4 year old Goodyear G614 failed - Goodyear paid for damages

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
We had the same good result with Goodyear when the tread came off one of our G614 tires about 5 years ago. The G614's were original equipment on our 2005 Landmark Mt. Rushmore. The tire was 7 years old and Goodyear replaced the tire and repaired the damage to our Landmark without any hassel.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I guess the only 15" Goodyear tires that I can use is the Marathons, although I've read here that they are not any better than the BlowMax tires.

How does Goodyear back up the Marathon tires?

The same as the G114's and G614's?

Anyone had any dealings with the Marathon's?

danemayer

John,

Maybe someone who's actually tried to get compensation for a Marathon tire will show up and comment.

I don't remember any recent comments in the last 2 or 3 years reporting first hand Marathon experience. Everything that comes to mind on Marathons seems to be old news, or a story about someone else's experience, and I don't remember any posts about submitting claims on Marathons.

The Marathon is listed along with the G614 and 2 other tires in Goodyear's RV brochure. So that might suggest equivalent treatment. But the written warranty for all of them has this exclusion: "Loss of time, inconvenience, loss of use of vehicle, incidental or consequential damage." So they could have a different policy for different tires.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
John,

Maybe someone who's actually tried to get compensation for a Marathon tire will show up and comment.

I don't remember any recent comments in the last 2 or 3 years reporting first hand Marathon experience. Everything that comes to mind on Marathons seems to be old news, or a story about someone else's experience, and I don't remember any posts about submitting claims on Marathons.

The Marathon is listed along with the G614 and 2 other tires in Goodyear's RV brochure. So that might suggest equivalent treatment. But the written warranty for all of them has this exclusion: "Loss of time, inconvenience, loss of use of vehicle, incidental or consequential damage." So they could have a different policy for different tires.

Thanks!

I have heard from others that the Marathons are basically BlowMax equivalents, so I am not planning on getting them.

But I was just wondering if anyone has ever had to deal with Goodyear after having blowouts with them.

When I was getting tires on my car last summer I looked at trailer tires, and the Marathon's were all they had in stock.

I still think that I will get the Firestone Transforce HT LT tires for the trailer.

That is what is on my new truck, and so far I love them!

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
But does Goodyear back them up with replacement and repair compensation like they do the 114's and 614's?
There might be more than one reason why there is a $200 price difference.

Peace
Dave

wdk450

My experience with Firestone tires was on a minivan about 15 years ago. According to the Toyota dealer, the tread was separating on one front tire causing a shimmy in the steering. The Firestone dealer denied the problem without even looking at the tire. When I asked hypothetically what the warranty coverage would be if he were to find the tire to be defective, he explained they would pro-rate based on tread measurements and discount that percentage if I paid list price for a new tire. That would have made the warranty replacement tire more expensive than their regular "sale" price.

Needless to say, since then I have never darkened the door of Firestone.

And of course, every few years I see an undercover camera news story showing Firestone service shops ripping people off on car repairs. Firestone corporate always promises to clean up the problem, but a few years later, they get caught again.

I had some minor work done at a Firestone store (mainly because I had a large unused line of credit with them) in June. My serpentine belt idler bearing was squealing. They went to Auto Zone for the part, and tried to charge me $250 for it. I got out my computer, got on the Auto Zone website, and saw that the part was priced at $100 there. It also took all 4 of their mechanics and 4 hours to figure out how to route my serpentine belt back on again.

Recently I used them again, as my front tires were shaking so violently that I didn't want to drive the truck at freeway speeds. They did find that a 2 year old tire I had (from an out-of-area tire dealer) was defective and had a bump in it. The bad news is I just noticed that my chrome trim ring from one of those front tires is missing, and I am 90 miles away from that Firestone store. I am going back to that area in a couple of weeks, but don't expect them to own up to the missing wheel ring.

Cjackg

John,

A number of years ago I acquired a used SOB Fiver that had Goodyear Marathon tires. The day we were leaving on our FL to Alaska trip we had a blowout on I75 with one of the Marathons, and about $2500. damage to the Trailer. When I went to a Goodyear dealer, they replaced all 5 of the Marathons with a newer version and assured me the trailer damage would all be covered. We did the entire AK trip on the new Marathons without further incident and they did cover the damage.

The small Toyhauler I sold earlier this year had Marathons and we probably put close to 18,000 miles on them without any problems.

wkcox

I am about to leave on our first long camping trip since purchasing 6 new Goodyear G614's for my RW415. This thread gives me great reassurance about the decision to purchase. And, thanks for sharing the telephone number. Although a member of the "Blowmax Club", I am glad I won't be participating in any of their events anymore!

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
Dan, same thing happened here also. They paid for tire and damage. Hard to think about going to another brand with customer service like that!

Sandpirate69

That's one of the reason's I upgraded to the G114s . I've had good results from Goodyear over the past. And yes, I am one of the blowout, with extensive damage, members on this forum