2015 240bhs water heater draining

Booch

On my old Jayco, I had to manually screw off the valve on the water heater to let it drain. But on this one (Heartland North Trail 24BHS), I've got 2 hot water low point drain valves coming out of the underside of the camper. Are those sufficient to drain the water heater, or do I still need to screw off the nosel on the water heater and open the release valve?

The users manual supplied with this camper is horrible. It's very generic, and doesn't get very detailed.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
On my old Jayco, I had to manually screw off the valve on the water heater to let it drain. But on this one, I've got 2 hot water low point drain valves coming out of the underside of the camper. Are those sufficient to drain the water heater, or do I still need to screw off the nosel on the water heater and open the release valve?

The users manual supplied with this camper is horrible. It's very generic, and doesn't get very detailed.

You will have to unscrew the anode rod to drain the water heater. The low point drain valves drain the fresh water tank.

danemayer

Hi Booch,

Not sure what a 240BHS is, but you might be able to use the low point drains to empty the water heater. But I'd be wondering if all the water emptied out. Also, if you have a Suburban water heater, you should remove the plug anyway so you can inspect the anode rod for wear. It's pretty common to have to replace anode rods annually. Atwood Water Heaters don't use anode rods, so that wouldn't be a concern on an Atwood.

Booch

It's a 2015 Heartland North Trail 240BHS.

Thanks. I've got 5 low point drains coming out the bottom of this rig. 2 in the rear (blue and red) and 3 in front of the axle (2 blue, 1 red). I'm assuming those just drain the water lines, but when I removed the plastic plug and opened the release valve on the water heater, nothing really came out. On my previous Jayco, I had them install a permanent valve in place of the plastic valve, which I'd just screw open up and lower the front to drain it out.

Not sure where I would unscrew this anode rod? I'm pretty sure it's an Atwood.

Thanks for the input! I didn't get a very thorough walk-through when I bought it, and the manual is pretty generic with this stuff.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Our previous 2013 Heartland Trail Runner TR22RK most likely has the same water heater (Atwood) as the North Trail.

It didn't have the anode rod and I had to unscrew the white plastic plug (and what a PITA that was to get at) to drain the water heater.

Lynn1130

Low point drains will drain the lines and the water heater. There should be another, single valve, under the trailer for the fresh water tank. The fact that the lines are red and blue tell you that they are hot and cold. There is no need to take the anode out, if you have one, but it will speed the process if you flip the relief valve on the top of the hot water heater and open a faucet or two inside the trailer. Little water will come out until you open a faucet to release the pressure on the lines.