5th Wheel Leveling Systems - a discussion

porthole

Retired
Re: 5th Wheel Leveiling systems other than LevelUp

Duane, Does the hydraulic pump that opens and closes the slides also operate the Level Up system? So closing the slide out valves and operating the pump with a drill would retract the Level Up legs? Ken

Ken - same pump - different operation.

The slides are mechanical in the sense that all the switch does is run the pump motor in forward or reverse. The individual slide control comes from manually operating the valves in the hydraulic system. Some of the coaches have a more sophisticated individual room operation from a control panel, which I am not familiar with. But I assume it uses solenoids.

The LevelUp uses the same pump, in forward or reverse as needed. But, the actual legs are controlled by solenoids that are operated by the Lippert control panel.
You push a button on the panel - the computer sends power to the pump, in the correct direction, opens a solenoid that allows oil to flow then opens the individual selector solenoid to move the jack that is needed.

So, if you are asking about emergency procedures with a computer or power failure you would need to operate the pump with a drill and then manually operate/jump the correct solenoid to move the legs. As long as your problem is not a failed solenoid this is really not that hard to do. Figuring out which solenoids need to be activated is the hardest part.

And now seeing it is the Key Largo for you, I seem to recall slide operation is selectable, which I assume is setup very similar to the level Up.

wehavefun

I currently have a Bighorn 3800 BH with front hydraulic legs, I am considering adding a leveling system, I was considering level up because that is a Heartland option, now I am thinking about doing more research. The only problem with research is, the more you read, the more confused you get.

However, I know I can get good sound advice here !

Thanks in advance for the suggestions!

Steadfast

We just took delivery of the four point Rieco Titan Ground Control system to be installed on our 2011 3670 RL BH. With all the praise I have seen on this forum for this system, it was an easy decision. After the purchase, however, I ran across this page on the LCI's website. They now have an electric 6 point system, but the biggest news to me is that they are saying that the four point system is for 35' trailers or less. This would concern me on our 39+' trailer if I didn't already know that it works well on the larger ones.
http://www.lippertcomponents.com/in...2:ground-control&catid=34:products&Itemid=288

danemayer

the biggest news to me is that they are saying that the four point system is for 35' trailers or less. This would concern me on our 39+' trailer if I didn't already know that it works well on the larger ones.

This is typical "Product Positioning." When a company brings out a bigger version of the original product, they need to position it for customers so you don't get confused.

Rob_Fla

The Lippert site says

5th Wheels over 20K GVWR or 35 Feet in Length for the 6 Point system

5th Wheels under 20k GVWR or 35 Feet in Length for the 4 Point system

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member

We just took delivery of the four point Rieco Titan Ground Control system to be installed on our 2011 3670 RL BH. With all the praise I have seen on this forum for this system, it was an easy decision. After the purchase, however, I ran across this page on the LCI's website. They now have an electric 6 point system, but the biggest news to me is that they are saying that the four point system is for 35' trailers or less. This would concern me on our 39+' trailer if I didn't already know that it works well on the larger ones.
http://www.lippertcomponents.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=292%3Aground-control&catid=34%3Aproducts&Itemid=288

My 2009 BH3670 lifts, sits and levels easily on the four Reico-Titan Ground Control jacks, purchased prior to Lippert buying them up. How Lippert's acquisition of them has or will alter the capability is anyone's guess.

Steadfast

My 2009 BH3670 lifts, sits and levels easily on the four Reico-Titan Ground Control jacks, purchased prior to Lippert buying them up. How Lippert's acquisition of them has or will alter the capability is anyone's guess.
The kit that we received appears to be the same old product and the name Lippert doesn't appear anywhere (yet). I hope our experience is as trouble free as yours.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member

The kit that we received appears to be the same old product and the name Lippert doesn't appear anywhere (yet). I hope our experience is as trouble free as yours.

My only problem with the Ground Control jacks was the bolts they supplied and the torques they recommended. Way too high for the ASTM A307 bolts, so after snapping a couple, I replaced ALL of them with Grade 8, yellow zinc dichromated ones and used published torque values for them. The nuts I purchased were Ny-loc ones. I also did not use the self-tappers for the frame, but through-bolted them.

dgilton

We are currently having problems with the lippert self leveling legs. Does anyone have the problem of popping and dropping with their system? We have had it in the shop to be fixed several times but they can't seem to fix it. Any suggestions on how to fix? Or any good replacements comparable to this system?

danemayer

Re: lippert hyd self leveling jacks

Hi dgilton,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. There's a lot of great information here as well as a bunch of friendly people who are willing to help out when you have questions.

There's been some discussion about "popping" but I don't think I've heard about "dropping". If you mean that one of the jacks doesn't stay extended, but retracts by itself, I would think there's a problem with the valve or seal at that location. You should have it checked out by a qualified service tech before something worse happens.

If it's just making popping noises, but is not actually changing the amount of extension, Lippert has been trying to figure out why that happens but so far no answers. You may want to call Lippert and ask them if they have a fix yet.

As a workaround for the noise, some people have had some success putting plastic cutting boards under the landing jacks when on concrete. Walmart carries inexpensive ones. You might also try out blocks or boards under the jacks that are making noise to shorten their extension. I think that the further they are extended, the more likely they'll make noise. Btw, shorter extension will also make the coach more stable.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member

Hello dgilton and welcome to the forum.
When you say self leveling legs, do you mean the Level Up system, or the front hydraulic landing gear.
Some of us do get some popping, bu I have not heard of any system dropping.
You may have a system leak if you are dropping.
Also, I think that most dealers have little to no experience with hydraulics.
I would suggest a call to Lippert.

Peace
Dave

dgilton

We have had our landmark 5th wheel in manteca trailer many times and they have been talking to lippert but still not fixed. The trailer pops and shakes when it pops sometimes like it drops a bit. Thank you for the advise. Our system has the self leveling system, front hyd landing plus the two mid trailer behind the wheels and we have electric back stablizers. May have to go to another system if lippert cant come up with a solution. Does anyone know of another comparable system to replace it with? Thanks

dgilton