A 5th-wheel "What is . . . this?" list!

StarryNight

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
Don says he puts a little bit of white lithium on the king pin...not gooped on! He uses a spray.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Don says he puts a little bit of white lithium on the king pin...not gooped on! He uses a spray.

A friend of ours who used to be a truck driver gave me a can of stuff (Super Tech Lubricant) he used to spray on the hitch of his semi.

I've been using it for years on my trailer hitches . . . it is kinda like WD40.

Should work on the king pin.

The label is so worn that I can't read the scoop on the stuff.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
John, but only on the pin....not on the plate. A real semi hitch is a different animal that your 5er hitch. If you don't have one yet, get the teflon disk and put it on the pin.

JohnD

John, but only on the pin....not on the plate. A real semi hitch is a different animal that your 5er hitch. If you don't have one yet, get the teflon disk and put it on the pin.

I have the white teflon plate . . .

JohnD

Oh . . . I think I've discovered another 5th-wheel phrase . . .

On my old bumper-pulls, the outside storage areas were call 'cubby holes' . . .

But am I to understand correctly that on a 5th-wheel we call them 'basements'?

jimtoo

Yes John,,, they are called basements. They are also known by a few "men" as "dog houses on wheels". I'm sure they get a little cramped, so remember be nice to the DW at all times.

Jim M

teasac69

OR if they are misbehaving, they are also called "grandchildren compartments". With being heated and cooled on my BH, it's a great place to clear out the gear and put the little GAMEBOY noise makers out of the way. :) (just don't let the door latch).

teasac69

I can also tell you that Chunking feeling gets worse the longer the trip, the older the couple and the more expansion joint highway you drive. you will real tired of that real quick if you drive very far away from home and hit some of America's worst roads. I put a Trailair on my BH and it made 95% of that bad junk disappear. The little bit remaining I can live with. It is better for the heavier units or over packed coaches and compensates for both up and down and and back and forth moving. Most important items to me have already been mentioned, TYN, tire pressure, tire quality, and making a checkout list to be sure to get everything buttoned up and stuff that needs to be lowered is down, stuff that needs to be raised is up and stuff that needs to be tucked is tucked. Have fun, it's not supposed to be work.

travel fun and safe.

dlw930

I grease the zerks on the hitch and use a dry graphite lubricant on the other parts including the king pin. Works great and keeps the hitch working smoothly. Without the Teflon plate, the hitch does a lot of popping and clinking while pulling. With the plate, quiet as a mouse. Got a new 5th Airborne pinbox installed and anxious to see how much improvement it makes in the chucking on the trip to Goshen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Miltp920

Just ran across a descriptive phrase we may use for some of our tasks.... "PITA" Pain in the "posterior"

JohnD

I might have to try some of this 'White Lightning' that Don and Monica speak of . . .

Oh wait . . . we're talking grease . . . not Fireball!

Is white lithium a brand name?

MTPockets

I might have to try some of this 'White Lightning' that Don and Monica speak of . . .

Oh wait . . . we're talking grease . . . not Fireball!

Is white lithium a brand name?
. White Lithium is a generic name for lithium base grease that happens to be white... Same as your wheel brg grease.