A few questions for the 4200 owners

Drock512

My family and I will be fulltiming for the next few years and we've narrowed the decision down to the 4200 and another toyhauler. We have a few questions however:

- How often do you use the side patio?
- With all the windows in the living/kitchen, is it hard to keep it cool in hot weather and warm in cold weather?
- Have you had any major problems?
- Any recommended dealers in the central Texas area?

jimtoo

Hi Drock512,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

I'm sure some of our Cyclone family will jump i soon with some answers for you about the side patio and others. I would recommend for sure double pane windows and upgrade the tires when your order or buy from a dealers lot. I believe ExploreUSA is the dealer in your area.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

Jim-Lynn

My family and I will be fulltiming for the next few years and we've narrowed the decision down to the 4200 and another toyhauler. We have a few questions however:

- How often do you use the side patio?
- With all the windows in the living/kitchen, is it hard to keep it cool in hot weather and warm in cold weather?
- Have you had any major problems?
- Any recommended dealers in the central Texas area?

Drock512, as long as you have the width in camp sights there are no issues with the side patio. Most are 20' and you will be Ok. I agree with Jims t upgrading the windows for full timing. A far as the patio door, close he blinds and with the side patio out - with the awning down all is great.
Happy Trails
Jim

OEFVET

As stated already, dual pane windows are recommended. We use ours whenever we have the space. The patio doors have full length drapes that keeps the sun out. No issues with the deck. It was a big plus for the floor plan that we desired.

BLHFUN

We use the side patio every time we use the TH. Great for coffee in the morning and glass of wine in the evening. If you're are staying in campsites that don't even allow the awning out, move rV parks. Your patio stays within the awning space when it's down. I did not buy dual pane windows and regret every second of it. Also recommend all 3 ac units. Garage space needs the During the summer if you are using table or have sleeping guest.
we love our unit!

ndmac

I agree on all of the point made in previous posts.
I did not get double pane windows...regret, but not full timing for 7+ years so I might not even have this rig then.

Side patio was discussed between the wife and I many times before purchasing this unit. (Me-For, Her-Against)
Now she spends most of her time on it. LOL funny how you spend all of that time discussing pro/cons and all the sudden the one point you disliked the most is our favorite thing about it.

It is especially nice after a good rain to fold out a dry deck! (Generally fold ours up during extended rainy periods - Unless the wife is using it - LOL)

The only thing that left me scratching my head is the Awning layouts and not covering the main door, but we found that we go in and out of the Garage door most of the time so not as big a deal as it was initially.

BLHFUN

The only thing that left me scratching my head is the Awning layouts and not covering the main door, but we found that we go in and out of the Garage door most of the time so not as big a deal as it was initially.

You and me both - I think of it this way, thank goodness I don't live in the North West where it rains all the time. This was a bone head move IMO. We use the back door a well.

All said.. I still give it a 9 out of 10.

Hunter920

so I too am looking at the 4200, and have been for about 2 years now. I keep seeing the double pane window option coming up. My question, is that if you buy off the lot, are the units coming with single pane? Or do you need to order it from the factory in order to get the double pane option? My big thing is that you can get more dealer discount than you can if you buy directly from the factory. Just trying to see what is the best way to go about getting it.

danemayer

Hi Hunter920,

When dealers order RVs to put on the lot, they seem to rarely order with dual pane windows.

If you do place a factory order, I know of no reason you can't negotiate the same discount off MSRP as you can for a unit on the lot. Other than cost of the extra option, the wholesale price to the dealer is the same. The dealer has to do the same paperwork to place the order. He has to do the same pre-delivery prep work. He has to provide you with the same support. The only thing he doesn't have to do is pay to keep a trailer sitting on the lot for months. So his cost should be lower for a factory order with the same equipment.

Negotiating price can be challenging. You do it once every so many years. Dealer sales people do it every day.

ndmac

Hi Hunter920,

When dealers order RVs to put on the lot, they seem to rarely order with dual pane windows.

If you do place a factory order, I know of no reason you can't negotiate the same discount off MSRP as you can for a unit on the lot. Other than cost of the extra option, the wholesale price to the dealer is the same. The dealer has to do the same paperwork to place the order. He has to do the same pre-delivery prep work. He has to provide you with the same support. The only thing he doesn't have to do is pay to keep a trailer sitting on the lot for months. So his cost should be lower for a factory order with the same equipment.

Negotiating price can be challenging. You do it once every so many years. Dealer sales people do it every day.

Completely agree.

Look around and have them send you the build sheet on what they have in their inventory. Pay close attention to the VIN number (Not Dealers or Heartlands fault) but I missed few things because I thought they came standard but it turns out when I looked rig over closer (Looking for Heat Strips in Garage) after delivery they changed them a few VIN numbers after mine was built. Not upset with anyone but myself for not catching that in the fine print of Standard/Options page while researching on the website. (thought I had it all covered, but I missed a few things...LOL)

My dealer had several 4200's available (with and without DP windows) but the unit that spoke to us did not have the double pane windows. But right now we are living in it 8-9 months a year so not big deal.

Hunter920

ndmac: can you be a little more specific on the VIN number issue? I pulled the latest build sheet for the cyclones and it seems really, really basic. But I do see the option of the DP windows. But what I do find somewhat annoying is you can't pull a "window sticker" of the vehicle online as you would do with a TV, to ensure it has all the options you want. I guess that is where I begin to hesitate a little. I've been reading and looking for almost 2 years now, and still learning, and I'm sure I will continue to do so. Fortunate for us, this will be strictly extra curricular and we can be a little more optional. But, I do believe buying one of these, is to do it right the first time, with hopefully little regrets.

BLHFUN

Negotiate - Think 30% saved with Negotiations on a 100K unit - That buys a ton of Fuel and all the MODS you can think of. Don't be shy, It's your money. ( and buy the Dual pane windows ) :)

ndmac

ndmac: can you be a little more specific on the VIN number issue? I pulled the latest build sheet for the cyclones and it seems really, really basic. But I do see the option of the DP windows. But what I do find somewhat annoying is you can't pull a "window sticker" of the vehicle online as you would do with a TV, to ensure it has all the options you want. I guess that is where I begin to hesitate a little. I've been reading and looking for almost 2 years now, and still learning, and I'm sure I will continue to do so. Fortunate for us, this will be strictly extra curricular and we can be a little more optional. But, I do believe buying one of these, is to do it right the first time, with hopefully little regrets.

On the website that lists Standard/Options it show VIN number for current listings:

CYCLONE
specifications shown apply to coaches with
Vin numbers ending with 296204 and higher.
http://www.heartlandrvs.com/#!dview=modeldetail&c=toyhaulers&sc=CYC&m=627&ajax=?

Hunter920

Has anyone seen the 2016 4200 with the small fridge sliding through the side patio to the cabinet next to the stove? Wondering what that was all about and what storage space was being lost?

BLHFUN

Has anyone seen the 2016 4200 with the small fridge sliding through the side patio to the cabinet next to the stove? Wondering what that was all about and what storage space was being lost?

Same as 2015 - You can remove it from that Slide for additional space if you like. I removed the Slider and the Mini Fridge and replaced it with a 12 bottle Wine Fridge and Fastened it to the Floor. It face IN towards the Kitchen and I just locked the Outside door. I can store my Towels and Coffee maker and still get to the Wine from the inside.. Which is very important after a long day of playing. - 4 screws remove this Fridge if you need added Space.

Randor

We use the side patio every time we use the TH. Great for coffee in the morning and glass of wine in the evening. If you're are staying in campsites that don't even allow the awning out, move rV parks. Your patio stays within the awning space when it's down. I did not buy dual pane windows and regret every second of it. Also recommend all 3 ac units. Garage space needs the During the summer if you are using table or have sleeping guest.
we love our unit!

I have the 4150 with 3 AC units, but there is a switch that will only allow me to use either the bedroom or living room - can't use all 3 at the same time. Is yours wired to allow simultaneous use of all 3 units at the same time? If so, assuming 2 of the units are on the same 50 amp circuit, does it cause them to kick the breaker during peak usage?

Randy

BLHFUN

Yes and no. I removed the plate on the switch and wired all three whites and all 3 black wires together. This makes the switch just a face plate and no longer useful. This was my first attempt at using all three at once or at least being able to decide which 2 I wanted to use at any one given time. Both bedrooms was the goal and this way achievs that goal. BUT.... Running all three is a different story. Mine was on a dedicated 20Amp breaker. To use all three, you need to trace out 1 of the 3 sets of wires and add another 20 amp breaker to your breaker box. I had a spare breaker at the bottom and had an electrician take my living room AC to the new breaker. All 3 would throw the single 20 amp breaker. Works perfectly.

Randor

That makes sense. Having all 3 on separate breakers would seem to be a must. Thanks for the information.

BLHFUN

At least two breakers and you MUST be on 50AMP service to run all 3. There are a few caveats with the 50AMP Dual Pole ( probably not the right terminology ) as well. If your going this route, have a Electrician do the work to insure you are separating the amps between the two sides of the 50 AMP service.