614 Blowout

brianharrison

Our turn. One of our Goodyear G614s threw the tread in-between Lubbock and Tye, TX. Along the way I noticed that the TPMS was showing that tire about 10 psi lower than the others, but holding stable. Didn't hear anything. The tire didn't blow out or go flat. Probably drove 100 miles before stopping for lunch where we noticed the damage to the j-wrap.

Ironically, we were going to put new tires on next week after arriving in Bullard.

Btw, the 4 point leveling system did a very nice job getting the wheel off the ground. And yes, those tires are pretty heavy.

View attachment 32275View attachment 32274

Good thing you are a moderator, as you can go unlock a for sale thread for edit :) Link.

Brian

Jim.Allison

Ain't that the truth? Im glad they are not likely to blow, I sure don't want to have to heave that spare up onto the lugs like I did when I installed them. BTW, is your spare a 114, and if so where are you keeping it? I have mine on that spare tire carrier but I dont like it there, it scares me.
My experience with G614's is that I only had blow outs or tire deformation (broken belts) after 20,000 to 25,000 miles and/or 2 1/2 years of age. We average about 10,000 miles per year on our trailer. That is why I replaced them with G114's. Dan, if you think G614's are heavy, G114's are even heavy-er!

porthole

Retired
is your spare a 114, and if so where are you keeping it? I have mine on that spare tire carrier but I don't like it there, it scares me.

Keep my 114 on the spare tire carrier - with a nylon ratchet strap around it and the frame for added security.

VMooreSR

On our way home after a tough game with the Cowboys:mad:Lol, anyway the tires on our rig are dated between 38th wk of 12 and 44th wk of 12 the one that blew was so damaged you couldn't see the date, apparently they only put it on one side, I couldn't find it if it was there.
Dan your right that level up makes easy work of changing a tire. My problem was with rude drivers who wouldn't change lanes with my butt close to lane cause you couldn't get far enough on the shoulder:mad:

Terry H

Past Texas North Chapter Leader/Moderator
Staff member
Jim,

My spare is a G614 which I keep on the OE spare tire carrier.

Jim.Allison

That is a good idea, I think I will do that. Im thinking of a design that will handle an extra spare for the TV and the spare for the fiver. It has to have the ability to hold 200 lbs permanently without failing.
Keep my 114 on the spare tire carrier - with a nylon ratchet strap around it and the frame for added security.

danemayer

Ordered Goodyear G114 tires with 17.5" wheels from Trailer Tire and Wheels this morning. Should arrive Thursday.

adam

I understand age, speed and load as factors that could lead to failure, but it would be interesting to hear about pressures.

For those who have had faults with the GY's -- what pressure were you running when the tire let go?

Adam

jnbhobe

I had one loose the tread at 95* ambient temp. The tire was at 114 lbs and 114*. Good year paid for the damage.

danemayer

I understand age, speed and load as factors that could lead to failure, but it would be interesting to hear about pressures.

For those who have had faults with the GY's -- what pressure were you running when the tire let go?

Adam

TPMS showed all 4 tires were 106-108 at about 58 degrees F before driving, which should translate to "cold" inflation of 108-110. Ambient temps were in the upper 60s at time of failure. TPMS reported pressures, while driving, in the 122-125 range.

2013 weight on that wheel was 3150 vs 3750 rating.