A 5th-wheel "What is . . . this?" list!

bighorn3370

JohnD, your slide outs are not as deep on your new fifth wheel. That is why you can extend them out. You have two of them that need to come into the fifth wheel at opposite sides of each other. Ernie

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
John

It looks GRRRRRREAT! Now, when is the shakedown trip?

Hey Ronn . . . thanks!

(Ronn was at the Colorado HOC campout two weeks ago when we slipped out of the afternoon activities and bought the new trailer)

We were going to try and take it out to Bear Creek park tonight as Mary and Phil are over there, but we could only get one night there (Thursday), so we decided to wait.

We have three nights booked at the Wellington KOA (near Ft. Collins) over the July 4th weekend, so I guess that will be our shakedown.

Although I'm going to call Garry (AZ) as he will be passing through the area on his way home from the Goshen Rally and we may try to hook up with him somewhere.

I'll be around tomorrow . . . I'll try giving you a call if you are going to be home.

JohnD

From your pics I can see the section of fence next to the garage is a good thing, it will keep you from hitting the garage roof overhang, I have the same situation but no fence and it's on the opposite side which I can't see well so I'm always paranoid about it, I too have fired my wife from helping me back in, I'm afraid someone will call the Police while listening to us yell at each other. I've been backing the FW in and out for 3 years and for some reason I have a serious disconnect on the correct way to look in the mirrors and turn the wheel the correct direction. I'm (SC - Steering Challenged - not on CGUNN's list) is what my wife called me.

Yes . . . I left that piece of fence there as a barrier to hide the trash dumpster behind, plus it helps me guide the trailer to it's rightful spot.

Our fence used to go across from the garage to the property line, then all the way back to the back of or back yard.

Our old 1978 Coachman travel trailer used to hide behind the fence . . . out of sight (almost) from the street.

But a couple of months before we purchased our 2013 Trail Runner, a massive wind storm blew the fence down all the way to the back of our property.

And the only thing holding it up off of the ground was . . . our 1978 Coachman Cadet 24!

Other than a couple of dents (it already had a million hail dings) . . . the Coachman was basically unscathed.

So when we made the deal to trade in the Coachman (to which I had named it "Trailer Trash") for the Trail Runner, I propped up the fence with a bunch of 2x4's so I could get the trailer out, then had the old fence hauled away and replaced with a new fence, although I didn't run it out as far as it used to go as the Trail Runner looked to be to long to fit as far back as 'Trailer Trash' used to go.

That little piece of fence is all that remains of the original fence (circa 1983) on that side of our house.

I'll have to look around to see if I have any photos of the old set up.

dlw930

That's the way to use the ol noodle! (Sorry. I couldn't resist).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I don't know which hurts worse...the corner of the slide or the pin box. One takes a divot out of your head and other hurt's like @%&$ and puts grease in your hair.

dlw930

The one that's worse is the one that's happened most recently. To that end, I vote for the pin box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MTPockets

I've banged the head a few times, and find it's only when I'm wearing a cap. The brim seems to block my view, while I've never banged when hatless....

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
Terry:

You need to turn your cap around and wear the brim backwards when working on the Big Horn...
Also you will look cool and everyone will think you are much younger...cheers...see you in Oct,,,

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I've put the "soft" vinyl stick-on corners on the bedroom and entertainment slides, since they have square corners. Also put a swim noodle on the bed slide. Inside, I put brown vinyl corners on the cabinet in the center of the main slide that projects out and down. Banged into the pointy corners of that thing many times and it did not feel good.

MTPockets

Terry:

You need to turn your cap around and wear the brim backwards when working on the Big Horn...
Also you will look cool and everyone will think you are much younger...cheers...see you in Oct,,,
yeah, I think of that while I'm stopping the bleeding....

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
One other thing about the pin. It doesn't hurt as much because you miss your head on it, but will ruin the back of a shirt with grease. Hate when that happens. X2 on wearing the hat thing.

JohnD

One other thing about the pin. It doesn't hurt as much because you miss your head on it, but will ruin the back of a shirt with grease. Hate when that happens. X2 on wearing the hat thing.

This is probably for another topic thread, but how much grease should be on the pin?

A little . . . a lot . . . ?

I have one of those white lubrication discs for the coupler already . . .

Remember . . . I'm a 5th-wheel newb with one 5th-wheel pull under my belt . . . the 40 mile drive home from the dealership.

Please be easy on me . . .