2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee DIESEL

porthole

Retired
I'm on a Jeep Diesel forum as well. Very useful.
There have been issues with the injectors when using non-Mopar branded DEF.
Even though there are competitive products with same or similar specs.
Vehicle too new to experiment just yet.
But feedback greatly appreciated.

Hmm, I wonder if the guy who said that is the same one selling DEF for $14/gallon.

Especially considering;

a) DEF is no where near the injectors
b) MOPAR does not make any of their own fluids

As it is, there are really not that many manufacturers of DEF, antifreeeze, auto trans fluid and motor oil etc. And the big three just use someone else's product with their label.

Bohemian

1) DEF is 2/3rds deionized water and 1/3rd urea. It's difficult to imagine one brand is better than another short of complete and ridiculous fraud.

http://www.brenntagdef.com/en/pages/WhatisDEF/index.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_exhaust_fluidJeep

diesel engine: Why would an Italian company (Chrysler) use an Italian diesel engine? Developed by a joint venture of GM and Chrysler, who jointly owned the company. Developed specifically for this market. Yes, I guess they could have used a euro version Cummins engine. They decided to use their own engine. It's that simple.

Eagarland

We recently upgraded our TV to the new Diesel. Tow capacity of 7400 pounds and 420 lbs torque.
On way to pickup our new North Trail 28 BRS TT, with a 15 mph tail wind, we achieved 32 mpg at 75+ mph.
Heading back with our 5200 pounds in tow, same windy conditions, 15-17 mpg at 60-65 mph.

This is far better than an average of 10 mpg at 60 mph with our other gas truck and TT 4300 pounds.

We're heading out this coming weekend and looking forward to the new rig setup.

Hello. We have a Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Eco Diesel and just purchased a 28BRS. I'm interested in hearing how your hitch hookup went and towing experience. Eddie

Eddie
Will love to share some pics when I get "Lucy" over to the house this weekend.
It was some trial and error at the begining, but we can both learn together.
This is our 2nd TT (in less than 3 years), but had the JGC and the 28BRS for over a year.

This weekend I am installing a new aluminum tongue toolbox that will store the battery, tool bag, WD & sway bars and hopefully some cedar blocks. The plan is to free up some of the limited front storage space.
Keep in touch and PM if need be...Jim

Eddie
Not sure if you have experienced the CEL issues with your diesel...but many of us have.
Here is another link specifically for our JGC. Lot of great info. Especially since I'm no mechanic.
We had many Engine light issues. Finally moved to another dealer/service dept and they are fantastic.
Link: http://www.dieseljeeps.com/

Hopefully we see your rig from Canada down in south FL!
We would love to get a group pic!

Jim

Eagarland

Hi Jim

We are going next weekend to do our delivery inspection and hook up to the trailer for the first time. I was wondering what brake controller you used and where you mounted it.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Hi Jim

We are going next weekend to do our delivery inspection and hook up to the trailer for the first time. I was wondering what brake controller you used and where you mounted it.

My 2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD has the trailer brake built in to the truck.

I have it set at 3.5 . . .

It is just enough drag without locking up the trailer brakes!

SunCityRV-RVPark-IMG_20150122_075627618.jpg Truck&CamperAtGasStationSmall.jpg SunCityRV-IMG_20150122_173556536.jpg

We just picked up our 22FBS and ALSO have the 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel. Can I ask what you're using for sway bars? We have them, but still felt some sway on our way back to WI from Ohio. Winds were usually about 10-12 MPH SW or SSW when we were feeling this. We read about a system called the Hensley Hitch. Anyone familiar with that?

olcoon

I use Lucas in my fuel to prevent injector problems, and it's increased my MPG. It was recommended by a Dodge mechanic, but I've got the Cummins. Also if you change your own oil, Walmart now has Mopar/Cummins oil filters.

Mikeobe

We also have a 2015 Grand Cherokee eco diesel and just bought a new 20162015 North Trail 26RLSS. Caliber. We were recommended to purchase the new Equalizer brand hitch and sway control for $900.00 and it pulls pretty good but have only towed about 200 miles so far. It does pretty good but feel some sway at 65 MPH. Love the 15 MPG however. We are happy with the eco diesel towing capabilities.

Last edited:

Mikeobe

Hi Urban girl,
I have the Equalizer anti sway hitch and also feel some sway. I checked into the Hensley hitch and after doing some research have decided that i will be buying it.

Mikeobe

Eddie,
I have only towed the rig about 120 miles thus far and have experianced some sway above 55 MPH. I have the Equalizer anti sway system but have now decided that when i have the $ i will purchase the $2900.00 Hensley system which i have resarched and seems to be the best route. Hate to spend that kinda money but when i think about having a roll over accident it appears pretty reasonable. Have you towed much and whats your experiance?
Mike & Sarah
Mukwonago Wi.
2016 North Trail 26RLSS Caliber

Eagarland

I am in the same boat (cannot go very fast). The RV Dealer lent us a Blue Ox Sway Pro that we used for our trip Jun 1 but it still had significant sway. We tried with different WD settings and re-arranged our load inside the trailer with no success.

I just purchased a Hensley Swift Arrow (snap up chain brackets). I ordered directly from the factory and got a good deal $1,900 for a reconditioned hitch. It cost a little extra with the exchange from US to C$ and the tax but I avoided the UPS brokerage fee ($97) by going to Canada Customs myself (small victory).

It looks like new and all of the snap up WD brackets are new. We had our RV dealer install it (around $200) but they look easy enough that we could have installed it on our own. The drive back from the RV dealer was a night and day difference. We will know more when we drive up to Killbear Provincial Park next week (about a 3hr drive).

I asked the guy at Hensley about warranty / difference with the reconditioned hitches and they are covered the same as new ones. I asked why everyone doesn't just order a reconditioned one if they are so much better priced and he said it is just because they are not always available. I cannot see any wear on the reconditioned hitch and it appears to have new paint.
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_4992.jpg
    IMG_4992.jpg
    723.2 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_4991.jpg
    IMG_4991.jpg
    825.1 KB · Views: 96
After much research and agonizing, we have traded in our 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ecodiesel for a 2015 Toyota Tundra. Being camper newbies, we just didn't have all the facts about towing and have realized after all the research, it isn't just a matter of how much your TV can tow, you also need wheelbase which the Jeep wasn't giving us for that size trailer (30' from tip to tip, 22' in the interior, 5500# dry). We are also having the Blue Ox hitch system put on this afternoon. We leave Sunday for another camping trip and I'm hoping and praying this will be the answer to our sway because it sure isn't fun to travel with that and we were hoping to camp further away than just Wisconsin.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that the Hensley Cub is still sitting in our garage unpacked. We want to see how this setup goes first before deciding if we send it back or not.

Mikeobe

After much research and agonizing, we have traded in our 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ecodiesel for a 2015 Toyota Tundra. Being camper newbies, we just didn't have all the facts about towing and have realized after all the research, it isn't just a matter of how much your TV can tow, you also need wheelbase which the Jeep wasn't giving us for that size trailer (30' from tip to tip, 22' in the interior, 5500# dry). We are also having the Blue Ox hitch system put on this afternoon. We leave Sunday for another camping trip and I'm hoping and praying this will be the answer to our sway because it sure isn't fun to travel with that and we were hoping to camp further away than just Wisconsin.

How bad was the sway with your eco diesel? Was there a speed that seemed to be good? We have only towed the new tt about 60 miles thus far and only on back highways where we traveled at speeds less than 55 MPH and it was tolerable. We are taking a 480 mile trip in mid July that will have to be on the interstate. What should I expect? Thanks for your input.

Mikeobe

I am in the same boat (cannot go very fast). The RV Dealer lent us a Blue Ox Sway Pro that we used for our trip Jun 1 but it still had significant sway. We tried with different WD settings and re-arranged our load inside the trailer with no success.

I just purchased a Hensley Swift Arrow (snap up chain brackets). I ordered directly from the factory and got a good deal $1,900 for a reconditioned hitch. It cost a little extra with the exchange from US to C$ and the tax but I avoided the UPS brokerage fee ($97) by going to Canada Customs myself (small victory).

It looks like new and all of the snap up WD brackets are new. We had our RV dealer install it (around $200) but they look easy enough that we could have installed it on our own. The drive back from the RV dealer was a night and day difference. We will know more when we drive up to Killbear Provincial Park next week (about a 3hr drive).

I asked the guy at Hensley about warranty / difference with the reconditioned hitches and they are covered the same as new ones. I asked why everyone doesn't just order a reconditioned one if they are so much better priced and he said it is just because they are not always available. I cannot see any wear on the reconditioned hitch and it appears to have new paint.
attachment.php
attachment.php
Hi, Thanks for the input. I really have less than 100 miles of towing my 26' TT with my Grand Cherokee Ecodiesel and the towing i did do was back highways at speeds of 50 MPH or less. What can I expect when we take our 480 round trip in mid July? How bad is the sway? How bad is the semi truck winds when they pass? Any speed that seemed to be better and how fast could you comfortably drive at? Your input would be helpful so i can decide weather or not to cancel our trip.

How bad was the sway with your eco diesel? Was there a speed that seemed to be good? We have only towed the new tt about 60 miles thus far and only on back highways where we traveled at speeds less than 55 MPH and it was tolerable. We are taking a 480 mile trip in mid July that will have to be on the interstate. What should I expect? Thanks for your input.

Hi Mikeobe,
The sway with the Jeep wasn't horrible, just little sway movements that came all too often. It was two hands on the wheel at ALL times (which it should be anyway, but just saying). The slower you go, the better, but when you're on highways with speed limits of 70MPH and up, it's not a good thing to go slower than the speed limit for the other traffic.

We had actually towed the trailer from Ohio to Wisconsin when we purchased it. It didn't seem that bad at first, but we definitely felt the semis or depending on which way the wind was blowing.

I CAN tell you that we just got back from our first trip with our new setup of the Toyota Tundra and the Blue Ox hitch system and my husband said it was "night and day" towing. I'm sure the bigger wheelbase on the truck vs. the Jeep makes a BIG difference and a good hitch system only makes it better.

I miss the Jeep, but don't miss feeling unsafe.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Hi Mikeobe,
The sway with the Jeep wasn't horrible, just little sway movements that came all too often. It was two hands on the wheel at ALL times (which it should be anyway, but just saying). The slower you go, the better, but when you're on highways with speed limits of 70MPH and up, it's not a good thing to go slower than the speed limit for the other traffic.

We had actually towed the trailer from Ohio to Wisconsin when we purchased it. It didn't seem that bad at first, but we definitely felt the semis or depending on which way the wind was blowing.

I CAN tell you that we just got back from our first trip with our new setup of the Toyota Tundra and the Blue Ox hitch system and my husband said it was "night and day" towing. I'm sure the bigger wheelbase on the truck vs. the Jeep makes a BIG difference and a good hitch system only makes it better.

I miss the Jeep, but don't miss feeling unsafe.

This sounds like what we went through when trying to tow our 21fbs with a v8 4Runner. By the numbers, it could tow it, but it was two hands driving and not over 55, and watch those semis passing and watch the wind currents and.... Not fun at all.

With the Tundra (or insert any appropriate long wheelbase tow vehicle), it was like the trailer wasn't even there. No problems going 65 (or more if not careful), no sway when trucks went by, easy one hand driving, enjoy the ride, not tense and worried.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk