Refrigerator Performance and Maintenance

StrongJava

Good morning, Bill.

I've got the thermistor placed about mid way up the fin on the far right side. Over the past 24 hours, the temp inside has remained between 32 and 36 degrees, and the ice cream is the freezer is solid again (most important!).

I have not checked the exterior fan but I assume it is still running full out. Regarding the outside air flow, are you saying you don't think the exterior fan should be placed up near the exterior fins pulling the air off them, but rather should be placed lower in the compartment pushing the air over the head exchanger?

Yes, we've use the ice packs previously, but didn't have to for the past couple of days. Or fridge side is westward facing, but a tree helps block some of the direct sunlight. I had thought about get a reflective surface but want to resolve other issues first.

Thanks again!

rxbristol

I have not checked the exterior fan but I assume it is still running full out. Regarding the outside air flow, are you saying you don't think the exterior fan should be placed up near the exterior fins pulling the air off them, but rather should be placed lower in the compartment pushing the air over the head exchanger?

I've had MUCH better results putting the fan so it draws air and not push it.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I've had MUCH better results putting the fan so it draws air and not push it.

We have a fan that's mounted at the top vent, pulls air out away from fins, over the baffle. Was installed by dealer during our warranty in 2011, and we've not had a problem with fridge since. (Knock on wood).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wdk450

Gang:
I had my idea about installing exhaust fans in the upper refrigerator vent cover, and decided to share it with David Force from RV Cooling Unit Warehouse .com . I learned something new in his reply to me, and thought that I should share it with the forum:

"The air flow across the tubing is not important, it's the air flow through the condenser fins at the very top of the cooling unit is the important part. Most RV's allow the air flow to by pass the fins to exit the upper vent without go through the condenser fins which cause the cooling unit to not cool correct or the customer to assume a failed cooling unit. The gap from the condenser fins to a diverter, baffle, or RV wall should not be more than 1/2 inch."

StrongJava

Interesting. I've come across the diagrams that show a baffle on the outside wall about mid way down, and then another baffle above the condenser fins to divert the air, after passing through the fins, out the vent opening vice on top of the fridge/freezer box. In my mind, this would seem to jive with Mr. Force's comments. I suppose where the fan is actually located may be less important as long as it causes the air to move through the compartment.

We've been running for two days now in the current config and temps have remained between 32 and 36, and the temp setting on the unit is set on 3 since yesterday. We are 1/2 way through our food cycle so the fridge is not as full as it was four days ago. The real test will be after we shop again.

For now, I'm going to focus on getting a baffle in there, getting the condensate drain line fixed (currently using a paper towel in the catch tray), and ordering new door seals.

Has anyone fashioned a baffle for the top of the compartment? What did you use?

Thanks.

Tim

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Has anyone fashioned a baffle for the top of the compartment? What did you use?

Thanks.

Tim
I have installed a baffle and used galvanized heat duct sheet metal.
Pretty easy to do with just a little measuring, cutting, pop rivets and screws.

Peace
Dave

Attachments

• baffle 2.jpg
    baffle 2.jpg
    232.8 KB · Views: 36
  • baffle.jpg
    baffle.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 32

wdk450

Attachments

• Slide Refrigerator Baffle System Mod..pdf
    118.3 KB · Views: 21

StrongJava

Thank you both for the ideas, drawings and diagrams. I'll fashion something.

I also notice you both have insulation across the entire top of the box, which is something else I can add. I don't think I have any insulation on the outside wall either.

Tim