3rd a/c unit questions and a/c mod questions

Have a 2015 cyclone 3800. It has two a/c units. one in the front bedroom and one in the garage. It has a vent in the living room/kitchen. wondering if the wiring is there for an additional a/c unit ?? or if two will be sufficent to cool unit ?? thinking of adding a/c, with simple controls on ceiling. I also read regarding the a/c mod. Where there is a diverter installed in the vents. Anyone with results of increased air flow in living quarters ?? I appreciate the input. thank you chris.:confused:

Lynn1130

A call to Heartland Customer Service with your VIN will give you all the information you need about your particular unit and what is wired and prepped. I am not sure about your Cyclone but there is no way I could reach controls on the ceiling in the living room on mine.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Your only issue with 3 A/C units is. You cannot run all 3 at the same time off of a 50 AMP service and I don't think you can off the genset.

HornedToad

This question has perplexed me from day one. What I have been able to assume from what others have posted...

Theoretically speaking you could run 3 ACs off 50 AMP shore power. If you have 50 AMP service to both sides of a split panel that would total 100 AMPs x 120 volts = 12,000 watts or 6000 watts on each side. To round up if a 15K BTU AC pulls 3000 watts to start and 2000 watts to run, you could start and run two ACs on one side of the panel with the third AC on the other.

Practically speaking the panel and AC are wired to protect the 5500 watt generator which can only handle two ACs at a time, so you cannot run three ACs at the same time. Some have suggested ways to re wire but I'm sure it's set up this way for a good reason.

The Cyclones have a switch to select which two ACs you power at any one time. Some SOBs have load management systems that do this automatically, but still only run two ACs at a time, even on shore power. I remember a post where Jim talked about Heartland offering this same type load management system, but I have yet to see one.

I would be interested to read any additional comments or concerns and look for the day when the manufactures offer a true three AC fifth wheel / toy hauler.

danemayer

This question has perplexed me from day one. What I have been able to assume from what others have posted...

Theoretically speaking you could run 3 ACs off 50 AMP shore power. If you have 50 AMP service to both sides of a split panel that would total 100 AMPs x 120 volts = 12,000 watts or 6000 watts on each side. To round up if a 15K BTU AC pulls 3000 watts to start and 2000 watts to run, you could start and run two ACs on one side of the panel with the third AC on the other.

Practically speaking the panel and AC are wired to protect the 5500 watt generator which can only handle two ACs at a time, so you cannot run three ACs at the same time. Some have suggested ways to re wire but I'm sure it's set up this way for a good reason.

The Cyclones have a switch to select which two ACs you power at any one time. Some SOBs have load management systems that do this automatically, but still only run two ACs at a time, even on shore power. I remember a post where Jim talked about Heartland offering this same type load management system, but I have yet to see one.

I would be interested to read any additional comments or concerns and look for the day when the manufactures offer a true three AC fifth wheel / toy hauler.

Landmark 365 supports 3 air conditioners and has a load management / Power Control System that prioritizes some electrical loads ahead of others so that you don't exceed the available power. We have several manuals that describe and explain the Power Control System at this link.

HornedToad

Landmark 365 supports 3 air conditioners and has a load management / Power Control System that prioritizes some electrical loads ahead of others so that you don't exceed the available power. We have several manuals that describe and explain the Power Control System at this link.

By true three AC... I meant running all 3 ACs at the same time.

Will the Landmark 365 Power Control System run all three ACs at the same time on shore power?

And if so, will it be offered in the Toy Hauler line?

avvidclif

By true three AC... I meant running all 3 ACs at the same time.

Will the Landmark 365 Power Control System run all three ACs at the same time on shore power?

And if so, will it be offered in the Toy Hauler line?

From a previous discussion, yes it will run all three at the same time from 50A shore power. Some people have modified their Cyclones to run all 3 at the same time from shore power and it has been reported that with the new HE AC units the generator will support all 3, as long as they are stagger started. I don't know about the generator. There is plenty of current available just have to separate out one of the AC's to the other side of the 50A circuit and not have all 3 on one side. It's on my to-do list but not at the top. I'm sure when summer gets here it will move up.

Bob&Patty

Alex, "why did I say this"? Mainly because this has been dicussed many times on the forum. If I'm wrong....tell me how.

HornedToad

From a previous discussion, yes it will run all three at the same time from 50A shore power...

Well then, sign me up for a Landmark 365 Toy Hauler with 3 ACs... I've read where a garage on the Landmark is being considered.

Back to the OP... In my first TH the bedroom was pre wired to add an AC. Chris, you can check this out by dropping the interior vent trim piece and look for the yellow romex. You have probably already figured out the problem is not how to hook up this romex to the AC... but how it's wired, in conjunction with the other ACs, to the panel???

avvidclif

Ideally you would split it up with 1 AC, Microwave, kitchen outlets, water heater, and converter on one leg. The other leg would have 2 AC's and misc small current items (TV etc). That would come close to evening the load. Of course if you use a 50-30A adapter and plug into a 30A circuit you have to manage it yourself as everything would be on the 30A circuit. Would the generator power it, don't know. One day I will hook up to 50A at the house and check the current draw with the PI Surge Suppressor as I turn on each AC one at a time. Be interesting to see what it shows. Also show me which leg each one is hooked up to. All without opening up the breaker box and looking around.

Bob&Patty

Alex, unless the "new" HL TH'ers are wired different. You could only run 2 A/C's at a time with the round red switch that was installed at the plant. Someone has rewired their CY to run all 3 at the sametime. Use the search box at the top of the portal page and you might find the thread.

jbeletti

If the OP adds a 3rd AC to his unit and has it wired correctly he can run all three

3 ACs should be able to "run" at the same time on a 50 amp circuit, so long as the 2 that are on the same leg of power have little else running on that leg at the same time.

2 ACs cannot be "started" at the same time on the same leg as the in-rush current is too high at compressor startup, as I understand it.

Alex, unless the "new" HL TH'ers are wired different. You could only run 2 A/C's at a time with the round red switch that was installed at the plant. Someone has rewired their CY to run all 3 at the sametime. Use the search box at the top of the portal page and you might find the thread.

Cranky, If the OP ADDS a 3rd AC to his unit and HAS it wired correctly he CAN run all three. I understand the limit that heartland has on some of there units. As the LM365's and lots of other RV manufactures run 3 ac's on 50amp service.