3950 Cyclone Weight-Wow

Rockerga

Full-time WANNABE
It is very hard to upgrade your GVWR. The sticker the factory puts on it is pretty much what your stuck with. I think you would be better off putting your money into a bigger truck. Remember part whats goes into the GVWR is the springs, frame, brakes, axle, etc.

I know....I can dream though can't I............

I think if I was just driving weekends and local this would be a great alternative trick but my plan is to visit all of North America so I better do it right! We have a few years to go before we pull the trigger on the new 5ver (AND new truck...) and retirement so all is not lost.

Bogger

The frame, springs and brakes are the same in the 3/4 ton or 1 ton. The only difference is the extra leaf spring in the 1 ton, and the tires. So upgrading the tires does indeed get you more load capacity, maybe not "technically" but in the real world.

Oldlthrneck

Just an Old Jarhead
The frame, springs and brakes are the same in the 3/4 ton or 1 ton. The only difference is the extra leaf spring in the 1 ton, and the tires. So upgrading the tires does indeed get you more load capacity, maybe not "technically" but in the real world.

I agree Bogger, if you look at your GAVW for the rear it is listed at 6084lbs. If you look at your tires, the P245 load range E is rated at 3042 lbs. The weight rating is based on the tires, and the weight that they will handle. If you go to the P265 tires, load range E, they are rated at 3400 and some change. The tires and the load they can handle is what limits the GAVW of the vehicle. Keep in mind that does not change the limit as far as the weight you can pull, but does change the load you can put in the bed of the truck. I am sure there are some that will disagree with this, and they are entitled to their opinion. But you can look at any truck out there and you will see the load limit is exactly the load limit of the tires.
Those that seem to think a one ton can haul so much more based on brakes, axles and so forth, in my opinion are off base. I have done the research and all of the part numbers for all of those components are identical between the 2500HD and 3500. The only difference mechanically is, as you said, the 3500 has an extra leaf in the springs and they have 4 tires. Therefore they can carry the extra weight, but even the 3500 is limited by the combined load capacity of the tires.

Rockerga

Full-time WANNABE
I agree that the leaf springs and tires is a valid argument (And would do the trick) but for traveling interstate and on to Canada with the DOT stops/weigh stations: they will take the rating on your door! So I guess we cannot win!:(

We are safe and following common sense as we all should do but legally we are tied to the sticker on the door. I guess if I cannot afford the new TV when I "want" and can "afford" the 5ver I will stick to local travels and do those upgrades.

When I decide it is time to travel I will have to upgrade to at least the 3500HD or like vehicle. The current 5ver I am looking at is max 14,000# but has a 2,350# pin weight! My haul weight allowance due to "options" after an actual "weigh-in" is way less than that pin.

Oldlthrneck

Just an Old Jarhead
Everyone has to make that decision for themselves. Some people are not comfortable with anything less than a Peterbuilt. ;)

Rockerga

Full-time WANNABE
Heck: I love my 2500HD just as she is but the DOT scales and their personnel won't..... I have had run-ins before with DOT and border/weigh stations and YOU LOSE everytime!

Don't want a Peterbilt (Unless someone want to give me one;)) but I need to be 50 states and Canada legal from THEIR POINT OF VIEW!:D

Rigmover06

Now Your Talking..

Everyone has to make that decision for themselves. Some people are not comfortable with anything less than a Peterbuilt. ;)

The easiest way to miss the checks on tires/axles yada yada yada..

PETERBILT.

With a tandem axle, they can't say nothing except have a nice day and nice looking rig.:D

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Dan
ps, after pulling this, the Cyclone is a piece of cake.:eek:

Attachments

• HPIM3277.jpg
    HPIM3277.jpg
    222.7 KB · Views: 42
Last edited: