2016 Duramax Diesel 39 mbhs

scotteam1

Hey all I am hoping the truck I bought will tow the rig I have with ease. I had opportunity to get dully same price but figure I would be fine with the 2500HD because I can tow it with the 2500HD gas job. The truck is a crew HD Denali Loaded. I have a auto slider type hitch I put in it that I love. Anyway anyone towing a 39mbhs with a 2500hd?

danemayer

Hi Scotteam1,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. There's lots of useful information here along with a great bunch of friendly and helpful people.

There are 2 components involved in matching truck and trailer. One is the 5th wheel towing capacity. A Duramax 2500HD has similar towing capacity to a 3500HD, so you're probably ok there. The other is payload. There a 2500 is likely to come up short.

An Elkridge 39MBHS has a GVWR of 15,500. For planning purposes, you can expect the pin weight to be about 20% of that, or 3,100 lbs. Add to that the weight of your hitch, bed liner, bed cover, tools, firewood, pets, passengers and anything else in the truck, and it'll be pretty easy to have a payload of 4,000 lbs. Check the label inside the driver's door frame of the truck to see what your truck's load capacity is. If less than 4,000 lbs, you'll be overloading the truck.

Buffchief

I have a 39mbhs and used to have a 2014 Duramax 2500. It was diesel and towed the 39mbhs just fine. Never had any problems with towing it. Have fun. We love our 39mbhs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buffchief

Actually, yes. I have had to make a panic stop and it did just fine. I was coming down a steep hill when at the last minute when someone cut me off to take the exit and stopped. Slammed on the brakes. Luckily the diesel brake was also being applied at the time, but no issues with stopping it.

Admittedly though I have upgraded to a 3500 HD now.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I am always amazed at some of the stupid stuff drivers often to to us when we are pulling a trailer.

Problem is that often we are the ones ruled at fault when the driver of the car doing the stupid stunts should be the ones penilized.

SNOKING

Actually, yes. I have had to make a panic stop and it did just fine. I was coming down a steep hill when at the last minute when someone cut me off to take the exit and stopped. Slammed on the brakes. Luckily the diesel brake was also being applied at the time, but no issues with stopping it.

Admittedly though I have upgraded to a 3500 HD now.

But you advise this new member to tow overloaded. Do you have scaled weights that you can provide to help this person to understand that he will be well over on a couple of the manufacturers suggested weights. That is over on GVWR and RGAWR(really bad rating to exceed, as it is tire based), however GCWR should be OK.

scotteam1

thank you all for your replies. I had a choice of buying the 1 ton single and dully. the difference with the 1 ton single wheel is that the towing and weight ratings were identical to the new 2500hd

Payload of the 2500hd denali diesel is 3534lbs
trailer pin weight is 2200

I think we are ok and the trailer dry weight is actually 13100

SNOKING

thank you all for your replies. I had a choice of buying the 1 ton single and dully. the difference with the 1 ton single wheel is that the towing and weight ratings were identical to the new 2500hd

Payload of the 2500hd denali diesel is 3534lbs
trailer pin weight is 2200

I think we are ok and the trailer dry weight is actually 13100

You have looked at the yellow sticker in the door jam and read 3534 lbs????

danemayer

3534 is the Max payload for any GMC 2500 HD Denali. Yours is more likely to come in between 2,600 and 2,900. Check inside the driver's door to find out the actual payload spec for your truck as it is actually configured.

Jim.Allison

The day of the DRW truck is slowly slipping away. Do your math, and do not be shamed into buying a DRW if you really want a SRW. If you need a DRW then you need one. Just do the math.

As far as stopping distance is concerned, I have never seen any test data that says that a DRW truck has better braking capability. IMHO this is based on an assumption that considers that a DRW truck has 6 contact patches. While that is true, DRW tires tend to be narrower than SRW. This is significant because SRW trucks have a significantly higher percentage contact patch on the front axle, which performs between 70 to 80% of the braking. The DRW Truck has only a slightly higher percentage of rubber contacting the road surface on the rear axle, and that axle is only responsible for 20 to 30% of total braking.

caissiel

Exactly my reason for owning the SRW with much better tires up front. My tire capacity is 14400 lbs. Plenty for braking and pulling. Is equal.

Sent from my B1-710 using Tapatalk

farside291

Just pull once in a heavy crosswind, night and day difference. I also have towed with single wheel and duals. With a big heavy camper duals is really a better option. Just my opinion.

danemayer

Single vs dual rear wheels is interesting, but the main point here is that after getting actual weights, the OP is likely to find out he's 1,000 lbs over the payload spec on his 2500HD.

SNOKING

Being over GVWR is no where as bad as being over RGAWR which is normally based on installed tire capacity.

Last edited:

Arvis

Just pull once in a heavy crosswind, night and day difference. I also have towed with single wheel and duals. With a big heavy camper duals is really a better option. Just my opinion.
Yep, I think the DRW is a better option for towing heavy weights in the cross winds.. Just saying!!!