2017 - Goshen Rally - Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

explorer2316

Explorer2316
I'd like to take a minute and say how upset this registration process has made me. The wife and I got on in plenty of time to pick a site and when we got to the site selection couldn't figure out what site to pick from the pull down. The selector gave little information about the site and noting about where my chapter leader was located. By the time I dug into the emails and found they were in Northwest all the sites were gone.
You might say I should have done my homework and been prepared but this is my first rally and really didnt know the game one has to play. I had an expectation of having a site map available to select from. There was nothing available on the "site" tab in the rally information either and I found only one link to a marked up fairgrounds map in one email.

As a new Heartland owner, first national rally, and one excited about participating in Heartland activities this has really upset me. After spending a lot of time selling my wife on the benefits of attending and getting her to come out of her shell to meet and spend time with new folks, she is almost in tears and wanting me to pay the $50 to cancle. We are stuck in site 322 next to the train tracks.

Maybe if someone could assist and get me away from the trains that would help.

It seems that in order to attract new folks there should be some kind of accomidation made. Perhaps allowing chapter leaders to assist new members and register with the staff?

I went to the service work page and clicked on link in the article also, and it says I don't have permission.
Hockster

mthompson

Jim, when I click on the link for the minor service this is what I get.

mthompson, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

jbeletti

I'd like to take a minute and say how upset this registration process has made me. The wife and I got on in plenty of time to pick a site and when we got to the site selection couldn't figure out what site to pick from the pull down. The selector gave little information about the site and noting about where my chapter leader was located. By the time I dug into the emails and found they were in Northwest all the sites were gone.
You might say I should have done my homework and been prepared but this is my first rally and really didnt know the game one has to play. I had an expectation of having a site map available to select from. There was nothing available on the "site" tab in the rally information either and I found only one link to a marked up fairgrounds map in one email.

As a new Heartland owner, first national rally, and one excited about participating in Heartland activities this has really upset me. After spending a lot of time selling my wife on the benefits of attending and getting her to come out of her shell to meet and spend time with new folks, she is almost in tears and wanting me to pay the $50 to cancle. We are stuck in site 322 next to the train tracks.

It seems that in order to attract new folks there should be some kind of accomidation made. Perhaps allowing chapter leaders to assist new members and register with the staff?

Hi Blake,

Sorry this whole process has upset you both so much. We know it's stressful for first-timers and we've worked hard to communicate to all club members, 2 weeks in advance, what they needed to know to make well informed decisions, come registration day. Later, privately, kindly feel free to private message me with some details on how we can do better at improving our processes is certainly our goal each year.

As for getting away from the train - no one escapes the sound of the train or it's whistle - anywhere at the Fairgrounds. But your Ring Road site selection will ensure that you also "feel" the train. I have taken the liberty of relocating you to the South area. Not much farther from the tracks - but it's something. South area sites are allocated as attendees arrive. So our parking team will do their best to site you in the next available South area site that is suitable for your coach.

After thinking about this overnight, if tomorrow, you decide it's best for you to cancel, kindly reach out to me privately and we will take care of that and I will waive the $50 fee as an exception.

Should you decide to attend, it's our hope that if you arrive with an open mind to a lot of fun and learning - you'll be glad you joined us.

mthompson

Hi Blake,

Sorry this whole process has upset you both so much. We know it's stressful for first-timers and we've worked hard to communicate to all club members, 2 weeks in advance, what they needed to know to make well informed decisions, come registration day. Later, privately, kindly feel free to private message me with some details on how we can do better at improving our processes is certainly our goal each year.

As for getting away from the train - no one escapes the sound of the train or it's whistle - anywhere at the Fairgrounds. But your Ring Road site selection will ensure that you also "feel" the train. I have taken the liberty of relocating you to the South area. Not much farther from the tracks - but it's something. South area sites are allocated as attendees arrive. So our parking team will do their best to site you in the next available South area site that is suitable for your coach.

After thinking about this overnight, if tomorrow, you decide it's best for you to cancel, kindly reach out to me privately and we will take care of that and I will waive the $50 fee as an exception.

Should you decide to attend, it's our hope that if you arrive with an open mind to a lot of fun and learning - you'll be glad you joined us.

Nicely done Jim, THATS great customer service. Looking forward to meeting you and everyone else.

jbeletti

Just tried again and it still says I am blocked for some reason....

Sorry Scott - I checked and found the form was still only open to a couple people for testing and I had not toggled on the rest of the user groups. Please try now and advise here. Thanks!

danemayer

Hi Blake,

I've been to a few of the Goshen rallies since 2011. My first one I was late registering and ended up on the wait list. Jim B. got Heartland to approve some extra slots and I got in. But the full hookup sites were gone, so it looked like I'd be dealing with holding tank work items. As it turned out, a full hookup spot did become available. But it was probably the site furthest from the rally hall and about 10 feet away from the dumpster for 70 rigs.

Our 2nd rally we were able to get a spot in NW. I'm not sure how many NW sites there are, but it's probably no more than 25% of the sites in use for the rally - maybe less. A lot of people didn't get in to NW. As it turned out, we didn't spend a lot of time at our site except when sleeping.

Our 3rd rally I had the same spot in NW, but I decided to give it up. Ended up on Harley Hill for a while with a move later on during the rally to the South area.

And this year I'll be in the South area again. I could have picked a site in NW, but having been in NW, in the infield, and in the South, I can tell you it doesn't make a lot of difference to me. There are great people in each of the areas and we had a great time in each. If there's something going on in another area, we usually just walk over to join in. If it's far enough, maybe we take the truck.

Btw, there's no escaping the trains. Doesn't matter where you are.

jbeletti

Jim, when I click on the link for the minor service this is what I get.

mthompson, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.
Should work now - please retry. I'd forgotten to reset user permissions to the form after testing. Oops.

jbeletti

Hi Blake,

I've been to a few of the Goshen rallies since 2011. My first one I was late registering and ended up on the wait list. Jim B. got Heartland to approve some extra slots and I got in. But the full hookup sites were gone, so it looked like I'd be dealing with holding tank work items. As it turned out, a full hookup spot did become available. But it was probably the site furthest from the rally hall and about 10 feet away from the dumpster for 70 rigs.

Our 2nd rally we were able to get a spot in NW. I'm not sure how many NW sites there are, but it's probably no more than 25% of the sites in use for the rally - maybe less. A lot of people didn't get in to NW. As it turned out, we didn't spend a lot of time at our site except when sleeping.

Our 3rd rally I had the same spot in NW, but I decided to give it up. Ended up on Harley Hill for a while with a move later on during the rally to the South area.

And this year I'll be in the South area again. I could have picked a site in NW, but having been in NW, in the infield, and in the South, I can tell you it doesn't make a lot of difference to me. There are great people in each of the areas and we had a great time in each. If there's something going on in another area, we usually just walk over to join in. If it's far enough, maybe we take the truck.

Btw, there's no escaping the trains. Doesn't matter where you are.
There are 76 sites in NW or 29.34% of the 259 sites we're making available (subject to change).

Thanks for the positivity Dan. I could not agree more. I have camped in nearly every section of this place. It all works well for being at a rally where you are rarely at your camper. But these are things the first-timers will learn and then know for next time.

mthompson

Thanks Mark. I look forwarding to meeting you (without your Chewbacca mask!) :)

Oh, we'll have to really get to knw each other, I don't take off the mask for just anyone.

BTW the service link is working now.

Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Didn't see a place to sign up for the Design Studio tour at heartland. Could you help?

I would also be interested in the Design tour along with the BigHorn tour.

SHerrick

Sorry Scott - I checked and found the form was still only open to a couple people for testing and I had not toggled on the rest of the user groups. Please try now and advise here. Thanks!
Thank you, Jim! Got on and have my wish list created. Appreciate the quick fix!

explorer2316

Explorer2316
Well things get even more interesting. I just got a call from a very helpful and friendly lady working the rally site registration.
I printed out my confirmation which shows, ring road site 322 however she said my registration showed south area. I explained I had hard copy indicating otherwise. I refreshed my confirmation and amazingly it no longer showed 322 but south area. I would have taken south area but she could not gurantee 50 am service so, she was able to move me back into 322. WOW....... There's a snafu for you.
I'm going to have to think long and hard about future rallys.....

Signed, upset and now disappointed too.....golly.

pegmikef

I just wanted to say that my registration process was flawless. I got everything I wanted and everything was exactly as the documentation said it would be. Kudos to Jim and his crew who set this whole thing up and made the whole process pretty painless. Thanks everybody.

Status
Not open for further replies.