4 year old Goodyear G614 failed - Goodyear paid for damages

danemayer

About a month ago one of our Goodyear G614 tires threw off it's tread somewhere south of Lubbock, TX. The TPMS didn't alert me but I did notice that one tire was reading 10 psi lower than the others. Knowing they were all the same when we left Lubbock, I thought maybe it was leaking air so I kept an eye on the TPMS display. The pressure picked up a few psi over the next 30 minutes.

We stopped for lunch at a Flying J on I-20 in Tye and noticed the rear doorside tire had lost its tread and the j-wrap and fender were damaged. In retrospect I realized we had been driving on the steel belts for maybe 100 miles. No blowout.

I put the spare on and continued on a relatively short distance to our planned stop in Eastland. Good Sam Roadside Assistance arranged for delivery and installation of a new G614 at the campground: $552 installed.

Back in Bullard, we got an estimate on repairing the body damage - $2773.

Goodyear cut a check 2 weeks ago to reimburse the cost of replacing the tire and fixing the body damage. They've also agreed to reimburse actual hotel expenses while the body work and painting is being done. By the time it's all done, they'll pay out around $4,000.

They're paying even though the tire had been on the trailer for 4 years and 1 month and had about 37,000 miles.

All this to say that when you're tire shopping and are balking at the higher price of Goodyear G614s compared to other LR G tires, you might keep this story in mind.

2014-10-03 13.06.06 resize.jpg2014-10-03 13.06.15 resize.jpg

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Dan, great story. Thank you. Makes me feel better about upgrading to the G614. Worth the money in "peace of mind"

Jamie

pday1213

I see that Heartland is putting Sailun S637 in the LT235/85-16 G load range tires on the BigHorn & BigCountry when we were out at the factory at end of September. Do you know what the warranty coverage would be for the Sailun tires and damage expense coverages?

jnbhobe

Dan I had the same thing happen to me a few years ago in Delaware and Good Year did the same for us.

danemayer

I see that Heartland is putting Sailun S637 in the LT235/85-16 G load range tires on the BigHorn & BigCountry when we were out at the factory at end of September. Do you know what the warranty coverage would be for the Sailun tires and damage expense coverages?
I should note that Goodyear's warranty doesn't promise to pay full cost to replace a tire nor does it promise to pay for repairs. It's just what they do.

I don't know what Sailun's warranty says, but it's probably more a question of how they would handle a claim, not what their warranty says. The good news is that I don't think we've had any posts about failed Sailun tires.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
We had the same experience....that's why we stuck with GY when upgrading to 17.5 tires.

pegmikef

Great Dan! Now I am really pleased that you and others on this forum had convinced me to order the 614s when I ordered my BH!

RoadJunkie

I have the GYs and imagine they include the great customer service in their high pricing, an unclear insurance policy, if you will. Sailun , at a much lower price, may not be so generous

GOTTOYS

They MIGHT warranty the tire somehow, but don't expect to be reimbursed for any damages. I don't know of anyone but Goodyear that will do this...Don

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
They MIGHT warranty the tire somehow, but don't expect to be reimbursed for any damages. I don't know of anyone but Goodyear that will do this...Don

I wonder how Firestone will cover a blowout?

I'm looking at them as Goodyear doesn't make a 15" LT tire for use on my Trail Runner . . .

danemayer

I wonder how Firestone will cover a blowout?

. .

My experience with Firestone tires was on a minivan about 15 years ago. According to the Toyota dealer, the tread was separating on one front tire causing a shimmy in the steering. The Firestone dealer denied the problem without even looking at the tire. When I asked hypothetically what the warranty coverage would be if he were to find the tire to be defective, he explained they would pro-rate based on tread measurements and discount that percentage if I paid list price for a new tire. That would have made the warranty replacement tire more expensive than their regular "sale" price.

Needless to say, since then I have never darkened the door of Firestone.

And of course, every few years I see an undercover camera news story showing Firestone service shops ripping people off on car repairs. Firestone corporate always promises to clean up the problem, but a few years later, they get caught again.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We have had the same thing happen on our previous Landmark twice. Goodyear paid for the tire and damages both times. Kuddos to GoodYear.
We now run with the 17.5 GoodYear G114s.

Bobby A

About a month ago one of our Goodyear G614 tires threw off it's tread somewhere south of Lubbock, TX. The TPMS didn't alert me but I did notice that one tire was reading 10 psi lower than the others. Knowing they were all the same when we left Lubbock, I thought maybe it was leaking air so I kept an eye on the TPMS display. The pressure picked up a few psi over the next 30 minutes.

We stopped for lunch at a Flying J on I-20 in Tye and noticed the rear doorside tire had lost its tread and the j-wrap and fender were damaged. In retrospect I realized we had been driving on the steel belts for maybe 100 miles. No blowout.

I put the spare on and continued on a relatively short distance to our planned stop in Eastland. Good Sam Roadside Assistance arranged for delivery and installation of a new G614 at the campground: $552 installed.

Back in Bullard, we got an estimate on repairing the body damage - $2773.

Goodyear cut a check 2 weeks ago to reimburse the cost of replacing the tire and fixing the body damage. They've also agreed to reimburse actual hotel expenses while the body work and painting is being done. By the time it's all done, they'll pay out around $4,000.

They're paying even though the tire had been on the trailer for 4 years and 1 month and had about 37,000 miles.

All this to say that when you're tire shopping and are balking at the higher price of Goodyear G614s compared to other LR G tires, you might keep this story in mind.

View attachment 32785View attachment 32786

Hi Dan,
Just wondering if you could share your process and any contact info including phone numbers just in case this may happen to one of us. My G614's are about 4 years old, it sure would be helpful to have that info in case it happens. Glad your out come was as good as it was. Thanks in advance.
Bobby A

danemayer

Hi Dan,
Just wondering if you could share your process and any contact info including phone numbers just in case this may happen to one of us. My G614's are about 4 years old, it sure would be helpful to have that info in case it happens. Glad your out come was as good as it was. Thanks in advance.
Bobby A

Call 800-322-4682 (Goodyear Property Damage Claims) - they'll take some information and email a claim form to fill out. You'll need the failed tire for return either via pickup from you, or drop off at a Goodyear dealer. For RV damage claims, one repair estimate is needed. I submitted that estimate along with a receipt for the replacement tire/installation. On the claim, I also requested coverage for the estimated hotel charges during trailer repair. They said they would pay that based on a receipt for actual charges.

dave10a

I plan on buying new tires in the Spring because the treads are near the wear mark and many tire manufacturers recommend 4 year replacement because of rubber oxidation. I do a lot of traveling and I will buy the axle up grade to 8K and independent suspension with disk breaks for my next trailer. I think the stock trailers are at the margins for axles and tires. Many blame the tire manufacturer for the tire blow outs and tire failures. but I think the main fault lies with the stock suspension the trailer manufactures select in the first place. People seem to spend a lot of time selecting the truck suspension and little time selecting the trailer suspension which IS the area of most concern IMHO.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I guess the only 15" Goodyear tires that I can use is the Marathons, although I've read here that they are not any better than the BlowMax tires.

How does Goodyear back up the Marathon tires?

The same as the G114's and G614's?

Bobby A

Call 800-322-4682 (Goodyear Property Damage Claims) - they'll take some information and email a claim form to fill out. You'll need the failed tire for return either via pickup from you, or drop off at a Goodyear dealer. For RV damage claims, one repair estimate is needed. I submitted that estimate along with a receipt for the replacement tire/installation. On the claim, I also requested coverage for the estimated hotel charges during trailer repair. They said they would pay that based on a receipt for actual charges.

Thanks Dan,
Now that's darn good information to have, thanks for sharing. Safe travels to ya !!

chiefneon

Howdy!

Been there done that. We've had several claims with Goodyear and they have always paid, last one was over $8,000.00. I had a Michelin tire with tread seperation and damaged our TV. Michelin would not even consider a claim. I will contuine to purchase Goodyear because they sand behind their tires.

"HappyTrails"
Chiefneon