8000 lb. axle (bearings & seals)

Rodbuster

With all the talk on the forum about bearings and maintenance I thought I would look into doing mine.
I've read info on 6000 and a lot on 7000 lb. axles, but nothing on the upgraded 8000 lb. axles on my Landmark.

What I'm looking for are the part numbers for the inner bearing, outer bearing, seals, races, etc. and whatever else I might need....also, the best grease I should use.
I'm not asking anybody to research this for me, I plan on calling "Dexter" Monday morning. Just wondering if anybody would already have this information and/or advice or tips for a 8000 lb. axle.
I have already been to Dexter's web site, but to be honest with you, I can't figure out what part numbers apply to my axle. Just under the 8000 lb. axle category they listed things like,
D80 Leaf Springs
13T not available with low profile
Double Eye Axle Assemblies
Slipper Spring Axle Assemblies
865 Hub Group
I have no idea what this stuff means.

On their web site, I was looking for some type of cross reference specific to my axle serial number.
The information on my axle was;

PO: P2-P0558817
Dexter Axle 8F=8828 SC=68.50 D80
Dexter# 4469767
06 26 13 04 54 S3 L
Order# 271333-3
SERIAL# 132059064

As I mentioned before, I'll be calling Dexter Monday morning but if anybody would have any information or guidance on this, I would appreciate it very much.

Thank you
Dick

danemayer

Hi Dick,

If you can crawl under the rig and get a picture of the label on your axle, you'll have a more productive discussion with Dexter. If you look at the attached picture from our LM, you'll see on the fifth line that it's a D70, which I think identifies it as a 7000 lb axle. I'd guess yours is a D80. The part number may also be helpful in identifying the correct parts.

Attachments

• Rushmore Axle Label.jpg
    Rushmore Axle Label.jpg
    236.6 KB · Views: 51

lwmcguir

We have over 30k on our 8K axles, spin and grease once per year and check the play. They are heavy enough that I expect them to go at least 50K before pulling them apart and checking the bearings. If a large amount of play would develop then it would happen at that point. Great upgrade and what they should have came out with from Heartland. It is good it is an option now.

Rodbuster

Hi Dan, thank you for getting back to me....you also lwmcguir, all information is good.

Dan, I don't quite understand your post. In my original post, I have "all" the information that is printed on that label, including what you mentioned as " D80" and also the serial number. When I talk to Dexter on Monday I can relay any info that they could ask for.

Dick

danemayer

Hi Dan, thank you for getting back to me....you also lwmcguir, all information is good.

Dan, I don't quite understand your post. In my original post, I have "all" the information that is printed on that label, including what you mentioned as " D80" and also the serial number. When I talk to Dexter on Monday I can relay any info that they could ask for.

Dick

Sorry for the confusion Dick. I must have read your post too fast.

I ordered parts directly from Dexter last Fall. Delivery was pretty quick.

I'm guessing you have the following from page 68 of this Dexter Catalog but I'd confirm it with them.

Dexter 8K axle parts.jpg

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
The part numbers that Dan posted are correct for the 8K axle.
I suggest looking for a place that sells cargo trailers, or any other trailer shop.
They most likely will sell the RedLine parts.
Seals #10-36 around $4,
outer bearing 04275 about $13 and the inner bearing #25580 around $15.

Peace
Dave

Rodbuster

Thank you for the link Dan and thank you for the confirmation Cookie.
I'll still follow up with Dexter as you suggested Dan.

Dick