5th airborne or mor/ryde

Jasonrs1319

I will be taking delivery of my new cyclone 3110 towards the end of February and one of the changes I'm considering making is a Pin box upgrade. I have researched a little and like both the mor/Ryde and the 5th airborne. It it's also important for me to be able to adapt the pin box cover from the standard one to the new one. I'm looking for the good and the bad of each. My tow vehicle is a 2013 f350 srw short bed with the oem b&w 20k companion hitch.

scottyb

I had the 5th Airborne installed before delivery, so I can't speak for any other. Upon my insistance, they tried to mount the cowling back, but it is pretty sketch. It really obscures the shrader valve and makes it difficult to check the pressure and/or add air. I banged it somehow and now it is tweaked a little. I am going to remove it altogether before my next trip. Most of the air ride pin boxes you see around don't have a cowling on them. Other than that, I have been very pleased with the 5th Airborne.

ATLJOHN

I have the mor ryde on my BH 3670 with air bags on my 2006 3500 silverado and very happy with this configuration. I used the stock pin box for the first 3 years I owned the rv. But since I changed the pin box my wife has stopped yelling about all the bucking when
reading her kindle

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dbbls59

I think the two pin boxes you mentioned do different things. The Airborne dampens the up and down movement, the mor/ryde addressed the back and forth chucking. I would tow the unit first before changing the pin box. Load it up like you will be using it and see how it handles. I found the standard pin box does fine with my setup.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I replaced the OEM pin with the 5th Airborne and like it (no experience with the MorRyde). Modifying the pinbox cowling is very simple. The air chuck is easily accessed. I cut a rectangular notch, about 2" deep in the front opening, where it goes around the pinbox mount and drilled/tapped two holes in the front metal of the 5AB to accept the screws you see in the second photo.

Unless I'm mistaken, I don't think you can modify it to fit the MorRyde, though.

View attachment 28234View attachment 28235

pegmikef

I ordered the Moryde so it was factory installed, but there is no cover. I think it looks good. This is my first fiver so I have nothing to compare the hitch to. I had read and been told about "chucking" and bouncing, but I have had none of that. The ride is even better than it was when I had an F250 and a TT with an equalizer hitch. I also have airbags so maybe that affects the ride as well.

Jasonrs1319

JohnDar:344689 said:
I replaced the OEM pin with the 5th Airborne and like it (no experience with the MorRyde). Modifying the pinbox cowling is very simple. The air chuck is easily accessed. I cut a rectangular notch, about 2" deep in the front opening, where it goes around the pinbox mount and drilled/tapped two holes in the front metal of the 5AB to accept the screws you see in the second photo.

Unless I'm mistaken, I don't think you can modify it to fit the MorRyde, though.

View attachment 28234View attachment 28235

Your mod looks great. Couldn't tell it isn't factory. Good to know it can be done.

porthole

Retired
The MOR/ryde pin box is a bit wider then any of the other models, maybe 2' or so.
So the cover is a real work up to get it to fit.

I have the MOR/ryde and I have a cover in the basement, since I ordered the trailer with it.
Don't miss it since I never had it on.

bsummit

Arkansas Chapter Leader-Retired
I have the 5th airborne and am really satisfied with it. dbbls59, the 5th AB does stop 80-90% of the back and forth chucking plus the up and down movement. The 5th AB is a little more expensive than the mor/ride, but it is worth the price if you don't have air bags on your Tow vehicle.

gebills

Initially, my thoughts were to favor the 5th Airborne over the Moryde, but when I ordered from the factory, my only option was for the Moryde other than doing a special install by the dealer. We got the Moryde installed, and have not looked back (no pun intended). DW gets frequent migraines from anything (particularly movement) and we have had no issues. She can set in passenger seat and read her books with no problems. Can't speak to the Airborne, but the Moryde provides a good comfortable ride. Yes, I have air bags on TV. Good luck with your decision.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
We have had the Mor/Ryde for 6 years. It has served us well. No chucking and a smooth ride. On some roads...I dont care what you have....you will feel the trailer behind you. I did put airbags on this truck and it seemed to help some with the suspension not bottoming out on bad dips in the road. If you go with the Mor/Ryde.....make sure you tell them what the gross weight rating is when you order it....not the empty weight. "Tweetys" in Texas has the best prices and free shipping.

hriker

When I purchased my rig I had the B&W turnball hitch installed. I also looked at having a 5th airborne pin box installed. In doing some research I found that the 5th airborne was not recommended with the B&W hitch. I just looked on the e trailer website and there is still an issue it appears. At a later date I had the mor/Ryde installed and find it does a great job alleviating the chocking. I would recommend doing a little research on the 5th airborne and your B&W hitch before you decide.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Jasonrs1319

hriker:344813 said:
When I purchased my rig I had the B&W turnball hitch installed. I also looked at having a 5th airborne pin box installed. In doing some research I found that the 5th airborne was not recommended with the B&W hitch. I just looked on the e trailer website and there is still an issue it appears. At a later date I had the mor/Ryde installed and find it does a great job alleviating the chocking. I would recommend doing a little research on the 5th airborne and your B&W hitch before you decide.

I did see that but I thought that was specific to the sidewinder. It seems to be fairly confusing. Good advice i will do more research. I also plan to do a fair bit of driving with the standard pin box attached to get a good baseline to verify a need to replace. Thank you!

hriker

You could contact B&W customer support about the issue. I understand that they have extremely good support. Towing with your standard pin box for a while is a good idea. We did so and are able to see a big difference now. Good luck!!

driver311

well folks i pull trailers with all kinds of pin boxes . the tri glide addresses both the for and aft and up and down, it is far superior to the rest.

air bags are for leveling the truck, not so much for ride. although they do help the ride.

i have a new dodge 2500 , 2014. the coil springs were a great improvement in empty ride over the leafs,but loaded not so good. as of now there is a air bag kit as an add on. so to solve this problem i took my truck to iowa to kelterman and they installed total air ride. it rides better than a 1500 loaded and empty. they used my ytruck as a templent so now there is a kit available.

Phil Smith

Retired South Carolina Chapter Leader
We installed the Hensley BD3 air ride hitch as an alternative to the various pin boxes. It made a tremendous ride improvement.

Dave49

I have the 5th Airborne pin box also and it's a very nice unit. But if I had to do it over I would buy an air ride hitch and have the more/ryde on the pin. Reason being that you have both actions taken care of as far as back and forth and up and down. But the real kicker is once you buy the air ride hitch you have it for any trailer from here on out. With the 5th Airborne it is pin specific.

Dave

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
So long as the rig has a Lippert 1621HD pin, the same 5th Airborne will fit it. And most, if not all, of the HL big rigs use that same 1621HD pin.