5th Wheel Hitches - Looking for a better ride

dave2348

We have a 2012 2950rk Big Country which we are enjoying very much!!! I have a 16k Curt 5th Wheel Hitch that doesn't clamp totally around ( It just has the bar that goes straight across) that causes some chuking sometimes as we are driving. We want to go out of state and I would like a smoother ride. I have a 2011 Chevy Dually that I pull it with, are there any ideas on better hitches or something that I could do with what I have.

Thanks Dave from California

Dave49

Re: 5th Wheel Hitches

Take a very serious look into the All American Hitch that was developed by Mobil Outfitters. This hitch is technology at its best and maintenece free. The real trick to this is the new air cell as they call it that micro manages the bumps in the road. I'm by no means an expert on these as far as how they work, but I will say they work like a dream, and best of all, its All American Made!!

Dave

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator

Dave from CA, I had that same hitch and you're right, the design leaves some room for movement in the pin area. Because you have a Curt hitch already, you have several options depending on how much you want to spend. For a minimal investment just step up in the Reese Pro or Signature line or Curt also has similar hitches. It all depends on your spending limit. $ or $$$$$ :D

scottyb

I have been very pleased with the two B&W Companions I have had. 1st one was in a 2007+ Chevy. Current one is the OEM replacement for my Ford factory prep. They allow you to remove them and have a clean bed w/o rails, plus have a gooseneck hitch when needed. They also have unique locking jaw system. Too bad you have a 2011 Chevy instead of a 2007 - 2010. I have the flipover ball gooseneck hitch for those years that goes with the Companion, that I would sell cheap.

noobee

Dave from CA, I had that same hitch and you're right, the design leaves some room for movement in the pin area. Because you have a Curt hitch already, you have several options depending on how much you want to spend. For a minimal investment just step up in the Reese Pro or Signature line or Curt also has similar hitches. It all depends on your spending limit. $ or $$$$$ :D

Dave: I have a Signature 18K for sale. I'm in Sundre Alberta. If you are interested PM me.

Garypowell

I have a Curt 20K and had a similar chucking experience and called them. I could not have been more pleased in that a new head showed up the next day. Chucking gone.

Give a call to:

Brad
Curt Manufacturing
bhowell@curtmfg.com
Phone 800-738-7213

He wanted some pictures, etc but as soon as he saw what was going on he changed out my head.

L8APXER

We love our Hensley[SUP]TM[/SUP] BD3 (Up to 18K trailer weight and 3.5K pin weight).DSCF1635.jpg Or if you want something with a little more capacity there is the TS3 ( 20k trailer and 4500 pin).
More info on both here: http://www.trailersaver.com

These incorporate air bags and shocks to absorb bumps in the road. The BD3 breaks down into several pieces for easy removal and installation.
:eek:

Crumgater

I'm not sure the manf. of our hitch - and DH is out with the truck right now, so I can't go check...

But, ours is the same design, where you have a solid bar with a U-shaped cradle for the pin to rest in. We've had chucking issues, too.
There's a bolt on the front of our hitch to tighten the clasp up against the pin - you go all the way tight, then back off ~2 turns, so there's some leeway, but not too much.

We just hitched up today - first of the season - and added four small patches of spongy shelf liner between the hitch and the connector rails in the truck bed - and that seems to have helped quite a bit, actually. We'll see how things go down the road, but I'm hoping the shelf-liner added enough cushion to remove at least one point of metal-on-metal clunking.

Westwind

We have a Trailer Saver BD3 - I switched from a TT with a Hensley Arrow and I was really nervous about switching to a FW and putting up with chucking etc that you read about.
All the thinks I worried about don't exist with the BD3, minimal to no chucking, no clunking, and I can see the air bags working their magic as we go down the road. Very happy with it and would definitely buy it again.

mountainlovers76

Mississippi Chapter Leaders
Their a little pricey but on my dually i put a Trailer Saver TS3, Great ride !!!!!!
chaseb

Ditto that. Just installed the TS3 and pulled my Key Largo home last weekend and what a difference. No bouncing or chucking. Really smooth ride. Pricely yes, but worth it I think in the long run whenb it comes to wear and tear on the coach.

taken

The op has a hitch so not sure why everyone is suggesting another. What you need is a new pinbox. I installed the Trail Air Tri-Glide. We have a new Reese Elite hitch and still had plenty of chucking. Installed the new pinbox and it was gone 100% and gave the trailer a much better ride to boot. Best money we spent on the trailer to date.

wildwolfproducts

The op has a hitch so not sure why everyone is suggesting another. What you need is a new pinbox. I installed the Trail Air Tri-Glide. We have a new Reese Elite hitch and still had plenty of chucking. Installed the new pinbox and it was gone 100% and gave the trailer a much better ride to boot. Best money we spent on the trailer to date.
Need to read the OP post. As he is asking for info on a differen hitch. As he does not like the one he has now.
Pete