2015 Ford 6.7 video teardown

szewczyk_john

A whole lot of engine. Interesting design with the air flow and exhaust, but two water pumps? there are so many more moving parts due to the V-8 style vs cummins in-line 6.

dave10a

Looks like a very well designed engine to me. Ford has done a great job on revamping its product lines when the new CEO with roots in the aircraft industry took over a few years ago. My 2012 blue oval has more power than I need and don't understand why they keep adding more power-- seams like we are starting another horse power race like we had in the 50/60's.

brianharrison

A whole lot of engine. Interesting design with the air flow and exhaust, but two water pumps? there are so many more moving parts due to the V-8 style vs cummins in-line 6.

Two water pumps add twice the moving parts for sure; however the heat removal for the emissions control (EGR) is silly, the previous gen single pump had cavitation issues if you did not watch coolant quality (Nitrate levels, anti corrosion). A fairly simple solution to a previous problem.

I am unsure of GM/Dodge engine coolant design and issues.

Brian

Walkerstv

I can tell you now from experience that sitting under that hood is by far the most impressive power train I've ever driven. Just finished our first 350 mile trip to the Utah west desert and this truck required a 7% grade before downshifting out of 6th gear. Of course the 3.73 axle is an important part of the story compared to the 3.55 axle on my 2011 SD. The truck is so quiet and the MyTouch Sync is so packed with features it's almost embarrassing. Not on the video I was told by the dealer are a number of improvements like heavier crank shaft journals and torque converter along with other small improvements to handle the increased power. The anoying shudder from a dead stop is gone and the new engine brake only gave up about 5 mph coming back down the 7% grade. Honestly, I've owned 9 new diesel trucks over the last 25 years and I've never been so impressed--amazing is not an understatement. I really hope to be as happy with this truck in 3 years to stop the incessant need to stay under warranty to avoid an inevitable multi-thousand dollar repair bill. Thanks for sharing this video...