21st Century 5ver

Rockerga

Full-time WANNABE
IMHO as I live in a NT (Heartland product) we are pondering our eventual upgrade to a 5ver or even a motor coach. Now I have not shopped or even began the task of comparisons on a motor home as yet but have been quite diligent with TT and 5vers in my previous and up-date quests.

I started this thread as not so much a decision process of mine but rather someone less knowledgeable how they may make a decision and offering a word of advice from a customers perspective.

This morning on a errand I remembered that I also I needed some "supplies" from our local dealer (PECO, in Stone Mountain, GA) and of course what trip would be complete without a look around the lot at the new arrivals.

What I found on the surface was to me rather startling. I saw many 5vers priced higher or in the same ranges as an Elk Ridge from Heartland and they really did not compare IMHO overall!

What was apparent however is some of these guys are re-designing/listening to the customers or have forethought of what the baby-boomer "Digital-age" customers are going to want, need and desire with me being one of them.

I saw innovations that Heartland needs to adapt into their production and it is not really adding cost issue in a lot of cases but rather an ability to satisfy the most detailed of wants in an RV. These guys must live or spend a lot of time INSIDE their RV's!

Firstly, since I am a musician and LOVE HDTV I have some prospective on things Heartland could/SHOULD improve upon. The flat screen televisions in your newest line-up only allows for a 32 inch in the main area. This needs to be upgraded (Whether you offer or not) for the capability to house a 42". The speakers need to be positioned for the listener and not where a production engineer says they will fit. (Even if that means adding two more!)

In the bedroom this little shelfy thing is not really a TV shelf is it? It is too small and too high. Try to lay on the bed and watch that for an hour! The competitors (As with the main TV) offer a larger TV and they place it on the dresser in front of the bed instead of installing a full-sized window!

These are just two observances made for your benefit and I have more. I do like the Heartland product line and that is why I have input this thread.

I did notice also that the half-time oven was not there but rather a traditional (Appearing) microwave! (That is a deal killer IMHO!)

wyleyrabbit

I love technology, and consider myself an "early adopter". That said, I am satisfied with the TV in the bedroom. It's big enough for watching the news before dozing off. I think the size of the bedroom window is fine, and I'd rather have a window than a slightly larger TV.

I agree with you about the home theater TV in the living room though. I think 32" is now a bit on the small side. More importantly though, the rear speakers need to be behind the viewers, and therefore in the slide. This should not be that difficult, IMHO, since there are already wires and such going to the cabinets there for the lights.

My $0.02.

RoadJunkie

If I was interested in home media--big screen, deluxe sound, etc.--as a priority, I would probably look at rigs with the best possibility for modification. I would want to select my own brand of mega-inch HDTV and window-shattering sound system. I'm sure HL (or any other brand) would like to be all things to all people, but I don't think it's practical. If the wife would let me, I would throw out the recliner chairs and become a rolling movie megaplex home theater...arghhh, arghhh, arghhh.

wyleyrabbit

At least the Heartland folks got it mostly right. Back when we were shopping, we saw several brands that installed the front speakers at the back of the trailer and the rear speakers over by the door. So when watching TV, all three front speakers were on the ceiling to your right, and the rear speakers were on the ceiling waaaaay over to your left. Not exactly what Dolby labs had in mind, methinks. Even the salesman at the dealership shook his head and laughed when I pointed that out.

2010augusta

In the bedroom this little shelfy thing is not really a TV shelf is it? It is too small and too high. Try to lay on the bed and watch that for an hour! The competitors (As with the main TV) offer a larger TV and they place it on the dresser in front of the bed instead of installing a full-sized window!

I believe that the full size window is needed as an egress route. I believe that the RVIA codes require a fire escape wing in the bedroom. I would not want a TV from letting me out of an escape.

I like the high-mounted TV it allows me to see it over my size 15 clodhoppers, and a 19" is plenty to watch while dozing off, a bigger unit would make the bedroom even brighter.

caissiel

Lets not forget that we are talking about an RV, a unit for relaxation.
The theater business was going to go out of business when the VCR showed up and now the theater and movie, business is booming. If I want to see a movie big screen I still go to the theater.
I am sitting here in the TV room and looking at a 58" Big Screen TV, the requirements for this TV is to be 15ft. away. The requirement for a 32" TV is something like 8 ft so there you go what is it for a 42", in proportion it looks like 11ft or more to me.
I sit about 8ft away in my unit at the most, I am very satisfied with 32". We had a 26" and to me sitting on the couch it looked a bit small after watching the 32" for 3 years.
Just my opinion.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Here is an idea. How about a projection TV. A wall with a pull down screen both on the inside and outside. Then the tv screen size is only dependent on the projector. Remember also that you are not in a sticks and bricks house and if you turn up the volume too much your neighbor will be banging on your door telling you to turn down the volume so they can hear theirs. How about a happy medium.

wyleyrabbit

In case any of you need a home theater viewing distance/screen size calculator, here's the one I trust: http://myhometheater.homestead.com/viewingdistancecalculator.html

I'm not in our trailer right now, but my guess is that the TV is about 10' from my eyeballs when watching from the hide-a-bed. Given the 32" TV, that gives a 13° viewing angle which is far less than the 26° angle recommended for theaters. :)

Is this good enough for watching a movie or a game? Absolutely!

Now, we don't have a toy hauler, but for those that do: what about a white sheet hanging down in the large doorway with a projector behind it. I would think you'd be able to achieve Jim's dream of a screen that's viewable from either side. I think most projectors can reverse the image too. :)

Rockerga

Full-time WANNABE
The audio side of this thread was next but everyone here already picked-up on that quite well already.

The purpose here is not to SLAM Heartland but rather because the majority of us (Including ME) agree that we like our units and would trade-in for another it is the purpose of educating them for technology in forthcoming units. Or it could be said to add what others have done already that we would like Heartland to consider.

I had forgotten about the egress window in the bedroom: VERY GOOD POINT! However then; leave the window but wire the dresser (area) for the audio sound and use a full articulating desk mount on the dresser.

The television (Or audio) like most anything in the arts is in the eye (Ear) of the viewer: What you watch (Listen to) is what you need or desire for a screen (Speaker arrangement)!

Wiring/arranging things properly adds minor if any cost at all. Let the buyer upgrade to better, bigger, audiophile, LED mega TV's BUT GIVE US THAT OPTION!

If you wire it properly in the desired locations for full sound and video then WE can decide to leave it as you provided or upgrade as we would like but the basics are there to do so. Currently we cannot the way it is done.

The stereo speakers and video connections need to be in the proper locations! That is all I am saying! I would upgrade to all LED and place a 42" in the main room, 32" in the bedroom and place a full articulating swing arm in the hold (With the slam doors) to have one outside and allow for a 32" there as well.

Audio-wise: I would upgrade (As I did) to a full AM,FM, CD, MP3, iTunes player and added an amplifier. I replaced (and enlarged) the two interior and two exterior speaker to audiophile quality. The wiring was re-done to allow for satellite TV control in all locations!

OK, with all that what has Heartland spent additionally providing their 5vers with the same-sized tv's and speakers BUT WITH THE CAPABILITY TO DO WHAT YOU WOULD LIKE....... PROBABLY NOTHING MUCH!

They just re-wired from the current schematic and used some forethought in designing for the entertainment pleasures of their buyers.

You say tomato I say tomatoe!

SilverRhino

How Times Have Changed

It's amazing how times have changed!

Once back in the 60's, my parents brought a small portable TV along on one of our week long summer trips to the lake. It was probably a 12 inch, black and white.

We thought we had died and gone to heaven! Camping with a TV... Unheard of! The newness wore off by the 2nd day and we were back to playing cards and sitting around the camp fire.

I always said that I would "never" be one of those people that said "I remember when"... Now I'm old enough to remember when and sometimes I have to admit, life was simpler in the "old days". :)

Travel Safe!

wyleyrabbit

Rockerga,

Is there any reason why you couldn't put an LCD panel on a swing arm, mounted to the wall beside the window? Certainly, there must be some wall studs you could anchor to?

Chris

Rockerga

Full-time WANNABE
It's amazing how times have changed!

Once back in the 60's, my parents brought a small portable TV along on one of our week long summer trips to the lake. It was probably a 12 inch, black and white.

We thought we had died and gone to heaven! Camping with a TV... Unheard of! The newness wore off by the 2nd day and we were back to playing cards and sitting around the camp fire.

I always said that I would "never" be one of those people that said "I remember when"... Now I'm old enough to remember when and sometimes I have to admit, life was simpler in the "old days". :)

Travel Safe!

...and I am one of them! (55 years young this past September)

Chris: I don't want to do it yet but I am shopping for that eventual purchase making notes of what I find or thoughts to you guys and gals + Heartland.

I have made those type mods to my 2009 28RLS and we love them when we choose to enjoy them, or we leave it all off and make S'mores by the fire! The same problem arose as I did mention however with wiring and speaker placement or mis-placement when doing this mod.

The quality of an audio system in its power and placement is not for volume but to be surrounded by the music hearing every note.

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
Back in my tent camping days, my BIL would bring a portable air conditioner and duct it into both his tents. Ran it on HIGH and was usually @ 60* in his tents! That was the life! :D

Randy

Founding Georgia Chapter Leader (Ret)
Ron, I just came across this post and noticed you mentioned Peco Campers.
Santha and I store our Sundance in their storage lot.
I would say that we being older than you by a few years would not have really paid much attention to this post but even last fall we purchased a Lcd
tv and a Onkyo stereo.
I guess it speaks to what we expect in life even if we are roughing it.
Randy

Rockerga

Full-time WANNABE
Ron, I just came across this post and noticed you mentioned Peco Campers.
Santha and I store our Sundance in their storage lot.
I would say that we being older than you by a few years would not have really paid much attention to this post but even last fall we purchased a Lcd
tv and a Onkyo stereo.
I guess it speaks to what we expect in life even if we are roughing it.
Randy

"The times they are a changin!" That is all I am saying; todays buyers no matter the age are becoming plugged-in and digitized. The prices are falling through the floor for very hi quality 1080P sets and most everyone has a favorite genre of music they would like to hear in a quality setting. It is just about a quality of life almost when you so choose to desire it.

I personally go both extreme's when I am camping and I am a part-time full-timer. (Wednesday - Sunday I am in my RV up at Trackrock campgrounds) I have my television movies in HD with surround sound, I like the big weather maps and all while I am doing whatever as the screens articulate to my position in the RV.

Then at times I want to sit by the fire and eat peanuts listening to my iPod then at times I want dead wilderness silence. I time my music/noise versus silence with my daily animal watching sessions. The plentiful deer at both ends of the day, squirrels and chipmunks ALL DAY, an occasional young bear or raccoon later in the evening.

Technology is growing faster than ever so all I am saying to Heartland is to "wire" their coaches accordingly and properly to allow for larger newer technology in more places. Is it that hard????? You have a choice to use it or not but there was not a cost for it. As Randy just said: "I would say that we being older than you by a few years would not have really paid much attention to this post but even last fall we purchased a Lcd
tv and a Onkyo stereo."
He changed his mind.....Now can he change his mind to upgrade his Heartland also to maximum advantage if he so chooses?

NO!

SilverRhino

I think you hit it on the head when you stated why not have the option. We could then choose whether or not to use it.

Might not want it now...but would be great to have the ability to update and stay current at a later time.

Great post!

Travel Safe!

Rockerga

Full-time WANNABE
I think you hit it on the head when you stated why not have the option. We could then choose whether or not to use it.

Might not want it now...but would be great to have the ability to update and stay current at a later time.

Great post!

Travel Safe!

The great part for us all including Heartland is that it is really very simple to accomplish also. The wiring could even be "stock "Heartland inventory" as once it is there (and NOT tethered) a new wire(s) could be pulled through to handle higher-end equipment. The same with speaker location: if it is in the proper areas then an upgrade is simple.

As far as a cargo area television that would be a new run of audio/video cables however.:eek: