2024 t331 onan 5500 issues

t331livin

Purchased a new 2024 t331. Has an on board onan 5500 generator with 30 gal fuel tank. We live at 7000ft but purchased ut at sea level. It will run for 30 minutes and turn off. I can start it right up and it'll run for a few minutes and turn off. Turned the carb to 5000ft. Adjusted oil level to correct about 1/3 up the stick since they put the wrong depth one in it. I think it is overheating. One of the hose covers melted off. I keep the cover on and the door open. I get random codes. 1st time it happened with oil overfull code 2, 2nd time code 36, this last time 33. Which doesn't exist. Has 1.5 hours on the generator. Traced the fuel hose back and I don't see an obstruction or kink. Checked the air filter. From my understanding code 33 is coolant. But it's air cooled? Going to try a fan on it tomorrow. Outside temp has been 60-80 degrees F. We full time boon dock and have been using our ford powerboost to run the trailer until i get the solar transfered from our ild trailer. Any advise would be helpful. TIA!

Attachments

• 20240815_175611.jpg
    20240815_175611.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 9

david-steph2018

On our Onan, when it is hot I remove the cover and leave the door open for extra air circulation. Last year we were in Key West dry camping for 3 months and had to run the generator. We worked in Yellowstone for 3 months during the summer 2023, and we ran the generator a few days, probably 7-10 days total.
I would make sure the bottom is clear for air and not causing any issues.

t331livin

On our Onan, when it is hot I remove the cover and leave the door open for extra air circulation. Last year we were in Key West dry camping for 3 months and had to run the generator. We worked in Yellowstone for 3 months during the summer 2023, and we ran the generator a few days, probably 7-10 days total.
I would make sure the bottom is clear for air and not causing any issues.
Tried a fan directly on it, cover off. Still turned off after 30 mins. Any other suggestions

GrandpaAl

t331 - our 2023 Fuel362 with the 5500 Onan (made for California) has the same issue. We dry camp 100% of the time. Since the weather warmed up, our generator shuts down after about 20-30 minutes. We were camping and needed the generator so out of desperation we left the trailer panel open and the generator cover off. It ran for 2-4 hours at a time with the a/c's on . . . we shut off when away from the trailer. Thought it might be vapor locking so wrapped the fuel lines inside the generator compartment with heatshield wrap, did not work. Still shut down with the code 36. Most of the winter we had other issues with the generator shutting down when an appliance turned off with the engine overrevving (code 31), Camping World wouldn't look at it. My neighbor and I figured it to be a governor setting and so far so good. I have an appointment next week to take it to a different dealer. I will let y'all know how that turns out. THIS IS EXTREMELY FRUSTRATING!!!

t331livin

Yea they forgot to make a vent! Thank you do much. I'm going to run it tonight and see if it shuts off

Attachments

• 20240826_185300.jpg
    20240826_185300.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 10

t331livin

t331 - our 2023 Fuel362 with the 5500 Onan (made for California) has the same issue. We dry camp 100% of the time. Since the weather warmed up, our generator shuts down after about 20-30 minutes. We were camping and needed the generator so out of desperation we left the trailer panel open and the generator cover off. It ran for 2-4 hours at a time with the a/c's on . . . we shut off when away from the trailer. Thought it might be vapor locking so wrapped the fuel lines inside the generator compartment with heatshield wrap, did not work. Still shut down with the code 36. Most of the winter we had other issues with the generator shutting down when an appliance turned off with the engine overrevving (code 31), Camping World wouldn't look at it. My neighbor and I figured it to be a governor setting and so far so good. I have an appointment next week to take it to a different dealer. I will let y'all know how that turns out. THIS IS EXTREMELY FRUSTRATING!!!
Check my photos. They completely forgot to vent it. Thanks to the other member that posted photos of his underside, it was obvious why it kept throwing random codes after 30 minutes. See if yours is vented like his. It's been running for over an hour so far

david-steph2018

Check my photos. They completely forgot to vent it. Thanks to the other member that posted photos of his underside, it was obvious why it kept throwing random codes after 30 minutes. See if yours is vented like his. It's been running for over an hour so far
If you look your rig is probably under this recall:

GrandpaAl

Ours appears to be vented as intended, just not convinced it's proper. The code seems to be consistently 36. Our appointment with Camping World turned out to be a total debacle, glad I confirmed the night before we made the 70 mile trip. We have been referred to a Cummins dealer this Friday (the 13th). Hopefully they can figure it out. Also, not sure if we're on the recall list. On a side note, we took the trailer to a RV site and used it with full hookups this past week and we really enjoyed ourselves.