2015 Silverado 3500 Integrated Brake Controller - Help

Dean-Pam

Need some advise...

I bought a new 2015 Silverado 3500 DRW with the integrated brake controller. Today my son and I completed installing the B&W Companion hitch, hooked up the trailer, plugged in the pigtail, checked running lights, turn signals and brake lights...all work good.

I had the MorRyde IS and disc brakes installed at the factory last year as part of the Rally special in Elkhart. On my old 2007, with a Prodigy brake controller, the disc brakes worked GREAT. Today, the brake actuator did not activate with the foot brake, but did activate by manually pinching the levers together. I really don't want to have to install a separate brake controller.

Has this happened to anyone else and what did you do to correct the issue?

jimtoo

Did you check your fuse panel on the truck? Under dash and under hood for a blown or missing fuse.

z06

Need some advise...

I bought a new 2015 Silverado 3500 DRW with the integrated brake controller. Today my son and I completed installing the B&W Companion hitch, hooked up the trailer, plugged in the pigtail, checked running lights, turn signals and brake lights...all work good.

I had the MorRyde IS and disc brakes installed at the factory last year as part of the Rally special in Elkhart. On my old 2007, with a Prodigy brake controller, the disc brakes worked GREAT. Today, the brake actuator did not activate with the foot brake, but did activate by manually pinching the levers together. I really don't want to have to install a separate brake controller.

Some of the electric over hydraulic actuators require an add on unit for some model brake controllers. Check website of brand actuator you have to see if it is compatible with your truck.

lynndiwagoner

I have read that if you add a brake magnet in parallel to the wires going to the trailer for the brakes that the disc brakes will work. Evidently you have to "fool" the integrated controller into thinking you have magnetic type electric brakes.

Dean-Pam

Thanks for the advice...will continue with the trouble shooting.

Jim - My first thought was the independent fuse GM uses for the trailer plug, but all good.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Need some advise...

I have herd something about putting a 12V light or the magnet probably would work to trick it as he said. But another thing I've seem to notice on mine is the integrated controller has Inertia sensing "I think" so when your moving, the harder you stop the harder it applies the brakes. I don't know if that what is happening but it seems that way to me.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I don't have disc brakes on our trailer, but I do have a 2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 with the integrated brake controller.

It was plug and play with both our old Heartland Trail Runner and our current Heartland Prowler with no issues.

jnbhobe

A call to Mor-Ryde is in order they have had this problem on late model GM's. They normally use Carlisle controllers.

Dean-Pam

Contacted Rob at MorRyde and he confirmed I need a an interface for the actuator and they will ship to me, as well as be available for any installation/troubleshooting needed. I love the wealth of knowledge on this forum and how this is freely shared.

Titanguy

Did you get this resolved?
Per General Motors, an interface device should not be used or necessary on 2015 & 2016 GM Trucks.
I have had 2 instances occur like this and in both cases were corrected by disconnecting the truck battery cables and re-connecting.
This evidently resets some of the electronics on GM vehicles.

Dean-Pam

Was on the phone with the senior tech for Cargo Brake Monday (3/28), testing all the wiring in camper, trailer pigtail and truck. Based upon the results, they are sending a new HBA-CAM. He did have me shut the truck off, unplug the pigtail on several of the test scenarios, stating this resets the Integrated Controller. He didn't have me disconnect the batteries. I will do that today since I am waiting on the new HBA-CAM...don't have anything to lose at this point...FYI - Rob at MorRyde stated they would have installed the CAM if I had the new truck when they did the install initially. Thanks for the suggestion.

Westwind

Dean - Let us know how you make out - there are many of us that have GM products with the built in controller.

Dean-Pam

Fixed - 2015 Silverado 3500 Integrated Brake Controller - Help

I appreciate all the advice!

While waiting for the replacement HBA-CAM, I disconnected both truck batteries (twice) and it didn't make a difference. I was really hoping the fix was going to be this simple.

Received the replacement CAM, installed it and was getting the same results. Called Wendell at Cargo Towing and he suggested making up a test pigtail, completely bypassing the trailer wiring, but with the CAM installed inline. This would confirm it was a bad actuator or a problem in the trailer wiring (I had already eliminated the truck wiring as a problem).

The actuator worked with the test pigtail, now for the fun of tracing the wiring from the actuator back to the trailer 7-pin round.

Bottom line - had a bad ground connection located in the 4x4 box that is attached to the pinbox.

Wendell was awesome to work with and very patient with me as I worded through this. Wendell also confirmed if you have a GM Integrated Controller and install disc brakes using their Hydrastar actuator, you must use the HBA-CAM.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

As you were explaining the problem was in the trailer wiring the first thing I thought of was that junction box. Half of my wire nuts were loose and ready to fall off.
I suggest you replace the box with a 7-way junction box. It's a much better and more reliable setup.
You can see more at Project LM 365 https://heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/54076-Project-LM-365?p=470413&viewfull=1#post470413

604a6d988cfb63ca48b7b3d4a4e9a3f8.jpg

9bc20e3a19f5b5f98a2bf2ff6d885059.jpg
f7e6e36259cacc34ea9e44272681f56f.jpg
cbad6fb27f6d1aa4efc4ce4eab3ba653.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk