6.4 gauges

i have a 2006 king ranch, bought used with 30,000 miles on it. pulling my sob back from St.Ignace Mi. blew the air to air and since the selling dealer had put an after market air filter in, they were not going to live up to the warrenty. after 1 month of fighting them i purchased a motorcraft air filter and they warrentied my turbo and air to air. stupid comes to my mind. what do u think?!!!.

fhollan

Question!

So, in other words, if you add gauges, etc. or modify, what will Ford do if you have a engine or transmission problem and there is a exhaust brake been added recently? The dealer here told me that Ford doesn't recommend it. I brought the issue up again months later and the mechanic called Ford. The answer was that they could not tell me not to do it. The mechanic stated with automatic transmissions, they heat up quite a bit. It leaves you between a rock and a hard place. So how many of you that have a exhaust brake on your vehicle have ran into problems with Ford??

truknutt

Committed Member
Thanks guys. After getting assurance that EGT's are available without the optional probe and without having to drill the exhaust manifold, I went ahead and ordered the Edge Insight.

Pete,

I e-mailed the Techs @ EDGE Products and was also assured that the 2008-09 6.4L doesn't need the additional probe..Hallelujah! Just happened to receive a comp issue of "Diesel Tech" magazine yesterday and there on page 11 is a full page photo of the '08-'09 Lariat dash (in Medium Stone) with EDGE Pod sitting neatly under the grab handle. DW approves wholeheartedly as she isn't fond of the pillar mount w/Autometers in the '03 we still have.

I ordered the Insight & Dash Pod last night!

Peteandsharon

Truknutt, I just hooked mine up last night. I got home late from out of town so I didn't have time to fully install it. However, I did plug it in and test out what pids were available. There definitely is EGT. In fact, if you look in the "Ford specific" directory when you configure the display, there are 4 separate EGT's that you can monitor. I believe there are four different sensors that you can tap into. I'm going to test which one is the hottest and assume that it is the one closest to the exhaust manifold where I had my previous truck's sensor placed. That's the one I'll use.

One thing though. You'll find that the instruction manual lists Ford, GM and Dodge-specific pids. The list of Ford-specific pids is long and very intriguing. A lot of good stuff to monitor. However, I'm finding that the "actual" pids that you find when you actually hook up the OBD port is much smaller. In fact, I am having trouble finding the transmission temperature pid. Obviously, Ford provides a built in tranny temp gauge but I was hoping for something more precise where it actually displayed a digital reading. Maybe it's buried in there but I didn't see it on my first pass. At least it does give me EGT which was the most important thing for me.

Pete

creeper

So, in other words, if you add gauges, etc. or modify, what will Ford do if you have a engine or transmission problem and there is a exhaust brake been added recently? The dealer here told me that Ford doesn't recommend it. I brought the issue up again months later and the mechanic called Ford. The answer was that they could not tell me not to do it. The mechanic stated with automatic transmissions, they heat up quite a bit. It leaves you between a rock and a hard place. So how many of you that have a exhaust brake on your vehicle have ran into problems with Ford??

IF you have any mods and Ford is facing a motor/trans replacement they can simply say it's your fault and not honor their warranty.

EVEN if you have your dealer install aftermarket components Ford can void your warranty.

The mere presence of gauges can lead to a voided warranty. I would love to have gauges, but it's not going to happen.

After my 36k warranty is up, I will buy and extended warranty from Ford. At 100k I'll get a new truck... That way no excuses from Ford.

jbeletti

...After my 36k warranty is up, I will buy and extended warranty from Ford. At 100k I'll get a new truck... That way no excuses from Ford.

Curtis,

Consider getting it before 36,000 miles as there may be a $$ difference. I paid a $100 surcharge for being past 12,000 but less than 36,000.

Not sure if I got the best product or paid the lowest price but here are my notes:

9-March-2009
Purchased ESP Premium Care
WARRICK MOTOR CO
Mike Potts - 765-793-2233 - mrpotts62@sbcglobal.net
$2420 - 6 year / 75,000 miles / 3,000 hours $100 ded.

fhollan

IF you have any mods and Ford is facing a motor/trans replacement they can simply say it's your fault and not honor their warranty.

EVEN if you have your dealer install aftermarket components Ford can void your warranty.

Creeper; I'm assuming then that you do not have a exaust brake on your vehicle??

if i can put my 2 cents in is this 1st u got an oil temp gage the minute it starts to go up on a hard pull throttle back a little. also the new fords with twin turbos are made of stainless steel, couldnt kill them if u tried!!!.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Creeper,
Ford can void your warranty for just about anything. How about voiding your warranty for not using Motorcraft oil or filter? Get real and stop being so paranoid. I have had after market stuff (how about a full Banks package with pillar gauges) on my Ford since it was new and have never been denied a warranty claim. If I was I would just talk to my attorney and let him deal with it. If you are only putting gauges to monitor things I don't see how they could deny a warranty claim. But on the other hand they can always deny but you can always sue, notify the news media, notify the Federal Trade Commision etc. They do not like the bad press.:)
PS. I also have had the Banks exhaust brake on it since it was new.

Last edited:

creeper

Creeper,
Ford can void your warranty for just about anything. How about voiding your warranty for not using Motorcraft oil or filter?

That's EXACTLY what they told the judge in my case. I do my own oil changes and they accused me of not using the proper oil and filter. I then produced receipts for oil and filters from Ford.

Get real and stop being so paranoid.

Get real and get your head out of the sand. I've spent the last 6 years on the ford diesel site. Watched MANY GUYS get their warranty denied. I've lemon lawed 2 Ford trucks. How many have you lemon lawed? You would not believe the tricks Ford tries to pull. They accused me of having a box.

I have had after market stuff (how about a full Banks package with pillar gauges) on my Ford since it was new and have never been denied a warranty claim.

It's obvious you haven't melted a piston yet. Or had an engine fail. Have that happen, pull your truck with your banks installed and see what ford does. DO some research. There is no shortage of guys with voided warranty. A Powerstroke replacement is over 10K.

If I was I would just talk to my attorney and let him deal with it. If you are only putting gauges to monitor things I don't see how they could deny a warranty claim. But on the other hand they can always deny but you can always sue, notify the news media, notify the Federal Trade Commision etc. They do not like the bad press.:)
PS. I also have had the Banks exhaust brake on it since it was new.

This is a funny statement. They don't like press? Where have you been? Ford has been getting torched over their powerstroke problems. Well over 500 million dollars in warranty claims. They can deny your warranty, just because. Again there is no shortage of guys on the Ford diesel sites denied and accused of having boxes.

How much does a lawyer cost? 5k , 10K? THen expert witnesses cost a bundle. Media could careless that with your FULL banks system you melted your engine. The Federal Trade could care less also, you're living a pipe dream. You play, you pay.. I guess you didn't read your owners manual on mods... Read that little book they give you when you buy.

There was a guy on the diesel site with a brand new F450. Had some drive line mods done by the dealer. When the rear broke ford voided the entire warranty on his brand new truck. He sold it, took a beating and got another brand.

Like I said in the past, the first question I'm asked when I go for service is , "do you have a box on your truck?" Why do you think that ask that?

I lemon lawed a 2003 F250 Powerstroke, it was at 26k when the ordeal was over.
They gave me a 2006 F250 Powerstroke, it was at 38K when lemon lawed that one.
They gave me a 2008 F350 Powerstroke and it's the current truck I have now.

Am I being paranoid or a realist?

creeper

Curtis,

Consider getting it before 36,000 miles as there may be a $$ difference. I paid a $100 surcharge for being past 12,000 but less than 36,000.

Not sure if I got the best product or paid the lowest price but here are my notes:

9-March-2009
Purchased ESP Premium Care
WARRICK MOTOR CO
Mike Potts - 765-793-2233 - mrpotts62@sbcglobal.net
$2420 - 6 year / 75,000 miles / 3,000 hours $100 ded.

Thanks for the numbers, but I think they are a bit high. I have to look it up, but the diesel site lists a friendly dealer and guys have been buying the warranty in the $1500 range. Might have changed in the current climate. I'll have to look into it.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Sure sounds like you have had your share of bad luck Creeper. Before I put my Banks system in I got it in writing from a Ford dealer that it would not void my warranty. Also I have not (knock on wood) melted a piston, and my 7.3 has been good to me. The point I was trying to make was any manufacturer can void a warranty for anything if they want. It is then up to the consumer to hold the manufacturer's "feet to the fire" to honor the warranty. We even know of a Heartland owner where Heartland has not stood behind their warranty but that is another story. I guess the bottom line is you just have to make the mods that you think are necessary and then go from there. Any time you make a change from the original you will run that risk. That goes for anything. Heck if you buy an aftermarket belt for you vacuum cleaner they will say that caused the motor to fail. I think most of our problems stem from inferior (Chinese) parts made from inferior (Chinese) materials.

creeper

FYI, the agreement that the Ford Dealer gave you is worthless. They don't make warranty decisions, moth Ford makes those. You would have to sue the dealer for any cost you had to pay out of pocket.

My point was if you want to play with mods, you pay if it breaks. If you don't care, then happy modding. Just look at the price of these diesel engines. YIKES......

Peteandsharon

Yeah, when my new engine came down to repair vs. replace, I was told that the 6.4 cost $12,000 to replace.

I will also add that Jim is enhancing the 7.3L engine. Ford hasn't made an engine as solid and reliable before or since. The 6.0 was an unmitigated disaster for a lot of folks and the 6.4 is still shaking out the new engine bugs in some cases. People have been chipping and tweaking the 7.3 for years and its durability has stood the test of time. If you're gonna mod an engine, you couldn't pick a more solid one.

However, I will say again that I would not pull a 12,000 pound trailer under any circumstances without some necessary gauges. Reading an earlier thread about pulling in the mountains made me cringe. The thought of someone pulling a tough mountain grade and not knowing how hot his exhaust gases were getting is suicidal. You better make sure your warranty is up to date.