2016 Bighorn 3585rl

rmathews

Hello all,
Before I post in the ask the factory I thought I would ask here first.
Today while hitching and retracting the landing gear, the hydraulic motor stopped 3 times.
I took it to the repair shop.
My front landing gear have always from day 1 went to the ground 1 at a time, and when retracting they retract 1 at a time...not together. I was told by the service manager this is not correct and needs to be corrected. Also the hydraulic motor shouldn't be overheating and stalling out.

Are the front landing gear supposed to extend/retract together?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

First off your service manager is WRONG !!!!
Hydraulic landing legs are plumbed together therefor the leg with the least resistance will move first.
Your legs stopping is for some reason common these days however not how it should work.
Check your cable connections from the batteries to the circuit breakers. Also low voltage will cause this. If it has been happening a lot you'll need to replace the 50amp breaker along with fixing the problem.

We can help you more when you want to get into it.

danemayer

It's not the hydraulic motor/pump overheating. There's a 50 amp 12V DC auto-reset circuit breaker on a buss bar near the batteries. The breaker is tripping which can be caused by several things.

Most commonly, the breaker just gets weak. Replacements cost <$10 and it takes maybe 15 minutes to replace. A visit to the shop is not required.

Low battery voltage is another possible cause. A partially discharged battery, or loose or dirty connections at the battery, buss bar, or motor/pump can also cause the breaker to trip.

A poor system ground can also cause the breaker to trip.

And of course if you have mechanical binds, which is the least likely cause, the breaker can trip.

Some people have moved to a larger breaker, but I would suggest you investigate the battery, battery terminals, and connections at the pump first. Second, replace the breaker. If you're still having a problem go from there.

These are all things you can very easily do yourself. Probably much more easily that hauling the trailer to a service location.

And Jerrod is correct about the operation of the front landing gear. They're plumbed together and the one with least resistance moves first.

The picture below will help you locate the right breaker. Your arrangement will likely be a bit different, and the breakers will probably be covered by a red rubber boot.

Attachments

• Buss Bar Example Notated.jpg
    Buss Bar Example Notated.jpg
    477.3 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

SNOKING

The manual also says the rams should be sprayed with silicone from time to time. I often spray them and wipe the dust and other crud off them. Around the ocean I would do it more often. Chris

Last edited:

rmathews

Thanks for the replies. Some additional clarification / details.
1. The breaker has been replaced already for the same problem. Didn't fix it.
2. When in storage, the passenger side landing gear is 2 inches shorter than the other side. The landing gear settles.
3. Fork oil was added to stop the settling but didn't work.
4. I didn't take it into the shop just for this..I have a bedroom slide that leaks on the stairs when the slide is in .
5. The battery's are fully charged.

I also thought the repair facility manager was wrong..but we shall see how they fix it.

danemayer

Thanks for the replies. Some additional clarification / details.
1. The breaker has been replaced already for the same problem. Didn't fix it.
2. When in storage, the passenger side landing gear is 2 inches shorter than the other side. The landing gear settles.
3. Fork oil was added to stop the settling but didn't work.
4. I didn't take it into the shop just for this..I have a bedroom slide that leaks on the stairs when the slide is in .
5. The battery's are fully charged.

I also thought the repair facility manager was wrong..but we shall see how they fix it.

Let us know what they end up doing.