A couple things from our 2nd trip in the new Key West

gandmrv

We just completed our 2nd trip in our new Key West. It was not without incident. We left Wyoming heading to Minnesota for my next job, we took 5 days staying at KOA's along the way, 2 of them for 2 night stays. I-80 between our second stop in Omaha, and our third stop in Albert Lea, Mn. was quite rough. When we got to KOA in Albert Lea, I noticed the living room TV was unlatched and had swung out, fortunately the hinges held and the screen hadn't been damaged. Upon inspection I found that the little pin that engages the latch mechanism had broken. The threads had broken off, they are very small threads, good for home installation probably, not so good for 5th wheel application. I believe I fixed the problem by drilling out the small hole for the original pin to 1/4". I went to a local Home Depot and bought a 1/4" x 2" Stainless Steel bolt and 2 stainless steel nuts. I screwed 1 nut all the way onto the bolt and inserted bolt into the hole, put other nut on back side of flange and tightened. Works great so far, and is much stronger than the original piece.

The next thing I noticed after the TV was the "EXIT" window behind and above the couch was open and the screen was missing. To be honest I'm not sure it ever had a screen, but my wife swears it did have one. So if it did in fact have a screen, it must have flown out the open window. Like I said the highway had some very rough areas.

Then to top it off, This morning getting hooked up for the last leg of our trip, I notice that one of the outer panes of the window on DS living room slide out was shattered. Glass was in place, but completely spider webbed. We were gone all day the day yesterday, and when we got back late in the afternoon I noticed they had begun lawn maintenance and had weed eated around our spot. I could see plainly the impact spot where rock or something had hit the window. I brought the issue to the managers attention and she said without hesitation, "get it fixed and send me the bill, I will reimburse you". Sounds like they may have known about it already...lol. I duct taped the glass in place so that it would make the trip without littering the highway, and called a local glass repair shop when we got to our destination. He said he would order replacement glass directly from Heartland.

We are still loving our new Key West though! I love the 1 touch leveling, and height memory for rehooking. My wife loves her washer dryer and the Induction cooktop, The king size bed was a pleasant surprise (the comfort), but wife says it is difficult to make the bed because you dont have full access around the bed.

thats all for now folks

TxCowboy

Gandmrv, sounds like you're having a good "shake down" cruise. Good tip on the TV latch. Will look at ours over the weekend.

Agree with what your DW says about the bed -- it's a little difficult getting up to the headboard portion but most RVs with this type of bedroom slide have that same situation.

MCTalley

Our rear exit window does not have a screen. We have a Big Country instead of a Landmark, but I would suspect that might be a standard thing. The exit window in the bedroom does have one, but also has a different latch on it meant to be opened for fresh air.

gandmrv

Thanks for the info MCTalley, that solves the mystery for us..lol, and proves me right..lol

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

travlingman

Good to hear the campground stepped up to cover the window. I am surprised you didn't have a fight to get them to cover it.
A helpful tip for your bed is one I got on this site. You can buy square vinyl tiles with glue backing at Lowes/Home Depot and put on top of the wood that the mattress sets on. It makes the mattress easy to pull out and put sheets on and then slide back in.

lindaw

Florida Chapter Leader - Retired
Thanks for the info MCTalley, that solves the mystery for us..lol, and proves me right..lol

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
We have a Landmark and the exit window in rear does not have a screen but the latch on it broke going across
Minesota and we have it bungeed shut right now. Glad you posted this reminds me to order new one.
Linda