6000 mile trip..

fpratt

Heading out in June also

We are heading out this June for about a 6000 mile trip across the good ole USA. I've been working on the truck and the Bighorn getting it ready for the trip. I'm looking at ways to lighten everything up. I was going to remove the tail gate and take out items that are not needed for this trip. I just got new G614's on the Bighorn, so I feel pretty good about the tires. Does anybody have any thoughts what you would do to get ready for a trip like this. This will be our 3rd time in 6 years. I'm glad fuel is down compared to last summer. My 05 Powerstroke has 62k on it, air bags and fuel tool combo box.

Thanks for the input..

Steve

We will be heading out also once we receive the right BH. We are waiting for the second delivery of our 3600 RL. On the first delivery we were missing 7 major items which included duel pane window and color. But I must say Hartland is standing behind the error and are in the process of making it right. We are scheduled to leave on the 15th of June for three weeks; however that is looking like that will be delayed for another week or so. We will be heading out from Oregon to San Antonio TX making two stops along the way to see family. It is looking like there will be a number of BH's on the highway in June and July. May the highways be safe for all.

Floyd :rolleyes:

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
TXBobcat - unfortunately we are still both in the workforce so time is a factor. We had 8 days of hard travel (several days of over 600 miles). Both my wife and I trade off doing the driving so one person is not stuck doing a 12 hour day. It works out ok and we both still feel ok when we finally pull over. Oh by the way - we average around 60. That's about all you can do on the interstates in IL, IA, SD and some roads of WY. Getting back to TN's road was a blessing.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Nabo
Hope you have a great trip. We use to do things like that when we were young. LOL..

One thing, I said we Average 45, I drive about 63-65 if he roads are good. We also like to drive the US hwy's rather than the Interstates. We also stop for a relief break ever so often which keeps our average low.

Travel Safe and may God Bless.
BC

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Trip was great:):). spend 3 days in Black Hills, 4 days in Yellowstone/Grand Tetons, 1 Day each in Cody and Cheyenne. Once we retire (not sure when now that the recession has hit and the 4 years from now went out the door) now we know where we would like to spend more time.

caokgafamily

Thank's for all the interest, We will be gone about a month. I hope the speculators and opec don't go crazy again. I've got a 60 gal fuel tool combo box, I hate to spend the $ to fill them up but it also nice driving for 1.5 days with out getting fuel. I average 10 mpg with the Powerstroke so after 800+ miles I'm looking for fuel. Its nice to drive buy a busy station. At $3 per gal we would spend about $ 1800 apx on fuel.

caokgafamily

We plan on staying at KOA's when we are not with friends and family, I've always liked KOA's for traveling. I would rather stay in a State park for a extended amount of time, or something that is more senic. I just upgraded my GPS today, I was going to get a Gamin Nuvi but I picked up the Magellan Roadmate 1440 it just came out $169 at Best Buy. I like the AAA info and it has this feature that shows you what lane to be in. The GPS is alot easier than fighting with the DW.

caokgafamily

I was thinking about removing my tail gate on the 250, a little less weight. I'm not going to have anything in the bed, and it would be one less thing to mess with.

Any thoughts about removing the tailgate? MPG +?

Tom of Ypsi

I do not know if there is a significant increase in fule mileage but I put in a "V" tailgate on my last truck a 2005, F350 Ford. This does reduce the weight and still lets you put things in the bed without having them slide out while traveling. I have the tailgate in the basement of my coach at the moment and taking it to the rally with a "FOR SALE' sign on it. BO takes it home.

bill40

Hi Steve,
We made the same trip in 07 for the same family reasons. We left Pa on Sept. 1st and headed west on I40. The only mistake was our due date in CA was the 6th for a party. The first two days we did 540 and 636 miles. Never will do that again. It is amazing we made almost every place you have heard about in other post. They are all correct.
We ended up having Thanksgiving in Williams AZ. buy the time we got to Flagstaff it was snowing so we headed south to Sedona. Amazing how a few miles changes the temp. Had hoped to head back to I40 but the snow and ice storms forced us south to I10. Finally got back home 21st of Dec. just in time to get Santa out for the grandkids.
Would love to use the northern route the next time and plan too but will keep the daily mileage down so we don't miss the sites. We found the fule to much cheaper out west than what I had programed in the route planner. Used Flying J about 95% of the time. I know its hard to do but try and squeeze some more time into your trip you wont reget it. HAVE FUN Bill

caokgafamily

A couple of days ago I resealed most of the lower caulking !!! I wiped everything down with alcohol and sealed away. The orig caulking wasn't that bad it just needed some touch up. I had some extra about 1 yr old white silicone for outdoor windows etc. Well after a couple of days it would not dry !!! It must have gone bad or reverted ?? What a pain I had to wipe it all off, what a mess!! If you reseal make sure your stuff is new...

santafedave

Santafedave
External Tank

Hey. I installed a 75 gallon external on my PS and man does it make a difference. I to love to drive by the busy Truckstops and gas stations until I find a cheap one. Go to Dieselboss.com and it will show you all of the truck stop diesel prices across the nation. Good luck on your summer vacation!

jpjulian

10 months ago I thought I'd never walk again let alone travel across this great nation.

I'm feeling pretty blessed. T11 incomplete spinal cord injury.

A wise old shooting buddy of mine said, "it is better to be seen than to be viewed." Enjoy your trip and enjoy every moment for we never know how many moments we may have.

JJ

caokgafamily

Well we made it to Ca, we had a flat in Tx on the truck, no prob I just put the truck spare on and got the tire fixed in Ca. I saw about 5 different Heartland products going west on I 40. There was 2 Bighorn's at the Williams KOA in AZ. Everything is going good with my 07 3400 rl.
Steve

caokgafamily

Well we are still on the road. I've seen alot of Heartland products in Ca & Or. We are in Yellowstone now. Everything been going good. To many bugs on the front cap = alot of miles.
Steve

glow4004

trip across america

There are three camper families heading across the country for 6 months August 1st ending in Florida at the end of January. We are visiting over 25 National Parks. One camper is taking tools instead of all taking them. Believe me that saves space. no Bicycles and only 2 folding chairs. We are eliminating two chairs of our kitchen set. Buy groceries as you travel instead of loading down. Take less clothing Anyway... Have a safe trip and enjoy.

caokgafamily

This 6000 mile trip is going to end up a 7000 mile trip. We have about 1100 to go then we will be home. Has anybody been in the Bighorn mountains in Wy. WOW what a pull. I'm pretty happy with my Powerstroke !!!! Yellowstone and Mt Rushmore are beautiful.
Steve

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
The Bighorn mountains are awesome. This is a big beautiful country with plenty to seen Have safe travels

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Been to the Bighorn Mountains many times. Use to live in Midwest, Wy as a kid. Use to go to Buffalo and Sheridan all the time. Fathers company would hold a family day in the mountains every year. Lots of fun..

We are on our way north now. Going to go through the Dakotas and up thru the Bighorns to Montana and see Glacier National Park. Then back down south through Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons..
BC

wdk450

Heartlands in Oregon

Well we are still on the road. I've seen alot of Heartland products in Ca & Or. We are in Yellowstone now. Everything been going good. To many bugs on the front cap = alot of miles.
Steve

Steve:
Your time in Oregon coincided with a Heartland Oregon Chapter annual Rally in Winchester Bay on the Central Coast. You probably saw a lot of rigs going to/from that.

caokgafamily

We did see some Heartland products in Or. We are in Kentucky tonight then 435 miles to home! We love our 07 Bighorn, it has been a great home for the last month. Looking forward to the day we can fulltime (15 yrs) We have met some great people all over the 19 states we were in.
Steve

Last edited: