50amp male with a 30amp female & 20amp female pigtails !

torque1911

I am @ a place that has 50amp only & my TT is 30 so I'm plugged in using the dogbone !
Question is there is 20 amps not being used ! Is it possible to make a pigtail (Y) with a 30&20 coming from the 50 male ?
Does anybody make one ! Would like to plug in outdoor stuff without throwing breakers !

jimtoo

I think most of the outlets that are setup that way has the 20 on a GFI and they will not work when used with a pigtail or Y. You might run the outside stuff with a separate HD extension cord.
I bought one of the 30 + 20 converters a long time ago.. and have only found maybe 2 places it worked... don't even try it any more.

Jim.Allison

I dont know about the dog bone availability, but if you inputted fifty amps to your breaker panel your main breaker would prevent a draw of more than thirty amps anyway. Your own main breaker would act as the protection for the circuit. So it really would not theoretically matter that fifty amps were available to the panel in your rig only 30 amps could ever be drawn before your breaker was thrown. However, it is best that the pedestal current closely match your rig in that you would have 50 amps avail up to your trailer panel, IF there were an inadvertent short in your main feed between your pedestal and your panel that segment would not be protected and a fire could result. But after your panel your main breakers would still trip based on your main breaker amperage. IMHO.

I am @ a place that has 50amp only & my TT is 30 so I'm plugged in using the dogbone !
Question is there is 20 amps not being used ! Is it possible to make a pigtail (Y) with a 30&20 coming from the 50 male ?
Does anybody make one ! Would like to plug in outdoor stuff without throwing breakers !

branson4020

Icantre Member
Y adapters that split out the two legs of the 50A service through separate outlets are widely available. They are perfectly safe. Here is a ridiculously overpriced one an Amazon that has two 30A connectors.

pegmikef

98 percent of the places I stay with electricity have a 20 amp GFI outlet as Jim said. I always carry a fifty foot 12 gauge extension to use the outlet for stuff outside like the electric skillet and lights etc. That way there is no additional draw on the rig so no risk of popping breakers or worse.

torque1911

Well I found one made by conntek #14963 but it's pricey !
I would just like to plug in golf cart, outdoor fridge or whatever without interfering with the ac & this adapter is the ticket !

campers2

I have been told that with 50a svc, the two 50 a feeds are out of phase. The dog bone Y will not work unless the 2 feeds to the dog bone are out of phase. Most are not.
I have one but have never found a pedestal that would work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

branson4020

Icantre Member
All 50A RV service is split-phase. The two 50A legs are 180 degrees out of phase. However, none of that matters for the OP's application. He is treating each leg as an independent 120V source.

Jim.Allison

I hear this is not necessarily true. They are not necessarily in or out of phase, but it matters not to your rig. IT might matter to a dog bone though.

I have been told that with 50a svc, the two 50 a feeds are out of phase. The dog bone Y will not work unless the 2 feeds to the dog bone are out of phase. Most are not.

torque1911

98 percent of the places I stay with electricity have a 20 amp GFI outlet as Jim said. I always carry a fifty foot 12 gauge extension to use the outlet for stuff outside like the electric skillet and lights etc. That way there is no additional draw on the rig so no risk of popping breakers or worse.

Well I guess I am @ the 2% !
Last place I was @ had all 3 !

torque1911

Maybe you should send it to me so I can try it 😉