2017 F350 headlights blinding other drivers

porthole

Retired
I recently towed my RW with my new 2017 F350. Although my truck only squats less than 3 inches, apparently it's enough to throw the headlights right into oncoming traffic. The truck drives and rides like a dream so I don't want to add airbags. Just curious if others had similar issues and what possible solutions could be.

Thanks.
Jason

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

You have the LED's ?

That is a common issue on the Ford forums. Either adjust the headlights down a bit or add the air bags.

You didn't mention which Road Warrior you are towing. If it is one of the heavier versions and you are riding on the overloads, air bags could really make an improvement on your ride, loaded and unloaded.

TGLBWH

North Central Region Directors-Retired
Firestone tells you to keep no less than 10# in air bags at all times, I assume airlift would be the same. I have had them on two trucks and would not be without.

Gaffer

I agree with the OP, I had airbags on my last truck and while it did improve the handling when towing, they definitely stiffened the ride to the point DW didn't like the truck. I can only assume the reason for the harsher ride was the need to leave at least 5 lbs in the bags so you didn't damage the bags when you weren't under a load.

For my new truck, I don't have a problem with the truck under load when towing, but if I do, I plan on going with the Timbren Rear Suspension Enhancement System. I have read many good reviews on them and they don't change the ride when not hooked up to the trailer.

Might be another option than saying the OP has to have air bags. I do agree the headlight blinding on coming drivers is a safety issue and something needs to be done.

The Timbren rubber bump stop replacement looks interesting. No air to mess with, easy to install, no effect on unloaded ride and not a bad price at just over $300. Anyone else have firsthand experience with it?
prod_5935019627

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
I'm not sure if your reply was meant to sound a bit sharp but it did. I was just looking for some insight and less judgement. I've always found the feedback here gracious and productive so I'm assuming that's where you're coming from. I can't speak to other trucks except the three trucks I've towed with over the last 15 years. And the ride quality on my current setup is the best by far. I've had some with and without air bags and from my experience, there is a clear difference in ride quality if your not hitting overload springs (which I'm clearly not). I agree that airbags are certainly am option; just hoping it's not the only option. That is what my original post was asking (and driven by the point that I agree it's a safety issue)...

Thanks.

My point was that ride quality is in the seat of the owners whether or not you have airbags or no airbags or some other system installed. Either way the blinding lights is a safety issue. I did not intend on offending you.

Jwill18

My point was that ride quality is in the seat of the owners whether or not you have airbags or no airbags or some other system installed. Either way the blinding lights is a safety issue. I did not intend on offending you.
No worries. I didn't think so.

Jwill18

You have the LED's ?

That is a common issue on the Ford forums. Either adjust the headlights down a bit or add the air bags.

You didn't mention which Road Warrior you are towing. If it is one of the heavier versions and you are riding on the overloads, air bags could really make an improvement on your ride, loaded and unloaded.
No on the LED's. I'm pulling the RW362, so not the heavier one. My truck doesn't squat much at all (only moves less than 3" so not on the overloads)...

NYSUPstater

The Timbren rubber bump stop replacement looks interesting. No air to mess with, easy to install, no effect on unloaded ride and not a bad price at just over $300. Anyone else have firsthand experience with it?

I had Timbren's on my old F250 and they worked quite well. However, over the course of time, I think the Ford springs started to go south as the Timbren's gap between them and the axle disappeared so they ended up resting on axle. It made the ride rougher when unloaded, but as for towing, they aided greatly in keeping rear end from dropping excessively. Want to say only dropped a couple inches. Going back to the lost gap, I called Timbren up and explained to them about the lost gap they sent me a new set, albeit shorter in overall length. Truck went bye-bye before I could replace them. Word of advice if you go w/ them. Put Never Seize on bolt you attach nut too. If not, you mat not get the nut off down the road if you need to replace anything.
prod_5935019627
prod_5935019627

I recommend trying the Timbren SES as they work as described. Really helped both ride height and ride quality when towing the Cyclone.

LBR

No on the LED's. I'm pulling the RW362, so not the heavier one. My truck doesn't squat much at all (only moves less than 3" so not on the overloads)...

Just a thought...because your NOT on the overloads, the very minor working of the rear springs as your driving could porpoise the front headlight that little extra bit to cause "flashing" the oncoming traffic.

In other words, if you WERE onto the overloads a touch, that bouncing may not happen to even close to the same extent that is flashing oncomers.

A very minor lowering of headlights could make most of those oncomers that high-beam you quit. Headlights these days are fluted to eliminate blinding, but our highway systems make the fronts of our tow rigs bounce for joy at times, for sure.

jbeletti

If you get the AirLift 5000 air bags, they have an internal jounce bumper and do not need any air when not towing. That’s what I have used on my last 3 trucks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is what I had put on my new truck last month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

avvidclif

Rough figuring. 3" drop at the rear. 18' front to rear. Lights are up 3" 18' in front of the truck. 54' and they are up 9". At a couple of hundred feet they are several feet too high and causing a problem.

DirtyMax88

My 2 cents....

How often are you towing your RW when it's dark anyway? I get flashed from time to time, as I'm sure others do when loaded. I wouldn't worry to much about it. It isn't worth adjusting your headlights or getting airbags, if you are 100% happy with the truck, as it is. I know it's not exactly great to be the person coming at you, but in the end, you aren't going to want to adjust your headlights, because when the truck's empty you'll only see 10 ft in front of you and you stated you don't want to get airbags.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I heard another issue with LED headlights the other day on the news . . .

Seems that since they don’t generate any heat that ice and snow does not melt off of them like regular or quartz headlights.

One of those things that make you say “Hhhmmmmmmmm . . .”

DirtyMax88

Seems that since they don’t generate any heat that ice and snow does not melt off of them like regular or quartz headlights.

Haha, well, form your own opinions on that from the picture below. On our way to MORryde last December, it came a nice snow storm as we were getting off the IN turnpike. The snow definitely melted off the LED's on the truck. :)
20161204_184613.jpg

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders

I know snow does not melt off the LED taillights and needs to be manually cleared occasionally.

I don't think the snow melts well on LED Headlights well either. LED Headlights do generate heat but it may be directed away from the LED bulb back into the engine compartment.

jbeletti

Haha, well, form your own opinions on that from the picture below. On our way to MORryde last December, it came a nice snow storm as we were getting off the IN turnpike. The snow definitely melted off the LED's on the truck. :)
View attachment 55765

Yeah, but your "front cap" heater wasn't working well :)

Seriously though, hope mine works as yours does - and melts the snow off the headlights.

Last edited:

porthole

Retired
My truck with conventional headlights will get snow and ice build up. When the weather is right the headlights do not generate enough heat to overcome the temp, moisture, wind chill effects.

But it will be an interesting test once the weather hits here. I'll have to put the infrared thermometer in the truck for this.

avvidclif

If you have snow and ice buildup anywhere on the truck or RV you are in the wrong place. Point the truck South and keep driving until the ice melts. Then add a couple of hundred miles for insurance.

porthole

Retired
If you have snow and ice buildup anywhere on the truck or RV you are in the wrong place. Point the truck South and keep driving until the ice melts. Then add a couple of hundred miles for insurance.

Can't do that yet - but this year I am holding a couple of vacation days so I can avoid going to work during the bad storms :rolleyes:

BLR

I agree.. our truck & trailer will never see snow or Ice.. The Desert is the place to be in the winter.. :)

Sent from BLR Logistics