5th gear in the f-350

ericandalice

Senior Question Asker
I noticed that the new truck seems to shutter (best I can describe it) just as it switched up to 5th gear. Is this normal for a diesel? It's not so abrupt that it scares me, but it's just not as smooth as the other transitions. Perhaps it's the way I'm driving it. Who knows.

Thanks.

~Alice

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I wouldn't consider it "normal", if you can feel a noticeable shutter. Try accelerating at a few different speed levels and see if it does it across all ranges. I do think these beasts like to be worked though. Mine seems to run smoother while under a load.

mmomega

AnyTimer
It could be the new transmission is still learning your driving habits. If after a few days of city and highway driving it still does it and it is very noticeable each shift I may take it in just to have your tech have a look at it. Mine shifts very smoothly.

Also was this just normal driving or with the trailer?

jwalker1

I also have a 2011 F-350 Dually and it does shudder a little between 4th and 5th gears (without a load). All the other gears are fine. However, I have noticed when it's under a load it's fine.

ericandalice

Senior Question Asker
I also have a 2011 F-350 Dually and it does shudder a little between 4th and 5th gears (without a load). All the other gears are fine. However, I have noticed when it's under a load it's fine.

Well, we have almost the same truck, so... I'm less worried now. :) Mines the SRW 4x4.

Thanks!

TXTiger

I have a 2 month old 2012 F-350 6.7, SRW 4X4 and have no problems shifting into any gear, but I have not towed anything other than my boat yet.

KWire

We don't have a Diesel or a 350, but Ford Explorer 6-spd with about 95,000 miles on it. At about 65,000 it stated stuttering/clunking going between 3rd and 4th. My son informed me that the computer completely controls this so I took it to the dealer and they "had to re-teach the computer" (their words not mine :rolleyes:). They did and it was like night and day...

So I guess what I am trying to say is check with the dealer. They may have a simple fix.

Keith

ericandalice

Senior Question Asker
I have a 2 month old 2012 F-350 6.7, SRW 4X4 and have no problems shifting into any gear, but I have not towed anything other than my boat yet.

This is while I'm not towing anything. Just driving around town. Tonight I thought it might just be that the backend is so much lighter than the front end. Our SUV had that problem a bit, but this truck is about 3000 pounds more.

porthole

Retired
Do you know when you truck was built? There were several "versions" of the 2011 model year SD's, e.g job 1-job 2.

The 2011 trucks had transmission shudder and shifting issues.
This was cleared up for 99% of the people with a simple computer update.
Depending on the age of the truck it may have never had this update performed.

Go back to a dealer with the concern. Only takes a few minutes to perform the update.

You can also expect to possibly feel drive line shudder when moving from a dead stop with the trailer attached.
There are fixes available for that, getting it done is the tough part.

ericandalice

Senior Question Asker
Do you know when you truck was built? There were several "versions" of the 2011 model year SD's, e.g job 1-job 2.

The 2011 trucks had transmission shudder and shifting issues.
This was cleared up for 99% of the people with a simple computer update.
Depending on the age of the truck it may have never had this update performed.

Go back to a dealer with the concern. Only takes a few minutes to perform the update.

You can also expect to possibly feel drive line shudder when moving from a dead stop with the trailer attached.
There are fixes available for that, getting it done is the tough part.

The sticker in the door says 4/2011.

I was thinking it was computer related. I'll take it up to the Ford dealer and get them to check it out. He needs an oil change anyway...or so he tells me every time I turn the key. LOL

~Alice

porthole

Retired
The sticker in the door says 4/2011.

You bought a 1 year old truck? I hope you got it for a good price.

That should be a "Job 2" truck and may not have had the latest update for the transmission. But it should be the current horsepower torque specs, 400/800.

ericandalice

Senior Question Asker
Well, I don't know what you'd consider a good price, but I think we did. They were trying to get it off their lot and DH is such a negotiator. It's still under the original warranty, which we wanted. And it's ridiculously loaded. I have to think someone custom ordered this truck. I don't know why anyone in the south would order the engine block heater or the other "fast" heater. In fact there were several things on the truck that we didn't know about until we got there. They didn't list them on the website. Those things were on my "would love to have" list. :)

porthole

Retired
I don't know why anyone in the south would order the engine block heater or the other "fast" heater.

All the diesels come with a block heater, what you pay extra for in the option area is the cord that plugs into the heater.

As far as the "fast" heater, which is supplemental heat, that may be someone ordering for future resale. It is inexpensive (relatively speaking) to order and very expensive to do post production.

ericandalice

Senior Question Asker
The new truck (who still needs a name if you have suggestions :)) got his computer updated and that seems to have fixed the problem. Rides like a dream now!

Thanks all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD