362 fridge question....cause I don't know

TxRoadWarrior362

We are driving 10 hours to Stillwater, OK on Friday. If we were in our previous Motorhome, I'd keep tha generator running to keep everything cold, including us. How do I keep thinks cold in the fridge while we travel the 10 hours? :confused:

thanks,
Tim

danemayer

That appears to be a Residential refrigerator (like you would find in a residence - runs off 120V AC only). Your rig has an inverter that converts 12V DC from the batteries into 120V AC. There's also a transfer switch that switches from shore power to inverter power when shore power is disconnected.

You'll want to start the refrigerator a day or two before traveling to let it get down to normal operating temperature. Then when you are ready to leave, and are disconnecting shore power, be sure the inverter is turned on and the refrigerator is running on battery power.

You can read more about how it all works in our owner-written Residential Refrigerator Guide.

TxRoadWarrior362

That appears to be a Residential refrigerator (like you would find in a residence - runs off 120V AC only). Your rig has an inverter that converters 12V DC from the batteries into 120V AC. There's also a transfer switch that switches from shore power to inverter power when shore power is disconnected.

You'll want to start the refrigerator a day or two before traveling to let it get down to normal operating temperature. Then when you are ready to leave, and are disconnecting shore power, be sure the inverter is turned on and the refrigerator is running on battery power.

You can read more about how it all works in our owner-written Residential Refrigerator Guide.

Thanks Dan. Great information.

Tim

Sarge

We have the smaller 18cu ft dual (elec/propane) fridge.

Question:

We will be boondocking at the NASCAR race for four days.

How much propane will we use - Since the generator can't run between midnight and 0600hrs?

I'm thinking run on propane through the night - Then the gen for a few hours in the AM and evening.

Please advise....

GO JR !!!

alwaysbusy

Sarge, over the years we have done a bunch of boondocking and actually prefer it as it's typically more secluded and quiet (woods, not the NASCAR field, LOL). We've always used the Norcold fridges and got another in our current coach. From our experience, they are efficient. If the fridge, furnace, stove and hot water heater are the only items pulling off the propane your good to go. However, if your gen is propane and your going to run it a lot, your not gonna make it. I've had both LP and gas Onans and there are pros and cons to both. Two full 30lbs tanks last about 2 days with the gen constantly running. In either case, when boondocking, we always make sure both LP tanks are topped off and full. Enjoy the race.

Oregon_Camper

Question:

How much propane will we use - Since the generator can't run between midnight and 0600hrs?

Fridge use is about 1.5 pounds per day.

Furnace use is about 1.5 pounds per hour, it does not matter what temperature it is set on it matters how long it runs.

Water Heater is about .5 pounds per hour.

Stove/oven is in the range of .25 pounds per hour.

TxRoadWarrior362

We have the smaller 18cu ft dual (elec/propane) fridge.

Question:

I'm thinking run on propane through the night - Then the gen for a few hours in the AM and evening.

Please advise....

GO JR !!!

Which race Sarge! Ditto Go Jr!

esscobra

I my previous trailer - At texas for 5 days - would run fridge on propane starting on way there until home- and use for stove and water a sometimes furnace- never used more than a 30lb tank- and usually there are propane refill trucks driving around -