4200 report

jtbara

Lots of helpful info here! Just returned from first trip in new 4200. Frinds were to meet us with there motor home. Broke down! Had them come stay with us. 8 adults for 4 days on Tx coast. Unit handled it very well, never felt short on space. Very happy with 4200 so far.
Did have few things that i read in forum.
Drug spare off at stop we have made with 2 other rv's.
Side patio has some flex, normal??
All season plastic inch short from covering, on all panels.
Supports on bottom bunk (bench) inch & half short?
All in all great trip. Pulled great (2014 3500 ram SRW, air bags) truck is a beast!

Thanks, Jack

jimtoo

Hi Jack,

Welcome to the posting side of the Heartland Owners Forum. Glad you had a pretty decent trip even thou you had some unexpected company, but it's great to be able to accommodate friends when needed. You will always remember this as a special weekend.

Hopefully some of our other members with the same unit will jump in with their thoughts on the questions you have about the patio. On the supports on the bottom bunk, call Heartland Customer Service, 574-262-8030 or 877-262-8032 and have your VIN handy.. there have been some sent out with the wrong legs I understand from other members posting.

Jim M

BLHFUN

Lots of helpful info here! Just returned from first trip in new 4200. Frinds were to meet us with there motor home. Broke down! Had them come stay with us. 8 adults for 4 days on Tx coast. Unit handled it very well, never felt short on space. Very happy with 4200 so far.
Did have few things that i read in forum.
Drug spare off at stop we have made with 2 other rv's.
Side patio has some flex, normal??
All season plastic inch short from covering, on all panels.
Supports on bottom bunk (bench) inch & half short?
All in all great trip. Pulled great (2014 3500 ram SRW, air bags) truck is a beast!

Thanks, Jack

Flex. A little normal as long as it's not separating. It has three components under the black seal. Pay attention to the flex separating the component inside. If it bubbles or separates, call heartland.

Support on the back bench has two different size legs. Yours, like mine was apparently never check before leaving the factory. Call heartland and the will send you the correct size. Mine where 1 3/4 inches too short. Few screws, easy fix.

I hadn't heard of the spare issue, or the all seasons wall. Glad you had great first trip!

kirkules

Hello Im new to the Heartland forum .
I just purchased a 2015 HD 4200 .
Could you help me out . I have a 250 super duty 08 6.4 .
I see you have a f350 ..does your truck have any trouble pulling your rig ???
Everyone tells me my 250 won`t do it and it seems fine pulling .
Also Im In Canada and we have DOT issues at weigh stations with f350s Is it the same in the states ??
Im booked for north of Yuma for Dec 1 .
Im tired of hearing every horror story and you should have bought a dodge .
I hope you find time to answer some of my questions .
Thanks Kirk

BLHFUN

Hello Im new to the Heartland forum .
I just purchased a 2015 HD 4200 .
Could you help me out . I have a 250 super duty 08 6.4 .
I see you have a f350 ..does your truck have any trouble pulling your rig ???
Everyone tells me my 250 won`t do it and it seems fine pulling .
Also Im In Canada and we have DOT issues at weigh stations with f350s Is it the same in the states ??
Im booked for north of Yuma for Dec 1 .
Im tired of hearing every horror story and you should have bought a dodge .
I hope you find time to answer some of my questions .
Thanks Kirk

Hey kirk! 08 F250 6.4 can vary from 15,200 to 16,200 depending on gears and cab. You are over your weight limit before you add a single item or ounce of fuel to the truck and trailer. My truck is rated for 14k and 23,500 5vr weight limit. 30500 GCWR. Bone dry I was almost 26,800 Add gear, 90 gallons of fuel, Harley, golf cart, 100 gallons of water, fuel in the TH, passengers etc, etc... I maxing out my 350 DRW at just over 30k.

Your 4200 ( depending on option) is probably around 16k ( mine was 16,328). Your yellow sticker is on the main door frame on the right side. Check that weight and then go buy that dodge. Sorry, these 4200's are beast! You can google 08 F250's towing capacity and double check the numbers. It may be pulling it fine, but the danger and potential fines or lawsuits for being over your limit is not worth it. It's not whether you can pull it, but rather can you do it safely?

we only have F350 weigh station issues if are running a CDL license and required to stop. With the F350, you should be within the limits anyway.

Sorry! I'm sure a few others will Also comment on the weights. But I believe your truck is not the right fit for the 4200

wish I would have bought The 450. If I didn't think it would interrupt my 23 year marriage, I would probably trade up. :)

Last edited:

jeffdee

I have a 2010 F250 Super Duty Lariat. I am confident that it can easily tow a 4200....but I won't. I trust the vehicle manufacturers are proposing accurate towing capacities for their products after conducting extensive testing. As truck owners, we have the responsibility to adhere to those towing capacity recommendations. In my opinion, the 4200 should be towed by a 350 or 3500 series truck with dual rear wheels. I have looked at a 4200 and they are beautiful. I wouldn't want to jeopardize that investment with an overloaded, single rear wheel towing vehicle.

By the way, towing a 4200 with an F450 would be the best combination. However, considering the purchase price of the vehicle, the fuel consumption/cost may be equally as high. Also, I prefer the 3.73 ratio to the 4.30 rear gears for flat land towing.

BLHFUN

By the way, towing a 4200 with an F450 would be the best combination. However, considering the purchase price of the vehicle, the fuel consumption/cost may be equally as high. Also, I prefer the 3.73 ratio to the 4.30 rear gears for flat land towing.[/QUOTE]

Totally agree. 4.30 rear end is hard to swallow for standard trips and so is the price. But probably the best fit.

scottyb

4.30's would be great if you were only using the truck for towing. I occasionally drive our F550 flatbed, and when I get on SH 130 with the 80 MPH speed limit, it really sounds wrapped to me. It is a beast for towing our 26K gooseneck trailer, but I wouldn't want it for an every day driver. I have had my 4100 in the mountains and the F350 with the 3.73's does very well. I know the 4200 is a little heavier but I don't think it would make much difference. I am probably loaded as heavy as most people will be with a 4200.