A/C Mod - installed the TimK "Tent" to redirect airflow

ChopperBill

It is amazing how well this mod works. I see posts on the other forum about a 2nd A/C and bring this up with a link to here and it seems to fall on deaf ears. I did it on both trailers (worked a little better on our 3055 being shorter with less vents). Going to block off the last vents when I get to it as it should help even more. Never have bought a second air. I can turn on the A/C in 95* temps and its nice and comfy in the trailer. BEWARE after you do the mod have the vacuum near by cause its going to blow stuff out the vents.

rick_debbie_gallant

Another small cheap mod you can do is cover the furnace return. That is just like having a hole to the basement for the cold air to escape through. . Another one is try covering the furnace registers also.

My cold air return for the furnace is up by the ceiling. Should I close that off when running the air?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Rick, on our last BH the cold air return was on the floor. I blocked that on off and kept it blocked even in the winter. Kept a lot of cold air out.
This rig has the return above, like yours, and have had no need to block it. The cold air does not rise to escape.

Peace
Dave

rick_debbie_gallant

Rick, on our last BH the cold air return was on the floor. I blocked that on off and kept it blocked even in the winter. Kept a lot of cold air out.
This rig has the return above, like yours, and have had no need to block it. The cold air does not rise to escape.

Peace
Dave

I am wondering if blocking the furnace duct vents In the floor would help in keeping the cold air "upstairs".
4" x 10" = 40 sq inches
40 sq inches x 5 vents = 200 sq inches.
200 sq inches / 144 = 1.4 sq feet. That is a pretty big hole in the floor for the cold to escape. What ya think? Is it worth it?

I will even put my vent fan in the bedroom on 10 or 20% so the hot air can escape.

traveler44

There are a few other things that help the air flow like blocking off the dead ends of the ducts and taping up the inside corners of the duct work so that the air flows more smoothly. I took the livingroom vents down and taped over one side to make the ceiling vents directional. We are able to close the bathroom vent on ours to get more air in the bedroom. That probably depends on what floor plan you have. I think you have the right idea by shading the sun off of the sides as much as possible. Tom

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
DH did the tent-the-vent today. Much improved air-flow into the living area, and some improvement to the ducts in the bedroom. We had already done the "end of run" duct diversion. Today was a good day to do this, high in the 70s with a cool breeze, so not too hot!!! Give it a month, we'll be cooking in the 90s, I'm sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk