5th wheel hitch basics...

CPDDet

We will be purchasing a new Sundance 5[SUP]th[/SUP] wheel in the spring. While this is our second camper, its our first 5[SUP]th[/SUP] wheel. I’m currently researching 5[SUP]th[/SUP] wheel hitches that meet the required tow capacity and pin weight of the new unit.

Admitting I know little to nothing about this type of hitch, I went to the etrailer website and found I have a choice of 4 below bed rail hitches. The below bed rail kit is included in the price I listed:
Demco $1111
B&W $1318
DrawTite $1059
Reese $1797

All are double pivot, some are premium single jaw and others are standard double jaw. All meet my tow and pin weight needs.

There is also another brand called Comfort Ride for $1699 but that price does not include the below bed rail kit.

I’m looking for recommendations, advice and comments from those who are more experienced than I.

Dave & Ronna

jnbhobe

What truck are you towing with????? Long or short bed, I am using a Reese Signature now, I have also had Husky and Pull-Rite

CPDDet

2016 Silverado 3500 DRW, 8 foot bed so wont need a slider. Im interested in learning more about the single vs double jaw. Also some of these are made in the USA while others arent, if that makes a difference.

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
Check out the "Anderson Ultimate 2" hitch....It is a gooseball adapter hitch, 32 lbs and I have it on my new 2017 3100CK Sundance. Love the ease of hook up and removing from my short bed Ram by pulling one pin. Specs are 24,000 lb gross and 4500 tongue weight. Made in the USA and has a 5 million dollar insurance policy covering the hitch and your RV for any failure. It may not be for but it is always nice to explore other options.

CPDDet

Ill check out the Anderson. Small world, you have a 3000CK and we will be ordering the new 3100CK!

jnbhobe

I have always had a jaw that wrapped around the pin, most likely always will. Check out Pul-Rite too they are a good hitch as with anything Made In the USA

fritzwell

Also have a Sundance and when I finally settled on a hitch, it was a B&W. Money and the convenience of removing it and using the truck bed. 2014 Ford with the 6'10" bed, haven't had a problem yet.

Gaffer

Check out the "Anderson Ultimate 2" hitch....It is a gooseball adapter hitch, 32 lbs and I have it on my new 2017 3100CK Sundance. Love the ease of hook up and removing from my short bed Ram by pulling one pin. Specs are 24,000 lb gross and 4500 tongue weight. Made in the USA and has a 5 million dollar insurance policy covering the hitch and your RV for any failure. It may not be for but it is always nice to explore other options.

There is a new product similar to the Anderson that I think may be better. The ball mounts to the kingpin and funnels into a ball mount, making aiming easier. I think it may have been on the back cover of the September Trailer Life. There was a QR link to a neat video. Can someone post a link to the video? I no longer have the magazine.

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
B&W is a good solid hitch and you don't need bed rails. They stand behind their product too.

Sent from my PU-36 Explosive Space Modulator.

CPDDet

Thanks to all for your input, advice and experience.

I'm really not concerned about having above bed rails as I'm 66 years old and since our house was recently remodeled I really don't haul much with the truck anymore. Maybe a dozen bags or so of mulch in the spring but that's about it. I purchased the truck for the main purpose of pulling the 5ver and don't use it for work since I'm retired.

I find the Anderson rail mount hitch very interesting. This would be the most economical hitch using universal above bed rails and the hitch itself weighs only 40 pounds. And having the rails I could, if needed, easily switch over to the more traditional 5th wheel hitch.

Still want to research the Anderson a bit further but that's the way I'm leaning.

Gaffer

The Anderson like (but better) is made by Pullrite.

SL_adapter_handle_0.png

Last edited:

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
Here is the link to the Pullrite SuperLite that PJ (Gaffer) was talking about in the previous post. It looks pretty interesting! I might have to consider that.

Rod

CPDDet

Looking into both the Andersen and Pullrite now. Question is the rails.
The Andersen can use any 10 bolt industry standard rails, which is cost effective.
Pullrite looks like their "super rails" may be proprietary and a lot more expensive.
Not sure about this yet.

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
Pullrite claims that theirs works with the standard rails too, however I would elect to spend the extra dough on some sort of puck system so you are able to remove it and have a clean bed with no rails or obstructions in the bed. That is important to me, as I still use my truck as a truck when not towing.

Rod

Looking into both the Andersen and Pullrite now. Question is the rails.
The Andersen can use any 10 bolt industry standard rails, which is cost effective.
Pullrite looks like their "super rails" may be proprietary and a lot more expensive.
Not sure about this yet.

CPDDet

This is from the PPL website:

[FONT=&quot]"....fits most industry standard rails unless there is a bole in the middle of the rail. Call for details."

"bole"???? is this a typo???. Never heard the term before.

Sent an email to PullRite and asked them about above bed rails. Ill post the reply once I get it.

[/FONT]

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
Not sure which Anderson you are looking at that requires a rail system....the newest system "Anderson Ultimate 2" does not use any type of rail system from your truck bed. It is an all inclusive design in a pyramid appearance and drops over the gooseball in the bed of your truck..THe pull right design is basicly the same as the Anderson in principal but the design hook up is opposite of Anderson. Anderson has the ball on the pyramid and Pull right has it on the kingpin adapter plate. Pull Right appears to require the bed rail system as well.

I am sure both are equal in design and construction. I didn't catch that pull right had a 5 million dollar insurance policy on each hitch as Anderson, that may or may not be important to you.
You mentioned in a PM you didn't have a gooseball in your truck bed....easy to install with a nice B&W turn over...