5th Air Borne Pin Box Question

57chevyconvt

Recently purchase a 5th AIRBORNE pin box. Today is the first opportunity that I have has to hitch the BH to the Reese Signature hitch, in so doing I discovered that it takes a lot of air pressure to inflate the Air Spring, ~ 100 psi so the king pin hitch plate is level when the weight of the trailer is applied. My question is; do I have to gradually deflate the Air Spring in order to keep the hitch pin plate level when disconnecting from the Reese hitch? On the flip side of that question, do I need to gradually inflate the Air Spring as weight is applied?

We are preparing to take a long trip (Alaska) starting next week and I had not planned to take the small pancake air compressor due to weight concerns. If the 5th AIRBORNE pin box requires inflation and deflation each time the BH is hitched or unhitched then a portable air compressor would be a requirement.

Would appreciate any HELP in resolving this/these questions.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Jim, We have the Trail Air but the situation is similar. I do carry a compressor with us but for more than just the Trail Air. I think it's almost a necessity for other situations as well as being a part of my "Tools". The air pins vary slightly with pin weight but are more affected by sunlight and ambient temperature. That said, I don't try to constantly add or relieve air to maintain a level ride height. I don't think a little variance will matter. I also don't change the pressure in the hitch when hooking or unhooking. I just raise the trailer as needed to hitch up or disconnect. It will go back to level as soon as you raise the landing gear.
Have a safe and fun trip to Alaska.

truknutt

Committed Member
In my case I have found that it's easier to inflate the airbag to it's maximum recommended pressure (80-100 psi), hook up, then deflate to your desired psi. Don't look at the painted/decaled line on the side as this is only for your reference after you establish your required psi.

With the changing pin weight of our Cyclone (we haul different weights in the garage which affect the pin weight) we are always fine tuning the bag's psi; you shouldn't have to. I don't deflate to un-hook; just find your sweet-spot psi and you should be fine. Since your hitch is new and you haven't had time to dial her in, I would recommend an air compressor for your Alaska trip.

donr827

When I had a 5th Air Borne on my previous trailer I found a psi that allowed me to tow comfortably. Before hitching up I checked the air pressure of the bag and added or subtracted air as needed. Never needed to change air pressure to unhook. As others have said do carry an air compressor.
Don

57chevyconvt

Thanks guys, with your help I was able to understand how the 5th Airborne 'air spring' works. This why I appreciate the assistance of all the folks on this forum, this is a great way to get help from those that have 'been there and done that'!

Thanks again, Jim