2018 mid & mid year Landmark Newport changes

porthole

Retired
Re: 2018 mid & mid year Landmark Newport changes

New Ford crew cab size + Landmark + Swival cart = 70' plus ??

Just a number ....

- - - Updated - - -

There commonly 5' long give or take...it'll be close to 70. I'm more interested in knowing if double tow is legal in nj or pa? I imagine Duane knows....

What Jamie and Jim said

- - - Updated - - -

Truck is 22'
Trailer is 43' (42' 8")
Swivel wheel is 5' plus about 1' for hitch assembly

22 + 43 + 6 = 71

Without having a tape or the vehicles handy, the hitch is about 4' in from the end and the pin box is about 2' from the nose.

71 - 4 - 2 = 65

Looks good to me

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
There commonly 5' long give or take...it'll be close to 70. I'm more interested in knowing if double tow is legal in nj or pa? I imagine Duane knows....

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I've seen said units in PA and around the country many times. I suspect if they were illegal they'd not be on the market

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired

Swivel wheel is 5' plus about 1' for hitch assembly

13' tail + 6' hitch. That's a lot of A** hanging behind the rear axle. Lots of tail swinging back there.

fastcarsspeed

We have seen them in MD, DE, VA, and PA on our travels. My only concern with the swivel axle and why we went with the cyclone was the atv's and the electric golf cart. The Swivel Axle Trailer I have seen limits you to 60 or 65mph and the tires really worried me. Also having to weld onto the frame of your new rv and possibly voiding warranty was a concern.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Duane, as I'm sure you know, Lou transports his motorcycle on one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

porthole

Retired

We have seen them in MD, DE, VA, and PA on our travels. My only concern with the swivel axle and why we went with the cyclone was the atv's and the electric golf cart. The Swivel Axle Trailer I have seen limits you to 60 or 65mph and the tires really worried me. Also having to weld onto the frame of your new rv and possibly voiding warranty was a concern.

We could get by with limited use. The golf cart is a luxury because we have the Cyclone. Since I already have the cart, bringing it along a couple times a year would justify the swivel wheel. The bike we really don't get to use as much as I anticipated. But, still having the bike helps justify the swivel wheel. Not having it is not the end of the world either, as long as I can still bring bikes.

I seldom travel over 65 (with the trailer). Only to pass.

Welding to the frame? Reputable shop would not concern me. Our Cyclone was at MOR/ryde for IS before I left the dealer in Elkhart.

- - - Updated - - -

Duane, as I'm sure you know, Lou transports his motorcycle on one

Ah yup, well aware. Lou wasn't even riding at Goshen 2015 but brought the Swivel wheel along just to show us.

fastcarsspeed

Do you know which Swivel Wheel you would go with? My BIL is looking to get a 5th wheel and would need to put his ATV on a trailer behind.

porthole

Retired

My plan is to have somebody add the receivers. Dan's Hitch was the first I contacted as they are right down the street from the dealer.

They don't seem to be the easiest to just get a straight answer.

• Can I set an appointment while I am at the trailer dealer?
  • Will you?
  • Approximate time
  • Approximate cost

These guys do work like this all the time, so they should be able to estimate cost and time.

I want whatever necessary framework made up and then 3 receivers welded on. Two on 30" centers and one in the center.

This would make it simpler for whenever we do get a SW, the trailer is already equipped. Even if we never get a SW, it will allow the addition of a storage rack like the Hobert's or Marigliano's use. And the dual receivers will allow the bin to be strong enough for a generator.

Plan B will be to arrange for MOR/ryde to do this.

I still have to check on how far back the SW receivers need to be.
E.g. flush with the rear cap, extend out some etc.

- - - Updated - - -

Got any more information on the 3 point hitch Duane? I'd really like to do what you are exploring, but the hitch set-up is my primary concern.

You could do it with one receiver, but for me I am not a fan of the single wheel SW

Lou_and_Bette

13' tail + 6' hitch. That's a lot of A** hanging behind the rear axle. Lots of tail swinging back there.

Jamie, after towing 15k, or more, have not noticed any "tail swinging" except during high cross winds. The only thing I have noticed is less chucking.

porthole

Retired
Jamie is referring to the amount of swing the trailer will have, exaggerated by the Newport's overhang that is already at 13.5'

Lou_and_Bette

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

The Swivel Wheel website addresses the legality issue and it is their interpretation of the "double tow" laws of all the states that this platform does not violate this law because it does not articulate at the hitch since it is attached at two places and becomes an "extension" of your trailer. This is like the cement trucks and other trucks that have extra wheels to put down to carry extra weight which is what mine is doing to support the extra weight of the motorcycle hanging off the frame with a mount of some sort. My opinion is this platform falls in a grey area of the law and if a LEO stops me for this issue I will tell them I'm just passing through their area and will leave ASAP, or I'll pay the ticket...worth the risk to me...it's not a problem until it is and I'll deal with it then

- - - Updated - - -

I usually tow 62-63 MPH so speed is not an issue with me. The trailer came with Kenda 5.70-8 tires load rating C, I found Kenda tires 5.70-8 load rating D on eTrailer. After 15k miles I noticed some wear and changed them. Incidentally, the wear seemed to be caused more by the tire being swiveled on pavement rather than "rolling" wear.

- - - Updated - - -

Jamie is referring to the amount of swing the trailer will have, exaggerated by the Newport's overhang that is already at 13.5'

I understand Duane, I wanted to point out that I personally don't experience any additional tail swinging with trailer attached except, as I noted, during high cross winds.

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders

The Swivel Wheel website addresses the legality issue and it is their interpretation of the "double tow" laws of all the states that this platform does not violate this law because it does not articulate at the hitch since it is attached at two places and becomes an "extension" of your trailer. This is like the cement trucks and other trucks that have extra wheels to put down to carry extra weight which is what mine is doing to support the extra weight of the motorcycle hanging off the frame with a mount of some sort. My opinion is this platform falls in a grey area of the law and if a LEO stops me for this issue I will tell them I'm just passing through their area and will leave ASAP, or I'll pay the ticket...worth the risk to me...it's not a problem until it is and I'll deal with it then
Lou, do you have a two point attachment to your BigHorn?

porthole

Retired

Lou, do you have a two point attachment to your BigHorn?

Kieth,
Single wheel SW is a single point, with an option for the pivoting 2 point.
Dual wheel SW is a pivoting 2 point (no single option)

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
Thanks Duane and Lou.. Now I just have to justify the cost to "She who must be listened to and obeyed." I pretty much know what she'll say....."sell some of your other toys then we'll talk."

I really do need to sell my Pak-Rak motorcycle lift and my Tow Buddy trailer pull first, but I really don't want to wait that long.:D