5th Wheel Leveling Systems - a discussion

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I have read a lot of threads and posts about leveling systems. On this forum the Levelup system has been the major system, probably because that is the system that Heartland is using.

However I would like to see a discussion about other systems. I have the Bigfoot Quadra Manufacturing system. I do not intend to knock any system but would like to get honest discussion for and against other systems so that a wider understanding is available between the systems.

I have not posted much about the Quadra Bigfoot system because I know the Levelup system is the perferred by Heartland. I don't want to start an argument of which is the better system, but I would like to see a discussion about the positive and negative of all the systems being used by our members.

I have read a lot of posts about the Levelup system. Many love their system and I have also read a number of problems. I would like to say I have the Bigfoot system and had Zero problems. It will level my trailer when it is off by 4.5*, which is the worst I have experienced but to the best of my knowledge it will level my trailer as long as it has the extension of the cylinders. I don't have to adjust it first. When I use my rear electric stabelizer jacks with the Bigfoot my trailer is very stable. The Bigfoot system has a seperate jack in each location. No hydraulic lines are run. Each jack operates a hydraulic jack electrically that is independent from each other. It is not part of the hydraulic system for the slides.

Bigfoot is installed on Semi Trailers, Motorhomes, 5thwheels, travel trailers and many other vehicles. They also have dealers in other locations other than White Pigeon, MI and Florida where I had mine installed.

Does anyone else have the Bigfoot system, and have you had any problems with it. If so please post the problems here. I like to be proactive to eliminate problems and would be intrested.

Jim B made a post in a previous thread that I agree with and this is partly why I started this thread.
Do yourself a favor and have it or something similar (Bigfoot, Reico-Titan etc) done.

Again, I do not want this thread to put down any system, but to discuss the pros and cons of any and all leveling system available. This gives others information and better options.

Thank you all

BC

davebennington

Re: 5th Wheel Leveiling system....

Bob,

You raise good questions, I don't know why there hasn't been more discussions about other level up systems, other than the fact that Heartland uses the Trailair/Lipport system as a standard. I have had very little knowledge about the Bigfoot system but reports that I have read they seem to the job very well. I have seen an electric system operate in person and while not as fast as the hydraulic system it works. We have a early Levelup system on our coach and if I let myself think about it I could worry about a broken line, leaking cylinder, or pump failure where nothing can be done until a replacement part can be had.
I guess what I am saying we each have a system that works for us and until we have a problem we are happy with what we have.

dave

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
Re: 5th Wheel Leveiling system....

Bob, I have the level up, it was installed at the factory. I have been having some issues with it here and there. Not sure whats up yet. It seemed to lose its level a couple of levelings ago and I re-calibrated it a couple of times. I traveled down to the Tampa RV Show and at the Lazydays RV Park it would not work at all. Kept kicking out the breaker it seemed like. I had to level manually. Once I arrived back at our home base it worked fine except it was off level. Seems to have something going on but I am not sure. I was pretty ignorant about the various systems when I purchased so I really can't talk about any of the others.

jbeletti

Re: 5th Wheel Leveiling systems other than LevelUp

Hi Bob,

I tweaked your thread title to encourage others to talk about leveling systems other than LevelUp. It would be naive on my part to think there are no other systems being used out there on our products. Therefore, it makes sense to have a place to discuss other systems so owners and prospects can share information about them in order to make the best decision for their own RV.

Jim

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador

We were the first after-market level up installed on a Heartland product...other than Jim. It was installed in June of '09...we have had zero issues with our unit. It's worked flawlessly for almost 3 years....considered bigfoot, but we don't like the idea of four separate pumps to go bad...plus the cost was considerably more. Guess that's why there are choices...

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member

OK, I've got the Reico-Titan Ground Control system. Why?
1. I could install it myself.
2. I didn't have to incur the expense of hauling the rig back and forth to Lippert.
3. It was over a $grand less, delivered to my door.
4. It's electric, not hydraulic, so no worries about springing a leak.
5. It's operation doesn't affect operating the slides and vice versa.
6. If one jack motor fails, I can swap another to operate it (or just use a ratchet and crank it manually).
7. It doesn't make noises in the middle of the night.
8. If needed, you can talk directly to the person who developed it, not somebody in a cubicle.

That it's not an "automatic" system does not matter to me. I prefer to be "hands on" setting up the rig.

TXBobcat

Fulltime

Hi Bob,

I tweaked your thread title to encourage others to talk about leveling systems other than LevelUp. It would be naive on my part to think there are no other systems being used out there on our products. Therefore, it makes sense to have a place to discuss other systems so owners and prospects can share information about them in order to make the best decision for their own RV.

Jim

Thanks Jim for the concideration. However I would rather not leave out the LevelUp system, which the title seems to indicate. So I would like anyone that uses a leveling system or is interested in any leveling system please feel free to post in this thread. Again I do appreciate your input to this thread.

BC

jnbhobe

I really didn't think about anything other than the level-up, that was because it was too good of a price to pass up. It was offered to attendees of the national rally in Nashville for $2400.00 installed. That was a very reasonable price to me since I was going thru Goshen on my way to the Illinois rally anyway. I have had a couple of glitches but no real problems. As they say at the Barrett-Jackson classic car auction it was BOUGHT WELL.

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader

2. I didn't have to incur the expense of hauling the rig back and forth to Lippert.
6. If one jack motor fails, I can swap another to operate it (or just use a ratchet and crank it manually).
8. If needed, you can talk directly to the person who developed it, not somebody in a cubicle.

That it's not an "automatic" system does not matter to me. I prefer to be "hands on" setting up the rig.

What John said.... :)

Love the Rieco system.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired

We have used the Reico-Titan Wireless Ground Control Leveling system on 2 coaches and would probably install it on any future coach. JohnDar pretty well summed it up - independant electric jacks that can be used separately or all together. If there is a problem with one jack, it can be switched out with any one of the other jacks with no problem. They are faster than the regular standard jacks that come on a coach. Plus with it being a wireless remote, you can level it even from your truck without getting out or, in our case, from our house while it's pouring down rain. We just like it better than the Lippert Level-Up system.

Dale and Jen

Funtimers

We just installed a StabiLevelilzer 14000 by Special Projects, for our Bighorn. New to the market and an excellent leveling system! It is designed to lift the frame between the axles eliminating tire sidewall flex and spring bounce. Level and solid in minutes! We love it!
If you have questions, you can contact me or contact the owner Linden Hultquist at 661 618-6590. You can see it at AVRV Connection in Lancaster, CA. This leveling system also works great on toy haulers! Highly recommend it!

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader

Yup, took about 6 hours.
Again yup. 750 miles away.
UHM, well could have taken advantage of a $2400 special but didnt so I only saved about $500.
Saw this happen to a demo coach at a rally. RF landing gear packing blew, left oil on the cg road and the coach was stranded with the slides out until a new leg was put on.
See answer to #4
never had to do that but it was nice to know i could.
Nope, never heard a word out of it whether it was on sand, rock or concrete.
never had too...

I am now getting used to Level Up. We have only had our LM for less than a month so I have only used a few times. First time getting it ready to hook up was a real experience. Wish it was on video, maybe could have won $10,000 on America's Funniest Videos.

Another point about the Ground Control, it was very redundant. If the battery went dead in the remote, there was a lead you could plug into the switch up front or into the brain box. If you lost the remote, there was a second remote that could be operated with a hard wire. If you lost both remotes, you could actually "jump" the wires on the brain box to operate the jacks. As John pointed out, there was redundancy in the jacks too. Good system! Hope the Level Up turns out as good.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member

Larry, you're one of the reasons I went with the Ground Control. And now my hero has gone to the Dark Side. But, if we're ever in the same campground together, I carry a 12-ton bottle jack in my truck. I'll give you a lift.

SouthernNights

Larry, you're one of the reasons I went with the Ground Control. And now my hero has gone to the Dark Side. But, if we're ever in the same campground together, I carry a 12-ton bottle jack in my truck. I'll give you a lift.

Well John, as long as it is not so dark that I cant see the edge.

On the level up I am not so concerned about the hydraulic side of it but a software failure. According to Lippert there is no "bypass" mode if you have a "brain failure". I am sure if desperate enough you could figure one out but really dont want too.

DougAndJudy

I am now getting used to Level Up. We have only had our LM for less than a month so I have only used a few times. First time getting it ready to hook up was a real experience.

Larry - I see that the factory-supplied Level-Up system (on Landmarks, at least) is now a 6-point system. Is yours? I noticed that on the 6-point system the jacks are spaced further from the wheels, both in front and to the rear, and that the rear electric stabilizer is no longer included. If you have the newer system, how is the new spacing as far as stability from rocking?

SouthernNights

Larry - I see that the factory-supplied Level-Up system (on Landmarks, at least) is now a 6-point system. Is yours? I noticed that on the 6-point system the jacks are spaced further from the wheels, both in front and to the rear, and that the rear electric stabilizer is no longer included. If you have the newer system, how is the new spacing as far as stability from rocking?

I do not have the 6 point system. They must have started that right after mine was built so I cant help you on the spacing. I would imagine that the 6 point is even more sold than the 4 point.

porthole

Retired

Well John, as long as it is not so dark that I cant see the edge.

On the level up I am not so concerned about the hydraulic side of it but a software failure. According to Lippert there is no "bypass" mode if you have a "brain failure". I am sure if desperate enough you could figure one out but really don't want too.

There may be no bypass mode, but with a bit of diligence you can jump the appropriate solenoids at the pump and at least get the legs retracted.

The brain is controlling the motor - on/off, and direction, forward or reverse. At the same time the solenoids are activated to allow fluid to flow.
Not much different then wiring in a manual landing gear switch.

I do not have the 6 point system. They must have started that right after mine was built so I cant help you on the spacing. I would imagine that the 6 point is even more sold than the 4 point.

Should you desire 6 jacks,and can make your way to Trail Air, Ron can install the extras for you.

krhyde

Kentucky Chapter Leaders-retired

If you lose power to the Level Up system, can you manually retract the legs? Ken

porthole

Retired

If you lose power to the Level Up system, can you manually retract the legs? Ken

You would have to jump the solenoids and if the pump is not working then a drill and 1/4" "key" is used to run the pump.

If it is a computer failure you would still need to jump the solenoids but you could close all of the slide out valves and run the pump using the slide switch.

krhyde

Kentucky Chapter Leaders-retired

Duane, Does the hydraulic pump that opens and closes the slides also operate the Level Up system? So closing the slide out valves and operating the pump with a drill would retract the Level Up legs? Ken