted at dealer or online for about $43???
I'm not an engine guy, but that's sounds like another "hosing" as well.

bogeyman, this has been going on for many years in diesel engines. When a new engine hits the market, you are forced to purchase OEM filters from the dealer. Eventually the aftermarket guys tool up and the price comes down. I get my oil changed for $54, including 13 qts Rotella and filter. This is because everybody is making filters for them. It will get better after they have been out for a while.