2015 gmc 2500hd

MP_CS

Hey everyone I've been searching for a new truck to replace my F-250. Pretty much had my mind set on a new super duty gasser but my dealer asked me if i wanted to test drive a GMC that he had. Its a 2015 Sierra 2500hd dmax/allison. Theres a night and day differance in ride quality and i thought it was more comfortable inside. I like the looks of the fords better but after driving it theres no comparison. On the plus side the last 400mile average mpg was 19.2!!! Whats everyones experience's with this engine/truck? Anything in particular i should pay attention to or ask specifically about. It sure is differant to drive than any gasser ive had. It seems to run at alot lower rpms than I'm used to, I'm assuming thats normal? I originally wasn't loking for diesel as i only haul the fiver about 8-12 times a year but for this deal i could get it. Thanks

Lynn1130

Here is a sight that might interest you. http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/ I would spend some time on the section that has to do with the LML engine, which is what is in the truck you are looking at.

Asking "what truck" here will bring on a few pages of "why mine is best" so doing your own research will probably help you some. They all tow well, and without a doubt are good trucks so "personal fit" becomes the most important issue for you and you alone can make that decision. I have had two Duramax trucks and would not have anything else, but that is my preference.

Oh, and I would not recommend gas anything, if you plan on towing any trailer of any size. You will also get feedback from those who think you or we all should be driving 1 ton trucks and that make sense if you go big with the trailer so match the truck to your desired trailer with upgrades in mind because you will likely upgrade trailers in time.

Westwind

I have a 2015 3500 GMC Sierra CC short bed single wheel that I bought new in 2014 so it's a pre-August 2014 built truck ( I think I have that right). It's my second diesel truck the first was a 2008 GMC Sierra 2500.
The 2015 had all the frame/brake etc., improvements that were made in 2011 and then the new body improvements of 2015 and a bunch of other stuff. I love the truck but I'm not very impartial since it's the only brand of diesel truck that I have owned. I have the exhaust brake on my truck and the off road package which I wanted because of the beefed up suspension which helps with towing my trailer. We have a 35 Ft. fifth wheel that we tow and this truck handles it like it's not there.
I've gotten over 24 miles per gallon on a 500 mile trip to Maine on the highway and towing on flat area's anywhere from 11.5 to 12.5 with out a headwind. The last time I filled it I averaged 16.5 city (mostly & highway). So far knock on wood no problems, a couple of recalls but they were re-flashes to the computer.
If you decide to get the truck you shouldn't be sorry - check out Carfax and see if you can get dealer to call up the dealer records on it. It will give you piece of mind, it would for me.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I have a 2015 Chevy 2500HD gasser with the 4.10 rear end . . .

It is a trailer hauling beast!

ProwlerMonarchPass-P1010480.jpg

alwaysbusy

Hey everyone I've been searching for a new truck to replace my F-250. Pretty much had my mind set on a new super duty gasser but my dealer asked me if i wanted to test drive a GMC that he had. Its a 2015 Sierra 2500hd dmax/allison. Theres a night and day differance in ride quality and i thought it was more comfortable inside. I like the looks of the fords better but after driving it theres no comparison. On the plus side the last 400mile average mpg was 19.2!!! Whats everyones experience's with this engine/truck? Anything in particular i should pay attention to or ask specifically about. It sure is differant to drive than any gasser ive had. It seems to run at alot lower rpms than I'm used to, I'm assuming thats normal? I originally wasn't loking for diesel as i only haul the fiver about 8-12 times a year but for this deal i could get it. Thanks

X2 on what Lynn was saying in his response. I'm sure your question will incite the usual "who's truck is best", "gas v diesel", "SRW v DRW", "one ton v 3/4 ton" debate...and in the end that's just what they are. In most of these, it comes down to your choice; however, you must ensure ALL your numbers are in line no matter what TV you go with. I've owned a truck at one point or another in my life from each of the big three and they all towed. What your noticing is common, diesels have an abundance of low end torque not provided with a gas engine. On the other hand, they are more expensive to maintain and get worked on. As anything else, there are pros and cons. You must decide what works for you, afterwards, enjoy it.

MP_CS

Thanks for the response everyone. Yea i am def not looking for the dodge vs chevy vs ford debate, nor do i want the srw vs drw one either. My current fiver would be well within specs of this truck and with a baby on the way i have absolutely no plans on upsizing in the next 5-7 years and will probably have a differant truck by then as i dont usually keep them more that 4 yrs anyways. Im not worried about the maint costs on the diesel as i will only need to service the truck once a year at inspection time. I only tow the camper on average around 4k miles a year. I'm really only considering the dmax because the dealer is giving me a very good deal on it. I'm basically just looking for peoples experiances with the dmax/allison trucks. There's absolutely no doubt this combo will tow my sundance worlds better than my old superduty gas job so thats def not in question. Me having never had a diesel before i wanted to get opinions on since i can basically afford a used dmax or new gas engine if it would be wise to spend the money and buy the used diesel?

- - - Updated - - -

O and heres the obligatory pic of the truck in question. image.jpg

Boscowtx

I have a 2015 Chevy High Country 2500, absolutely love it, tows my 39 ft Big Country with ease. Although did have to add air bags. My second D max zero problems on both. You won't regret a Chevy.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I have a 2015 Chevy 2500HD gasser with the 4.10 rear end . . .

It is a trailer hauling beast!

I guess I should have clarified that it is a trailer hauling beast . . . as long as you choose an RV that is within it's towing capacity.

Of course this is true with any truck and trailer combo.

alwaysbusy

With respect to Dmax/Allison? Don't think twice. No one can detest this combo. It is the longest standing and most reliable in the industry and its standing history compares to no other. It alone, is the reason I went Chevy diesel v another brand.

TGLBWH

North Central Region Directors-Retired
My 2015 2500 is my second Duramax and have had very minimal problems with either. My last one was a 2008. The 15 is light years ahead in almost every category. Handles my Big Country easily. Did I say I love this truck!!

MP_CS

Guess i'll be finding out, called the dealer today and told him i want it. I'm putting some aftermarket wheels and differant tires on before i drive it home. I have two buddys who have them and they also said I'm way better off with the dmax. Guess if i have any problems its under warranty for quite some time yet.

avvidclif

Guess i'll be finding out, called the dealer today and told him i want it. I'm putting some aftermarket wheels and differant tires on before i drive it home. I have two buddys who have them and they also said I'm way better off with the dmax. Guess if i have any problems its under warranty for quite some time yet.

Just make sure the tires and wheels you buy are rated the same as the stock or better for weight carrying capacity.

SNOKING

If it has LT245/16R16E's rated at 3042 pounds, then LT265/75R16E will provide more capacity, however they should be put on 8" +/- wide rims. Rear axle goes from 6084 to 6830 capability. Chris

MP_CS

Yep, already looked into. New wheels loadrating is 3720, tires are E rated 3755@80psi. There actually rated higher than the stockers. Thx

alwaysbusy

Good for you. Even though I'm sure your excited over a new TV, you have yet to realize the full extent/peak of your happiness. Remember this post, as when you tow your coach for the first time your going to say "oh my, this thing tows so much nicer." The power will be indesputable and after a couple more tows your going to say "I will never go back to a gas truck.".......it's gonna happen and you are gonna love it. Congrats and please throw us a pic.

MP_CS

Good for you. Even though I'm sure your excited over a new TV, you have yet to realize the full extent/peak of your happiness. Remember this post, as when you tow your coach for the first time your going to say "oh my, this thing tows so much nicer." The power will be indesputable and after a couple more tows your going to say "I will never go back to a gas truck.".......it's gonna happen and you are gonna love it. Congrats and please throw us a pic.

Funny how everyone has told me that, lol.. will post some pics after i take delivery

billyjoeraybob

South Carolina Chapter Leaders-Retired
Congrats on the new truck! Just one pull up a hill and you won't be able to get that "Diesel Grin" off of your face. Safe travels!

meagle

Congratulations! I am on my third GMC duramax diesel. I love them. Great resale, dependable, and smooth. My latest truck is a 2016 one ton dually GMC with the Denali package. It is the best vehicle I've ever owned. The ride is comfortable, the cab extremely quiet, and it pulls like a champ. When making my decision I called 8 independent repair shops and asked which HD truck they would recommend. Seven of the eight said a GM product, one said a toss-up between a Ford and GM but went on to say they were a Ford shop mainly. You will love how the diesel handles your RV.

crors7

My work truck is a 16' GMC Denali 2500 dura/ali, my everday truck is a 16' 6.7 F250, the jimmy does ride a little better but I'm not a big fan of the interior, way to many colors and the dash layout is not as good as the ford. As for pulling a trailer there is a huge difference, the super duty wins that one all day long. Good luck with your search!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk