5th Airborne pin box

NYSUPstater

Having a 5th AB on our current coach, would like to get one for our new BC before we pick it up. Has anyone installed one on a BC? Mor Ryde if offered as a factory option, but seems that other aftermarkets boxes should work as well (personal preference).

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
You could move your hitch over from your current coach to new one as part of the deal. That's what we did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NYSUPstater

TT & Bones, I don't think current one will work as it's rated for less weight (could be wrong). It's on a Lippert frame, just don't recall which frame model. Are they all they same (1621)? Also don't know if an extended pin box is used on the BH,BC, LM's. Would have to look at 5th's web site again, but want to say they have a different 5th AB for diff wt ratings (basically 2 diff pin boxes). Dealer supposed to inquire on frame model used.

dlw930

I'd call Reese, who now makes 5th Airborne, and ask what model replaces your current pin box model. If you don't know your Lippert model, Heartland Customer Support can tell you. I know folks who have a 5th Airborne on BC's. I have one on my Landmark.

Bones

My Sidewinder came off of my gateway. I don't think they would use a different pin box unless the BC is significantly heavier.

TravelTiger

Our Airborne was purchased in 2011 for our ElkRidge based on the pin being a 1621. We moved it to the Big Country, also a 1621. Our 5th Airborne pinbox is rated at 21K.

NYSUPstater

I did call Reese and inquired about the 5th AB and was told that they have 4 diff ones that will work on Lippert's, just need the frame/pinbox model. Plus wether or not it's and extended pinbox. Yes I could take existing one off if it would fit, but would like not to have to fuss with it and take to dealer upon p/u of new coach and have them fiddle with it while there. Rather have it already on coach, so all they have to do is make final adjustments. Just need frame model. Will have dealer look into it.

TravelTiger

I did call Reese and inquired about the 5th AB and was told that they have 4 diff ones that will work on Lippert's, just need the frame/pinbox model. Plus wether or not it's and extended pinbox. Yes I could take existing one off if it would fit, but would like not to have to fuss with it and take to dealer upon p/u of new coach and have them fiddle with it while there. Rather have it already on coach, so all they have to do is make final adjustments. Just need frame model. Will have dealer look into it.

Ah, so you aren't trading the old in on the new? It would be fairly easy while they are side by side for dealer to swap. Took them about 30 min to do ours, but they had to take both rigs offsite to do it due to strange company policy.

NYSUPstater

TT, A buddy has said he would buy our current coach tho he doesn't have a TV for it. Have no idea really if he plans on putting it on his property and leave it there all summer and go back/forth or not. Plan is that I will bring it to his in laws place for now and then move it later (property?), Thought did cross my mind about taking the 5th off and do the switcheroo, but just don't want to deal w/ the headache of doing it, plus not having the right tools. Bought the 5th several years ago and figure start off new w/ everything despite the extra cost incurred.

TravelTiger

TT, A buddy has said he would buy our current coach tho he doesn't have a TV for it. Have no idea really if he plans on putting it on his property and leave it there all summer and go back/forth or not. Plan is that I will bring it to his in laws place for now and then move it later (property?), Thought did cross my mind about taking the 5th off and do the switcheroo, but just don't want to deal w/ the headache of doing it, plus not having the right tools. Bought the 5th several years ago and figure start off new w/ everything despite the extra cost incurred.

Ah! Ok. Yep, just start fresh. Can't go wrong with a new setup.